PDA

View Full Version : 1937 Duesenberg

MRSBB
08-10-2009, 04:47 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-10-2009/114956_100_2607_1937__Duesenberg.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: 1937 Duesenberg
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 10x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Saw a picture of this car and thought I'd give it a go. I just liked the starkness of the car against the snow.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All C/C welcome, I could still make some minor changes. What are you thoughts?..........Thanks, Lenore

tgsloth
08-10-2009, 04:51 PM
You're getting pretty good at these cars! I think you need to work on the snow a bit more to develop surface textures and shadows. Then you'll have a real winner.

tali
08-10-2009, 11:38 PM
You ARE getting really good with the cars! Perhaps the lack of texture in the snow is due to the photo? I think a bit more warmth in the shadow beneath the car would give this more depth. I'l also drawn to the strong contrasts in the design. And tho it is secondary to the composition, I'm in love with that tree!

DanaLJensen
08-10-2009, 11:54 PM
This is lovely Lenore.... the palette relays that cold snow feel really well. Love the car too!! :)

Corby
08-11-2009, 12:27 AM
WoW! Lenore, I'll bet that dude wades through the snow nicely! The houses seem to fit, the tree seems a bit country in a classy setting.

crazywoman53
08-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Lenore I really like your car. I agree with some of the others that the snow needs more definition and I know how some of those lighter colors photograph with lots of white so it could just be the photograph. I'd like to see a road of sorts with a snowbank and perhaps a path leading up to the house to connect them. The shadows from the car, the tree and then those of the snow are all different colors and I would think they should be more similar even though the values of the shadow would change. I sort of get the feeling like there are three different paintings put together here... the car, the tree and the house. The tree is beautifully painted by the way. What model are you going to do next?

MRSBB
08-11-2009, 02:14 AM
Thanks TG, Your right, I should have taken more time with the snow. Will work on that.

Thanks Tali. The sharp contrast between the car and snow is what drew me to do this one. Glad you noticed my tree, I thought it turned out ok.

Thanks DanaJ for the nice comments.

Thanks Corby, You know, no one noticed that there is not one door on those houses and that was the way the picture looked. Now how do you suppose those rich people get in and out?

Hi Crazy. Thanks for the comments, but no only one picture for this one. Like tg said, I will work some more on the snow. I have been so occupied with a pen and ink class, that I had to take a break and do a fun car painting. Don't know what car will be my next victim, but surely there is another one calling me. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone........Lenore

billmahler
08-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Good car, Lenore!

but surely there is another one calling me. Any suggestions?

1936 Ford Phaeton 4 door convertible- the one with the suicide doors.
During the 50's one of my fellow GI's had a red one and we cruised Rte 66 thru the Mojave desert with it.
The ladies flocked to it like honey.

MRSBB
08-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Hi Bill and thank you for the comment. Can you tell me if this is what your suicide doors looked like?........Thanks, Lenore

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2009/114956-33phaet_suicide_doors_1933_door.jpg

laudesan
08-12-2009, 12:34 AM
I fell out of a car like that in the above post. I was a kid around 4 years old. I told my parents the door wasn't shut properly and they didn't hear me. I told them 3 times and then I opened it to close it and I was flung out. I hung onto the door handle for a few seconds watching the tire go around then I let go and rolled along the road. A car was coming towards me and I saw the workings underneath it, the differential. He swerved and missed me. Luckily in those days top speed was but 30 miles an hour. I was grazed all over, and as luck would happen fell out in front of a Dr's surgery.

Your painting is super. Do add a bit more detail to the snow and you have a winner my friend :)

billmahler
08-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Can you tell me if this is what your suicide doors looked like?........

Yes, Lenore, that's a suicide door.

As JJ's experience attests, they were dangerous, since they tended to open while the car was in motion, while normal doors tend to close.
They just appeared in a few models before disappearing, so they're valued by collectors.

greensyster
08-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Well, I go away for a short period and come back to find you have become a master automobile painter! Just love the dynamics you ahev woven between that sleek shiny techno object the auto and the natural gracious deciduous tree.

The ground snow and the building at the back 'thumbs up' also. I would demolish the far little building as it oops the eyeline around this work.

I love Lenore!

MRSBB
08-12-2009, 02:41 AM
Hi JJ and thanks for the nice comment, but what a terrible thing to have happened to you. My first baby sitting job was for a lady with 7 children. I earned $10.00 a week, but they were poorer that us so I used to spend it usually buying them food. Their oldest girl fell out of a car also at about 4 yrs of age, but I doubt it had these kind of doors. Thanks God she was ok.

Thanks for the reply Bill. I will look more for that car. I was a lucky yard sale person recently and a lady was giving away her husbands collection of old Antique car magazines. I don't know why I enjoy painting them, I guess nostalgia. They sure were great looking autos and had a lot of romance to them.

Hi Marie, where have you been? Thank you for the comments, glad you like it. Now when are you going to post some of your lovely work. Hope all is well in your world........Lenore

yarddog
08-12-2009, 03:05 AM
that's why they called them suicide doors....it wasn't a corporate decision.....
yessiree MRSBB.....you do have a way with these old cars.....
you should try to go to an antique car show sometime....and really get hooked.....
this is a nice one...I like the tuxedo affect with the white snow......yd

greensyster
08-15-2009, 10:44 PM
:)

Lenore, thank you - yes all is reasonably well here now but it did limit my on-the-net time. Didcha miss me? :lol: I have finished three new marine paintings over the past couple of months but didn't post in here (posted Marine forum) but am about to post my latest portrait which hopefully will be finished very soon.

MRSBB
08-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Thank you Yarddog for the comments. If you ever want to see old cars, go to Pioneer Village in Minden, Nebraska. They have Quonset huts full of all the old Chev and fords, plus all the old stuff from pioneer days. I think their are 26-27 Quonset full of stuff.

Yes Marie, I did miss you and your art, but I will have to check out the art as time allows, but I will catch up eventually.......Thanks Lenore