PDA

View Full Version : Parousia (symbolic abstraction)

Corby
08-16-2009, 12:33 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-16-2009/70790_abstract1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Parousia (symbolic abstraction)
Year Created:
Medium: Other
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 16X20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Casein is the medium, based on milk just as Egg Tempera is based on egg. I am not yet proficient in its use so ignore the uneven fields of color. I would rather they had been even...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I know abstraction is not for everyone...putting that aside, is it attractive? What appeals , what does not? Does it 'say' anything?

D.W. Flint
08-16-2009, 12:49 PM
This one really makes me think (do you smell the feathers burning?) This is the first one I've seen that you've done like this. A nice change and I lilke it...

Dana Design
08-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I love it, Corby. Well balanced composition!

I especially like the lighter colors coming forward and the tonal quality of the circle. Seems to be a time warp with the simply colored squares going back to a more complicated setting within the circle. Yes, it has 'presence'.

Ronni
08-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Corby...I am so very happy, happy, happy!!! to see this.

Fresh, experimental, ridle nature, interesting, reminds of an eye, world, technology, tests, urban nature, space, mystery, centers, colors, close up, moon, in, out, and more and more....

artbabe21
08-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Corby, this is really sweeeeet! Though not an abstract fan, this does appeal to me greatly because my eye is drawn in to the shapes & textures yet there is plenty of space to rest mine eye!! Great job! :)

La_
08-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Wow, Corby! Wild and Craazy man! :D I like it too, vibrant and draws me in quite deeply, that's very cool. I'm not a huge fan of angles myself, but you've balanced that with a pleasing amount of curve. If the bottom circle is really actually as pure white as it looks i'd dirty it a titch but i expect that's just the photo , very 'universe, sci fi, futuristic' for me

la

crazywoman53
08-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Corby... I see that you had to break out of the Summer Heat before you got too hot.. but this is totally Wow! It reminds me of the celestial things, being caught up in the moonlight and stars that we all float up and into at times and yet the squares remind me that we have to come back to earth and deal with life whatever it is. The colors are pleasing and fresh. Wonderful to see!

Busik12
08-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Corby,

The uneveness gives it a bit more intrigue than if the medium did what you intended. If the shapes were solid, I'd imagine some kind of half-baked minimalist-type painting.

I do have several critiques to offer, though. The choice of colors do not seem to have any kind of structure to them and thus they neither harmoize nor clash with one another. In a way, the colors then do not seem to do anything at all, leaving me to wonder about the justification for the use of any color in the first place. As for pure composition, it is not particularly successful because the entire shape is very static. It does not move or play with any planes, including the background; it just sits in the foreground. It does not help that the angles all seem to be lined up with the painting's edges, "fixing" it into picture as an immovable object. While a painting in this style can certainly be successful (and if often a type of painting that I enjoy), there is simply not enough going on to pull it through. I do not suggest re-touching this work, but work on several more and just see what happens. And I think that before it can "say" anything, these types of compositional and color technicalities need to be resolved. As it stands right now, it is an attempt at a variation of overdone geometric abstraction (you have to start somewhere!) and I think that you will need to do a lot more of these before they start to "speak."

Bright Eyes
08-17-2009, 10:19 PM
This is the best abstract I've seen in a long time! Your composition is lovely. And you chose a great medium to use on this piece. Whether you wanted the color even or not having broken up like it is really brings movement and harmony to the piece. Yet the colors and shapes are zesty and alive. Great movement going on as well. Over all I think its awesome:thumbsup:

yarddog
08-18-2009, 12:24 AM
hello....hello....am I on the right thread....? Corby...is that you....?
well...I am definitely moving....I'd estimate about warp 6...?.........yd

Corby
08-18-2009, 11:21 AM
yarddog! I totally understand! This may well be the briefest of implosions!

Bright eyes. Thank you indeed, that should move me on to bigger and better things! I recognize the limitations of this, and I am outside my pale, a change was needed, will it grow? I dunno...your comments are helpful. Thanks.

SUNDU Thank you for your insightful observation. I was sort of catapulted into this genre that is pretty much alien to me because of a commission with very restrictive guidelines. You are right about the color. It exists as such only because it is the only Casein colors I have. If I did the commission piece along these lines (geometrical abstract) it would be basically tones of one color. Your work is to be envied,you have a persona, I cannot conceive of what my persona might be or even if I desire to have a place. Abstraction with basic images such as cubes circles and so on seems to me to be a very small field of endeavor...a cube is a cube a circle is a circle, if you paint one like this, why paint another? ...cubism is pretty much dead and I don't buy into the 'shut your eyes and fling the paint' sort of work, nor the 'paint roller aesthetic' (if it has one) So I am feeling rather naked and out on a limb here...what can I do with the genre...do I want to do something with it...what even is 'it' in my case...you address my problem well! Thanks for the insight.

Crazywoman! I think my brain got overheated by the long hot summer! I am pleased that you like this, my first abstract. It is a departure for me isn't it.I am non-plussed about it as you can tell from my response to SUNDU...

HI LA! Thanks for weighing in on my tentative step into a different genre! I'm glad you like it. The white circle is actually unpainted paper. I could bend it toward an ivory color? But I dont want a repetition of the yellow circle...?

artbabe21 Thanks for commenting! Now tell me where I go from here! ;-)

Ronni! You have all the motors running! Where then shall they take me? I am jaded and need a change, but what. I am glad it pleases you!

Busik12
08-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Corby,

Thank you for the response and complement. I'd say do not worry about where you are going with this, or with any other type of work. If you feel compelled to some kind of imagery, there is a reason for this compulsion. Just continue to do a lot of them and they will get better and more personal.

And I'd say any kind of niche in art is a small endeavor (though it takes your entire life perhaps). There was a point when people did splatter paint (and some were quite good at it), another point where people did make squares and such (and the imagery was unique then). There was also a point when people did Renaissance art, or Baroque art, and Impressionist art. But you cannot truly make Renaissance art nowadays, and if you try, you are simply working out the same problems in art that have been worked out a long time ago, basically repeating the past, ie composing a poem with old masters' cliches. It is the same with any kind of imagery. Originality is something that comes with doing, I have been told, and I tend to believe it.

Corby
08-18-2009, 01:03 PM
mmmm...yes, what you say is quite true in my way of thinking...perhaps that is the nub of the problem...just being willing to step through a new door and work in an already well worked room until it takes on my own persona...thanks SUNDU.

cbcarnell
08-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Very nice, Corby. I am especially drawn into the center circle with the fluid at the bottom. I think it's always good to try and step out of our 'comfort' zone, and you have done so admirably here!

Corby
08-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks Claire! The trick will be in my not inadvertently drowning myself in that 'fluid'!