PDA

View Full Version : Study, Elderly Man

Terri5
08-10-2009, 07:07 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-10-2009/163596_DetailStudyELDERLYMAN_001.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Study, Elderly Man
Year Created:
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'm trying to become a stronger draughtsperson and am interested in any issues related to drawing technique. Thank you for your comments!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please see above.

Suvi
08-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Terri,
Im not much of a portrait artist but the one thing Im noticing with this one is the lines seems too harsh, almost stone like? maybe try softening them a little? Hopfully a Portrait artist will be able to help you out a bit more!! Its looking good though!!

Terri5
08-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Thank you, Suvi, for the help! Much appreciated!:)

tali
08-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Terri, you've done very well with this portrait. I commend you for focusing on draftsmanship--a critical element to a successful artwork. To me, this looks like half drawing, half painting, and the two approaches are quite different. As I understand it, drawing has to do with line quality, where painting has to do with the design of shapes and values. You are using flat blended shapes for your values, but also lines to separate forms. Choose one or the other. I would recommend that you use line to depict shading and separation of form-as it looks like that come more naturally to you. Remember that it is your job to decide on the most important elements, and eliminate all unnecessary information. Let some areas of the drawing be left as if unfinished to give the drawing movement and passion.

The figure forum is having a great online workshop that I am participating in. I have found an enormous improvement in my confidence and the quality of my drawing since I have started. I think you might enjoy it as well.

Corby
08-11-2009, 12:52 AM
There is a very nice understanding of anatomical relationships here! The drawing shows ability and will mature through the daily routine of drawing. Really quite nice!

MRSBB
08-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Hi Terri and welcome to the forum. I think your drawing looks very good, but I am not good at portraits. I will tell you that Tali is one of our finest and you would do well to follow her guidance. In fact this forum has several portrait artist that I admire. I do believe drawing skills are really important to getting the figure correct. Good luck in your journey and keep having fun.....Lenore

Terri5
08-11-2009, 03:06 AM
Hi, Tali,

Thank you for your great comments. My understanding is (or has been) that drawing can be about either line or shape/form; I agree that I have a gravitation toward line, but I increasingly want to move toward form because I think I can generate better effects in my drawings. I completely see, though, how I've combined the two approaches here, and will work on moving toward form and eliminating the lines...again, many thanks for your terrific observations, and I'll check out the figure-drawing forum!

I appreciate the advice!

Terri5
08-11-2009, 03:09 AM
Hi, Corby,

Thank you so much for your insights--your comments are very helpful to me!

Hi, Lenore,

I really appreciate your feedback and can see that Tali's work is excellent and am so grateful for the comments from both of you!

Wet Canvas is so much more serious and professional than the other artist sites I've frequented...it's a great pleasure to be here.

tali
08-11-2009, 05:12 AM
Terri, I gravitate toward flat simple shapes to give the illusion of form, which is why my drawings really aren't very good--there is little variety of line quality, and instead just some smudgy shadowing. I think it's why I saw what I perceived to be a similar struggle in your own portrait. I agree that the drawing is a good one and that you will go far in your efforts. Contrary to what darling Lenore says, I am certainly no expert on the subject. But Sherrie MacGraw (http://www.sherriemcgraw.com/art-gallery/drawings/) is! Her beautiful drawings never cease to amaze me. Perhaps you will enjoy them as well. Her book is well worth its price.

billmahler
08-11-2009, 08:50 AM
The keys to good draftmanship are proportions and values.
I think your proportions are slightly off.
The face is slightly turned, but some of the features are the same size on both sides of his face.
Look at this nostrils for instance. The nostril on his right side should be smaller than the nostril on his left side because of the turn in his head.
Ditto with his eyes.
Get the proportions right and then you can do more work on your values.

PattJ
08-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Well, my comments are a bit different --- I rather like the draftmanship that is apparent in this portrait as it gives it what I think would be your unique style. Yes, practicing frequently will bring about improvement, but I'd hate to see you lose the underlying quality which might be 'all yours' and would set your work apart. I suppose the question I have is: are you striving for realism? If yes, then you would need to alter your approach.

Terri5
08-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi, Tali,

I've looked at your paintings and love them (so vibrant, so impressionistic--ethereal and lovely) and am so happy that you're offering your guidance. I had an "A ha!" moment the other day where I realized that I should work harder on form in my drawings, so thank you for reiterating this for me! Also, I love Sherrie MacGraw's work but didn'r realize she'd written a book. I'll check it out!

Hi, Bill,

Thank you for your very good eye and for helping me to catch this mistake.

Hi, Pat,

The weird thing is that I always think my drawings are realistic. And then I see a really realistic drawing and come to my senses. If you have suggestions for how to make my work more realistic, I'd just love to hear them, truly; I've looked at your drawings and they're splendid, I think, and so, so true to life.

Thank you for the comments!:)