PDA

View Full Version : The Summer of "Hungry Like the Wolf"

Terri5
08-18-2009, 07:40 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-18-2009/163596_TheSummerofHUNGRYLIKETHEWOLF.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Summer of "Hungry Like the Wolf"
Year Created:
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is purely expressionistic and is a drawing that used painting techniques, my method being to lay the base down with graphite and then apply paint thinner to the graphite and colored pencil in successive layers. It seemed to me that in a summer filled with longing and tension, every time I tu<br>ed the radio on, I heard "Hungry Like the Wolf," and the song inspired this drawing/painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'd love any comments/reactions and appreciate (and think deeply about) any insights I receive into the work. Thank you!

Suvi
08-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Terri, I really like the expression in this one!!! THe only thing I would mention would be the bright spot under her eye? I see the reason for this but, I might be tempted to dirty it up a bit, my eye is almost stuck on it. IMHO

Terri5
08-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Thank you, Suvi! I'll have to think about that one.:)

tgsloth
08-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Agree that that song was overplayed. Now the whole forum will have it in their heads for a few days. Oh well.

The painting has a great original feel and look. Agree that the cheek highlight could be subdued. I also feel that some modeling of the forehead to build a sense of volume/form would render that element more compatible with the overall treatment of the face. But the creativity makes this a winner.

Terri5
08-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi, Bob,

Thanks for the great comments--I'll work on the forehead and keep thinking about that highlight (I'm just not sure about the latter yet). I also loved looking at your work--how wonderful that you work so well in so many different media! I loved "Midnight Cigarette."

Thanks again, Bob! Very useful feedback.

Cheers,

Terri

Miranda_Asch
08-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Great expression here, the title fits perfectly! I see hunger in those eyes!

I wouldn't get rid of the highlights under the eye. Instead I would bring the darker value of the highlight (following? haha!) to the other cheek, the chin, and as Bob said, the forehead.

Corby
08-19-2009, 02:26 PM
I am inclined to like the highlight. The painting is like abstract expressionism. The emotion is the point and not the fleshly realities...the highlights as they are seem to define the dynamic to me... to even it out by manipulating the highlights would serve to flatten the face to normalcy. But then my opinion is only one among a potential of millions of dissenters!

yarddog
08-19-2009, 09:17 PM
I like it as it is also...it obviously was done purposely....which makes me ponder the meaning.....
I do think however that a sliver of that light over her brow might make an interesting tweek to the comp....
very strange...very imaginative...very cool....I'm liking your style....yd

Terri5
08-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Miranda, that's a terrifically helpful comment (I'm taking it that you mean darkening the countour/shadow area). Really wonderful help--THANK YOU.

Terri5
08-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Corby, thank you for the insights...your comment about abstract expressionism and emotion really made my day...and made me think. I love to think about ways a kind of abstract expressionism could be incorporated into the portrait and make it more powerful...I think my underlying attraction as an artist is to drama rather than realism. I've been looking at the New Objectivists and just loving those paintings, though those are built on a distortion closer to grotesquerie, of course, rather than any sort of abstract expressionism (but I love it, too). Thank you for your help!!

Terri5
08-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Yarddog, your insights are wonderful and so kind (and I love your work, too). Thank you so much! -Terri