PDA

View Full Version : CIRCLE OF ASPENS

aspenman
08-16-2009, 08:30 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-16-2009/193926_img023_edited-1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: CIRCLE OF ASPENS
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 14 X 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is just about the last watercolor I did approx 3 years ago before switching to acrylics. After 15 years of W/C, I felt I needed more texture, depth and variety in my painting style - thus the switch to acrylics.<br>This was done using a single edged razor blade and loading watercolor paint straight from the tube (no water used,) a different color on each side of the razor blade. Then with the quick flick of the wrist, I created the aspen trees. I used the razor blade as I did not have a palette knife - <br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any Constructive comments welcomed

DanaLJensen
08-16-2009, 09:38 AM
I really like this aspenman.... love the colours and the depiction of the snow at the base ....very nice.

aspenman
08-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Thank you Dana

gopaintin
08-16-2009, 11:15 AM
I can see why you wanted to move to acrylics. Since you used the watercolor paints full strength, you wanted bolder color that is sometimes hard to get with wc.
But too bad you switched because you have an interesting technique here. I like the effect on the trees. You have inspired me to get my watercolors back out. Good one!!

aspenman
08-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Thank you gopaintin -I have some very bold colored Aspens and Aspens & Pines done with palette knife 36 x 24 and 48 x 30 on gallery wrapped canvas. My color if anything has gotten bolder with acrylics and I work mostly with palette knife. Check out my web site www.jrichardsecor.com and click on the TREES catagory.

Corby
08-16-2009, 12:46 PM
with this one you have totally stepped into the realm of abstraction. Without the direction of title I would think of a multitude of multicolored soda straws in a slurpy!!! It is a wonderful image, both in color, composition, and method! I have a feeling that the blade gave it a sense of being that the palette knife cannot reproduce. That snow is luscious. (hence the slurpy)

Dana Design
08-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Am loving this and agree with everything Corby has said. Abstract...beautiful.

T.Wayne
08-16-2009, 01:12 PM
nice painting and beautiful colors.

aspenman
08-16-2009, 01:47 PM
thank You Dana & T. Ihrig - Appreciate The Input - It Was A Fun Painting To Do.

Corby
08-16-2009, 11:39 PM
I wish to make this a public request. I very much appreciate aspenmans taking the time to react to my critiques via the private message avenue. But I respectfully request that responses to my critiques be placed in the thread line in the forum. The reason being that I work hard in this site for the benefit of all involved. I feel there is benefit for the members even if a critique of mine is not accepted. I myself learn from that.

aspenman
08-17-2009, 12:19 AM
I apologize - you had contacted me in that fashion and I assumed you favored this method of contact - no problem - in the thread - in the future. Again my apologies.

Corby
08-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Thank you aspenman and my apologies in turn that I seem to have conveyed the wrong information! Hhehehe the forums are somewhat like trying to learn an intricate dance!