PDA

View Full Version : Student Acrylics VS Artists quality Acrylics

animal
11-18-2000, 07:15 PM
I am starting to paint in acrylics again, and I am using student grade acrylics and was wondering if artists grade work better, look better than student grade acrylics?

Gisela
11-22-2000, 12:08 AM
With pretty much any medium you might be using, buy the best paint you can afford. Student grade paints often have less pigment and more 'filler'. Students using 'student grade' materials, often become frustrated when trying to acheive certain effects, because their paints and other stuff just are not that great.

Gisela

------------------

Artworks by Gisela Towner (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/gisela)

Keith Russell
11-29-2000, 08:42 PM
Greetings:

I recommend that my students buy the best, period. The 'best you can afford' always leaves room to buy less than the best--and no one (in my opinion) can really afford to do THAT.

Keith.

------------------
Keith Russell
Synthetic Sky Studios
Science Fiction Fine Art
[email protected]

Epicurea
12-01-2000, 07:21 AM
Can anyone recommend a specific brand? I'm looking at buying some DaVinci acrylics...acceptable price, and I've heard DaVinci watercolor recommended, so I guess it might be a pretty good quality acrylic brand also? I've heard that Golden acrylics come highly recommended, and I like the idea of their heavy body paints, but some of their color names confuse me. Cheap Joe's doesn't list a Golden alzarin crimson - is that because they (Cheap Joe's) just don't carry it or because Golden makes the same color under a different name? Decisions, decisions. Unfortunately I can't really look at the colors online for comparison. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/frown.gif

Any suggestions?

Cassandra

------------------
*Are you wishing, or being?*

*Temet nosce.*

BillieD
12-03-2000, 09:16 AM
I have seen Alizarin Crimson compared to Rose Madder in some lists. Also, have read that when W&N has a color listed as Windsor...whatever, such as Windsor Green it is a Pthalo color.

idahogirl
12-03-2000, 11:12 AM
My favorite acrylic brand is Utrecht. If you don't have a store in your area, they are on the web. Their acrylics are excellent quality, good price with little, if any, color shift.

Dee

cuttlefish
12-14-2000, 05:48 PM
Golden acrylics dosen't make an Alizarin Crimson because they think it's too unstable (it does fade rapidlyin sunlight). Their Quinacridone Crimson comes very close in hue, and Golden gives it their highest lightfastness rating.

Epicurea
12-18-2000, 04:38 PM
Thanks so much for the info! I haven't yet decided on a brand...I've heard good things about Utrecht acrylics, but I'm still kind of leaning toward the heavy body Golden, because I don't really like liquid acrylics much at all.

Is anyone familiar with the brand Duro? I have one tube of their titanium white, given to me by my mother...an accidental purchase on her part, she had meant to buy oil (for herself - I'm scared to attempt oils as yet). I'm thinking it must be student quality as opposed to artist quality, because she bought it at Walmart, but I LOVE the thick, creamy consistency of it. It's so thick it holds its shape when squeezed out of the tube, and it's really a delight to work with. Can anyone recommend a brand name that makes a similarly bodied artist quality acrylic?

Cassandra

------------------
*Are you wishing, or being?*

*Temet nosce.*

JeffG
12-19-2000, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by cuttlefish:
Golden acrylics dosen't make an Alizarin Crimson because they think it's too unstable ...

Whoa, any paint manufacturer that thinks like that, I salute them!

------------------
Jeff G.

msue
01-29-2001, 12:47 AM
Liquitex makes high viscosity paints. They vary in price depending on the color. Duro is made by one of the big name art supply companies, but I can't recall who at the moment.

------------------
msue.artistnation.com