PDA

View Full Version : The Yearlings

steph G
08-11-2009, 05:34 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-11-2009/109483_Copy_of_The_yearlings.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Yearlings
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was taken from the yearling fillies at the tb breeding stud where I live. <br>I completed it a few months ago but it has sat drying at the back of the pile as I have always disliked it!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Lots of people who have seen this really like it. For some reason though I never ever have, and its frustrating as I am not sure why! <br>There is a horse art exhibition coming up and the standard is very high. I only have one other (in progress) to enter, but was thinking of trying this one. I dont want to embarrass myself by trying to enter this if its really not good enough. <br><br>So please :) I would like open, honest crit.

tgsloth
08-11-2009, 06:03 AM
It's a fine painting so I can see why many people like it but I took a look at your website and see the really high quality of your other work so I can also understand why you don't like it. It's not to your standard.

I think there are four general problems. With your best equestrian work, you do a wonderful job of depicting the animals with a large value range in their body. Highlights especially bring out the muscular definition which they have. This is lacking in the present work. Second, the composition of the three horses in somewhat the same pose looks staged. Third, the perspective looks off as the size of the smallest horse seems to be too small compared to the largest when one realizes that the distance from each to the viewer is not great. Last, the expanse of dull green foliage which surrounds the animals is rather monotonous.

Most of us would be thrilled to have done as well as you have with this painting but you shouldn't be.

steph G
08-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Thank you! :)
I wholeheartedly agree too.