Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
portrait of an old man

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
i've been working hard. i enjoy painting so much . my goal everyday is to get the necassary things done, laundry, cleanihg, so i can enjoy my passion. this man has a very interesting face,weather wo<br>. tell me what i've done wrong and right.

Corby
08-12-2009, 02:03 PM
valentine girl! I enjoy your sense of duty! That enhances the enjoyment of finally getting to your painting which is obviously a joy for you. It shows. This is wonderful. I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with it as is. It all has to do with what you are aiming for as a goal. Something that will make for a more realistic presentation has to do with getting away from using line to shape your figure. The painting remains very much akin to drawing with color, which is only natural given the form of your medium. But if you wish to capture the visual sense of volume and dimension start thinking in terms of edges, light and shadow that reveal shape and texture trying to restrict the use of line overmuch. I have tried to show what I mean with the elderly gents chin here. Instead of shaping it with the hard dark line, shape it with the different value and color of the collar brought right up to the edge of the chin. Then view the whisker stubble as you would a pattern on a vase. The pattern turns and condenses or thickens on the edges as the vase turns and so the stubble would thicken as visually the whiskers move closer together as the chin turns. Lay this textural effect down on a chin already formed with light and shadow as it turns toward the neck and you have a very convincing feel that has moved out of the realm of drawing into the realm of painting. I do hope this is useful and understandable. In its present style the painting is wonderful. If you wish to forge ahead to different applications there is opportunity! (dont forget the fridge and the oven and that hall closet):wink2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2009/70790-old.jpg

valentine girl
08-12-2009, 08:10 PM
:heart:Corby thanks so much for taking so much time and intrest in my painting.I did this portrait on black paper. I felt very satisfied with my portrayal. the only problem is the final product looks a little faded and washed out. Your rework of my painting is fabulous. I get your message and see the improvment on the chin. it also looks so much clearer and crisp in your rework. How do I achieve this? thanks,:wave: Sandy

Corby
08-12-2009, 08:46 PM
You are quite welcome Sandy. Digital procedures seem to be very unkind to our hand painted efforts when we try to upload and post our work. If the painting is looking rather blah and milky in the upload you can set it right by opening the 'color' tab in your image processor and choosing 'auto' from the drop down menu. From the resulting menu from that choose 'white balance'. If the painting now has the proper appearance then just 'save' it.

The clarity and crispness results from abutting hard edges. To soften edges and make them visually recede blend them together.

yarddog
08-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Looks to me like this guy is about to reach right out of the screen and grab me by the throat.....haha...yd
ps....I envy your keen sense of responsibility....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2009/182771-vacuumsm.gif