GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Still Life, Monochrome
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18'x14'
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my first still life from oil lessons, please let my know what you guys think as i wish to improve my painting skills, this is meant to be classed as tonal painting as thats what my teacher paints, 18'x14'<br><br>Sandra.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is there enough tonal value in this painting

Granola Girl
08-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Hi Sandra,
Based on what I'm seeing on my monitor, I'm thinking that the left edge of your cup might stand out more if there was a more drastic change in value on your background i.e. that the left third was darker. I love your reflective surfaces!

billmahler
08-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Your objects are well formed, and that's important.
Here's a thought for future paintings:
Most paintings we really like are telling a story.
When you paint try to think of the story you're telling. Is that clown the main character? The pitcher? The bottle?
Or are two acting together while the third looks on?
Once you have that story formed in your mind, your painting will carry it out by emphasizing the main characters and de-emphasing the supporting players.

Miranda_Asch
08-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Very nicely painted, especially for a first time oil painting! As Bill said, you've handled the objects well.

You asked if there was enough tonal value, I would say not yet. It looks very gray to me. I punched up the contrast in this version to show you how your painting will 'pop' with more tonal variation. Make the darks darker and the whites whiter, and your painting will have more depth and dimension.

It can be tough with oil paints at the beginning because they blend so much that your shadows and highlights can blend right out. My first oil painting was monochromatic like this, but very dark and very gray. Every time I tried to add white, I'd blend it in and it would disappear!

Anyways, very well done!

lovin art
08-18-2009, 03:13 AM
Miranda, Bill, & Granola Girl, thankyou all for your comments as i didn't think there was enough range in value, Miranda i like how you made my painting pop its looks so much more better with that, your right "Make the darks darker and the whites whiter". its abit hit and miss with monochrome when your starting out:rolleyes:

Sandra.

bruin70
08-18-2009, 05:04 AM
what is the cup supposed to be made of?

lovin art
08-18-2009, 07:25 PM
The cup is a glazed pottery mug, it was a mottaled earthy brown colour and i found it very hard to get down on canvas.

Sandra.