PDA

View Full Version : Rhapsody

Wheezer1952
08-21-2009, 04:12 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-21-2009/193416_Rhapsody_August_2009_36x60.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Rhapsody
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 36x60
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Here is a sample of my contemporary abstract completed a week ago. I am interested in the response to this piece.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is this piece too simple? Should I add more?

Suvi
08-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Wheezer, I dont know alot about your style...so hopfully someone better educated will comment as well. To your question if it is too simple or if you should add more, I would leave it as is! I find it appealing I really like the swirl of black around the splash of yellow! I wouldnt add a thing!! The simplicity is very compelling!

Wheezer1952
08-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Thank you for your input. I appreciate your response

eyecandy2
08-21-2009, 06:50 PM
I too find it difficult to comment on this style of painting. I like the colors and the way you wrapped the ribbon around the yellow mass. It's pretty and that is all I can say. I'll leave a real critique to someone who is more familiar with this type of painting.

Wheezer1952
08-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks for your response.

Corby
08-21-2009, 09:53 PM
I cannot say as I can contribute anything useful, I am leaning toward implementing a greater presence of abstraction in my own work, ( i have gone stale) but admittedly I dont know what I am doing or going to do. It is not very helpful for me to say to you that this speaks to me (it does) but I havent figured out what its saying yet.

MRSBB
08-21-2009, 11:02 PM
This is not my style of art either, but I do like it and my immediate reaction was being captured by the music from a grand piano. What were your thoughts while painting it?.....................Lenore

Wheezer1952
08-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Hi Thanks for your response. My thoughts were of happieness and free flowing movements. This is a big canvas and I moved around quite freely almost like a dance. Does that sound silly?

Wheezer1952
08-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Hi Thanks for your thoughts. I have painted landscapes, wildlife florals and found a bit of abstract in each piece that I created. I then proceeded to do complete contemporary abstracts and got hooked. Many of the pieces I do now reflect the way I am feeling or thinking at the time.

La_
08-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Hi Thanks for your response. My thoughts were of happiness and free flowing movements. This is a big canvas and I moved around quite freely almost like a dance. Does that sound silly?

not at all silly - we're artists, we get it! :)

it's all pretty subjective with abstracts but i'll share with you my thoughts ... really like the left side ... finding the right a bit heavy ... two morphs below - one is a crop(severe and still too heavy for my preference) and the other a fade of intensity on some of the stripes (easily implemented if you like it) ... just food for thought

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2009/84648-Image3.jpg

la

Miranda_Asch
08-22-2009, 02:32 PM
I think La is onto something here. This is a nice painting, but I'm not sure it's finished and I think that has to do with those black bars not being integrated into the rest of the painting enough. The left side of the piece works because of the layering and the way the yellow blends into the background. The black bars are too clean edged and graphic to fit with the rest of the piece. If you varied the value as La suggested, it would help. I think you could also try varying the edges of these shapes to create a relationship between them and the rest of the painting. Some soft blurred edges, or some of the background colour showing through would help integrate the black bars.

yarddog
08-22-2009, 02:46 PM
I have absolutely no idea what I'm typing about...hahaha.....seldom do.....
I think abstracts are purely subjective....how can there be rules...?
therefore what I type is purely what I feel....I really like it....especially the swirl...
tying the loose to the tight....light to the dark....free to the structured...
compositionally....I feel that the right side is heavy....but this may be part of your message....
............and therefore back to that subjective thing......
La_'s alt of the mix of lighter bars is indeed a bit more pleasing to my eye......it still has the same overall affect...
but seems better balanced....which allows the less abstracted among us to enjoy it more?...hahaha....
welcome to the forum....I look forward to your future posts......yd
ps: I believe I can hear the music you were dancing to......or perhaps I see it.....hahahaha

laudesan
08-23-2009, 05:11 AM
Hi Thanks for your response. My thoughts were of happieness and free flowing movements. This is a big canvas and I moved around quite freely almost like a dance. Does that sound silly?Absolutely not. I have a big studio, and I like to listen to Jazz, and the 1960's easy listening type music. I beep-bop around my studio why I paint. I prefer to paint big.

I really like your painting, I can float in and out of it. I would like to see a slightly distorted quaver at the bottom of the yellow part.

Bringer
08-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Hi,

Let me start by saying that my preferred style/period is the Dutch Baroque, which is a "bit" different from this.
However I like any kind of work as long as it pleases me aesthetically and shows a good technique.
I know that good abstract art is quite difficult, namely its conception.
As an artist working in realism and usually with a reference, I know how difficult it is to come up with a painting from one's imagination, even a simple landscape.
I believe that you did a good work, showing some subtleties (sp?) that contribute to its quality, namely the value changes on the bars to add perspective (something that I like to see on abstracts).

Best regards,

Josť

Wheezer1952
08-23-2009, 07:51 PM
La:Wow I love your idea. You truely have shown me a very positive correction to this piece. Thank you

Wheezer1952
08-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi,

Let me start by saying that my preferred style/period is the Dutch Baroque, which is a "bit" different from this.
However I like any kind of work as long as it pleases me aesthetically and shows a good technique.
I know that good abstract art is quite difficult, namely its conception.
As an artist working in realism and usually with a reference, I know how difficult it is to come up with a painting from one's imagination, even a simple landscape.
I believe that you did a good work, showing some subtleties (sp?) that contribute to its quality, namely the value changes on the bars to add perspective (something that I like to see on abstracts).

Best regards,

Josť

Thanks for your knowledge and understanding of this piece. I totally agree with the change in value on the bars makes it go alot further.