PDA

View Full Version : Rape of the Rock

dgford
08-23-2009, 02:00 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-22-2009/104792_Rape_of_the_Rock.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Rape of the Rock
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 320 x 460nn
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This has been displayed also on the W/c Gallery forum but I value your comments in addition.<br><br>Watercolour on Arches 300gsm <br><br>On a walk around Sydney Harbour, I came across this fig tree with its invasive roots. I pruned out a lot of it in order to get the composition I wanted --- and titled it (with tongue in cheek) after the famous mock-epic poem by Alexander Pope.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Has the composition achieved the objective? The tonal patte<br> at one stage was very complicated --- have I coped with it? Was I correct in using the "erotic" icon? Any and all critiques welcomed.

tgsloth
08-23-2009, 08:26 AM
I don't think it merits the erotic icon. It displays wonderful skill in just painting and particularly with those pesky watercolors. The subject/composition, though, in my eyes doesn't justify the skill you've expended on it.

allanom
08-23-2009, 11:02 AM
It's a skillfull rendering of a daunting compositon. But the title and the use of the erotica icon are over the top and of poor taste and judgment, even for an art site, IMHO. Using the word rape as a poetic verb -- even in an historical context (although I don't get the reference) -- is not something we should do lightly.

Wassie
08-23-2009, 01:50 PM
I love the drawing and hate the name. Rape seems so violent to me. Whereas the roots have grown slowly over time. I think of the roots as protecting the rock.