PDA

View Full Version : Gardens Edge

tlmarchi
08-13-2009, 03:23 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-13-2009/171496_IMG_flow_sm.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Gardens Edge
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've been away from home, (longer than expected),<br>and began suffering withdrawals from painting. This included hand wringing, and an undesirable eye twitch. :) I went to a local art supply store and purchased a few basic items to create this. I will clean up the edges with a smaller brush when I get home.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
There's always room for improvement, isn't there? Tell me what you are thinking. And by the way...the eye twitch is gone now...big sigh!

totsy
08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Timarchi, let me add my two bits before the experts chime in. I just started painting and have begun to experience a little of what you have been going through, so I can just imagine what a veteran you like was going through. Sigh!!

I love these colors, so vibrant.

tlmarchi
08-13-2009, 07:34 PM
That's funny totsy! And thank you for sharing!

The yellow I bought was Cad. Yellow Hue, instead of Med., which I most normally use. I thought it was the same thing, but once it's mixed with another color it becomes very dull. I wasn't really wanting a dull look for this, but I used it anyway, and this is what I got.
Also, since posting this thread, I darkened the area around the center petal to give more depth to it. However, now the horizontal line in the center is annoying me because it seems to divide the painting, and distract! UR...

Fulano de Tal
08-14-2009, 05:35 AM
I would make one suggestion. The painting is almost totally red, foreground and background. By using complementary colors, you could make the flower jump out much more. As an example, I used Paintshop to change the background to the complement of red, which is green.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2009/167030-red_to_green.jpg

You should brush up on the main color schemes: complementary, analogous, triad, split-complementary, etc.

tlmarchi
08-14-2009, 10:16 AM
I like the green. Thank you!

Lavon

yarddog
08-15-2009, 12:44 PM
I know exactly how you feel........http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2009/182771-bgmw-twitchy.gif
so have you set up a whole studio annex...?....bet you're more the pleasant traveler now....
this is a really vibrant painting....it actually looks like pent-up frustrations busting loose....hahaha....yd

mooz49
08-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi Lavon.... this is different from your usual flower paintings ...it is fiery and passionate ....I do like it with the suggested green background.
I have started that yellow lily painting! :thumbsup:

sarasotanan
08-16-2009, 12:25 PM
I enjoy your painting. Sorry, I think the green background make it ordinary.

sarasotanan
08-16-2009, 12:25 PM
:clap:

Corby
08-16-2009, 12:36 PM
This is really nice! Is it a Canna?

artbabe21
08-16-2009, 03:17 PM
well done! :thumbsup:

tlmarchi
08-17-2009, 10:34 PM
I just returned home after several days of traveling, and was surprised to see all the responses to my thread! Oh, but how wonderful it is to be back with all my painting supplies. Big sigh! From now on, I'm carrying back-up supplies in my car! :)

The friend I traveled to visit loved this painting until I put it on the forum. And I agree, the computer doesn't do it justice.

yarddog, You're right about the pent-up frustrations! I think the lack of painting supplies made me want to do something loud! And yet, it came out more of a rust color, than the red I had intended it to be.

mooz, Yay! I can't wait to see your artistic version of my yellow lily! Please email me when you post the thread. I don't want to miss it! And thank you for your positive comments of this post. You're right, it's not my usual, but I'm a moody painter. :)

sarasotanan, Thank you! I haven't made a final decision on whether to change the background color. Just not sure yet.

corby, Glad you like! I'm actually not sure what kind of flower this is. I found a photo on a Chinese website, (and I can't read Chinese)!...yet! :) The flower was more a radiant pink in color. I cropped the photo to my liking, and then gave it an edgy feel in PhotoShop, by changing the color and contrast. It's on the edge of being an abstract I think! Thank you as always for your coments!

THANK YOU ALL!!! :)
Lavon

laudesan
08-18-2009, 07:56 AM
........... I'm a moody painter. :)We artists are all a moody lot..

I love this, it speak of great feelings, fire, yes passion, rekindled love maybe?