PDA

View Full Version : Two more monsters in the new family size

tgsloth
08-09-2009, 07:48 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-09-2009/124239_Godzilla_Facing_5x7.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-09-2009/124239_Shadowy_vampire.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Two more monsters in the new family size
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 5x7
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I painted Godzilla with Windsor and Newton Artisan water soluble oils. Phooey. They take a week to dry and they stay so wet that wet on wet techniques tend to be overly wet. I'm mailing them to a nephew. The young have more time to wait.<br><br>I've got nothing against turps but I'd like to use water solubles for plein air stuff. I've ordered a sample set of Holbeins. The Japanese may be a patient race but not (they claim) in their paints.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Open

crazywoman53
08-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Wow TG.. I like them both but especially the second one.. Dracula I presume.. I have not painted in oils for years but the water soluble ones sound interesting. I will not however go listen to the Monster Mash song again for awhile. I had that song stuck in my head all day and visions of your paintings going round and round. Too bad I couldn't market my mental images! You'd be rich! hahaha

Suvi
08-10-2009, 01:21 PM
TG, I love the monsters!! second one I would have to agree with crazywoman is my favorite. Just wondering if you'd tried the Golden OPEN acrylics? They are acrylic but have a much longer working time than standard acrylic (which is about...10min? lol)...depending how thick it is layered on of course depens how long it takes to dry..but generally speaking you have hours of time to work with. I had been painting with acrylic but wanted to try using oils, i hesitated because of all the extras that would go along with it (terps) So when these came out I had to try them and so far I really like them! Just thought I would share!

Suvi

yarddog
08-10-2009, 01:29 PM
the fire in godzilla's mouth is really cool....or....make that hot...hahaha
but must agree....the second one is a lot scarier looking...good comp too....yd

tgsloth
08-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Suvi
I'm generally happy to paint with oils. Acrylics are ok for little paintings (aceo size) but still don't look as good. But I hate to drag all the rigamarole of oils for plein air. I first tried Golden Opens about 8 months ago and it was instant love. But as I worked them more, particularly on panel (I don't use canvas while on the road) the thinness began to work against me. Put one brushstroke down, partial coverage; put second stroke down, it removes the first! So I luscious up plein air work by putting oil over the dried Open acrylics. I'm planning to try Holbein water soluble oils as soon as UPS shows up with my order.

Suvi
08-10-2009, 06:37 PM
TG. I am hesitant to go to oils:o so I have enjoyed the change from standard acrylic to the open, but maybe I will have to suck it up and try oils! The water soluble would definitally be the way to go however..:thumbsup:

Let me know how the holbein paints work for you!