PDA

View Full Version : TWO PEARS AND AN APPLE

aspenman
08-13-2009, 11:06 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-13-2009/193926_DSC_0004-1.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: TWO PEARS AND AN APPLE
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11 X 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
IMPRESSIONISTIC STILL LIFE DONE WITH PALETTE KNIFE IN A "CHUNKY STYLE - THROWING PAINT WITH UNRESTRAINED VIGOR."

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTS WELCOMED

crazywoman53
08-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Nice bright complimentary colors!

Miranda_Asch
08-13-2009, 06:57 PM
You could try using variations of the colours instead of using the same green throughout the entire painting. I like the complimentary colours, but they are too uniform and pure. My favorite part of the painting is the stems. I like the direction you're going with this, but for me the fruit and the background doesn't quite mesh. Maybe if you incorporated some of that background colour into the fruit?

It definitely looks like you had fun!

aspenman
08-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Actually there are 4 different greens on the pears - however I think your suggestion re: bring some of the BG color onto the pears is a good one.
Thanks for the feedback.

Miranda_Asch
08-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for clarifying, Aspen. On my monitor it reads as the same green!

Dana Design
08-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Yes...some ochres on the apples would be a good thing!

HRobinson
08-18-2009, 03:40 PM
You are leaving no "breathing room" for this fruit, though the impression is inspiring! -h

LynnDigby
08-18-2009, 11:23 PM
I think the celebration of texture and surface aspects of the paint itself might have overwhelmed your subject. While the application of paint is thick and tactile, it isn't relating well to the subject, and doesn't communicate 'fruit.'

Impressionistic to me refers more to the exploration of how light affects form, and less about any resulting surface topography of paint.

I think I'd suggest that your technique should serve your subject, rather than the other way around.

lastborn
08-19-2009, 10:17 AM
My first impression was one of delight. Yeah for freedom and power and texture. I love it. But I do agree that a little more space jmight be healthy. The stems curl are almost the exact same degree, maybe break that up.

aspenman
08-19-2009, 01:52 PM
LynnDigby - Appreciate your comments. I have always looked at Impressionistic as "Conveying a quick or overall Impression." Lots of fine detail is something I rarely put into any painting and I have to say that most of my paintings are with palette knife and I feel the chunky/bumpy textures adds to the piece. Certainly a matter of choice, but after 15 years of watercolor painting I'm turned off by smooth surfaces which is why I switched to acrylic.
I appreciate your input.

aspenman
08-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks - appreciate it.

digitalH2O
08-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Aspenman,

I don't know the first thing about art, but I really dig this image. I don't know a lot of the terminology such as impressionism, but I know that when you paint what you like, how you like, instead of trying to conform to more traditional methods, it usually turns out better. My first thought when I saw your painting was, "Wow, that's not what I expected." It made me think of the old spaghetti western movies for some reason. I dunno why. But when I looked at it a little longer, I noticed the texture (cool) and the stems. The colors are pretty different, but not in a bad way. Overall, I really like it.

-Richard

aspenman
08-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Thank you DititalH2O - I think you've hit the nail on the head - painting what you like and how you like! To me Impressionistic painting is all about quick, minimum detail, bold and sassy! It says Apples - it says Pears - It must be Apples & Pears. Some of my impressionistic paintings border on abstract. I think texture gives life to paintings and would never do one with out texture and color is my happiness.
Thanks for the feedback - apprecitate it.

aspenman
08-19-2009, 02:24 PM
LynnDigby - checked out your web site VERY NICE - love your still lifes. I could not help but notice that most of your still life paintings have some degree (brush work) of un-smoothness to the surface of the fruit, which I find is giving the fruit life and substance and very nice depth - very, very nice work. My palete knife gives more of a "chunky look" but that is where my impressionistic style comes into play.

Again very nice work.

LynnDigby
08-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi, Richard. I think I might have made myself as clear as mud. It wouldn't been the first time!

I didn't mean to imply that texture is bad or that painting with a knife is either. What I meant was sometimes the exuberance of painting can overwhelm the subject. I like vigorous, bravura brushwork. But I think that it needs to serve the composition. Maybe I'm wrong here.

Also, when I see "Impressionism" or "Impressionistic," I think of the French Impressionists' style of painting. So, i misread the term by you definition.
To me, this work is more an expressionist piece...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expressionist

But semantics aside, I'm not advocating smoothing everything into soft blended mush. I used watercolor for over 30 years myself and moved away when it no longer could give me the richness and yes, texture, I needed. Texture is a good thing!

What I was trying to say was that in this case, I think the process of painting might have led the result too much to the point that the fruit looks like fruit shapes covered in paint. Especially when the background is so smoothly ambiguous, the textures might do with a less vigorous all over look.

Somebody correct me if you disagree. I'm just giving my take on it, and certainly don't think it's anything more than just my own opinion.

aspenman
08-19-2009, 04:03 PM
I hear ya, and it's ideas like this that make the world go round and more so it makes it an interesting place to reside. My definition of Impressionisim is from Mr. Webster - not the painter - but the dictionary guy. I think all of these terms - impressionisim, abstract etc etc mean what the artist wants it to mean to him of her. As I say not at all interested in la de da detail - not my bag. If the fruit in my painting "looks like fruit covered with paint" then I have accomplished my goal according to my interpretation of Mr. Websters definition.

The main thing is we are all haqppy painting what we paint and painting how we paint. Thanks for the response - I appreciate it.

Like they say ask two artists a question and you'll get 3 answers.

aspenman
08-19-2009, 04:09 PM

aspenman
08-19-2009, 04:14 PM

LynnDigby
08-19-2009, 09:42 PM
I checked out your page! I really like your "Pear #1" I think you nailed it with the brushwork definitely playful, powerful, but true.

It must be awesome to paint in that beautiful place! What color! I enjoyed seeing your work. Thanks for posting the link.

aspenman
08-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Thank you I appreciate your looking. That painting was a commission for a couple who were building a new house and wanted sort of a Tuscan/Santa Fean look.
We relocated to Santa Fe 2 years ago from 7 years in N. Scottsdale Az (originally New Englanders - Maine.) Santa Fe is beautiful and the Sangre de Christo mountains are my second home for Plein air. I also do a lot of Plein air up in the almost deserted little old farming community called Llano de San Juan about 30 miles SE of Taos.
The light-the colors etc etc - BEAUTIFUL

Thanks for your feed back.