GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Italian Mo<br>ing
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a painting for my sister in law for her love of Italy, particularly Florence.<br><br>Started in Acrylic then my art teacher encouraged me to have a go at Oils on top.<br><br>Would love any feedback on it that you may offer.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All C & C welcome and appreciated.<br><br>Regards,<br>Dana

Chia
08-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Gorgeous Dana! The comp with the door frame reminds me of a Vermeer, although the painting style is a little Van Gogh. The light on that door is fabulous. Lucky sister!

tgsloth
08-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Vermeer or Van Gogh? A pretty good choice.

I feel this is an excellent painting in concept and execution. The technique of painting over acrylics with oils is also a most useful trick. The acrylics dry fast but the oils supply richness and blending without having to overly work wet in wet or waiting days in between layers.

My one idea for improvment is to add some items on the table to produce a less sterile sense of the room.

crazywoman53
08-09-2009, 11:38 AM
This is quite charming in the color selections you have used. That nice red hanging above all the greens. Compositionally I think the table really needs something on it to help lead the eye and as TG says to add life to the room. Your sister should be very happy!!!

Corby
08-09-2009, 12:31 PM
I have no experience of Italy, but I usually picture sun and warmth. The patch of outdoors we see through the window seems to have the same color and value of the patch of white below the chandelier. Shouldn't the outdoor vignette be warmed up to depict sunlight or some situation that places it 'exterior'?

MRSBB
08-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi DanaJ. Good to see your work again. This is very well painted and does have an Italian feel to it. May be the photo, but seems the doors are a little bowed, but that kind of adds to the charm of the painting. The painting gives me a feeling of looking into a room of a house that is for sale. I guess because it is so clean and sterile. I would put something on the table that tells a story, not a lot, maybe a book,letter, keys. Just needs a little touch IMO......Lenore

DanaLJensen
08-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Thank you all for your much valued feedback.

Man, I wish I had posted this in WIP's first!! :)

Chia: Vermeer or Van Gogh..... what a generous opinion, and both of them my hero's!!

TG: Thank you for the insight on the items on the table.... being new to painting could you please give me some advice on how I would go about that with perspective, lighting, and size etc?

Anyone else who wants to weigh in on this would be greatly appreciated too!!

Crazywoman: Thank you!! I can see now how items on the table would make this better.

Corby: Struggled with that window and brightness a fair bit...so it is interesting you have commented on it!! Initially the white cupboard (on left) was brighter than the light outside the window and was grabbing all the attention, so I toned it down. Still learning about the warm and cool colours - which ones come forward and which ones go back?? what you would suggest?

Lenore: Yes, been OS and busily painting for some upcoming exhibitions - this piece included! So I have been quiet on the WC front!! But back now and trying to catch up on all I have missed! :) You are right on the bowing...meant to add a note - for some reason my camera is adding that nice little effect to all my pics!! Ugh :) Very straight IRL... though my doors could have done with some tape.....next time! :)

billmahler
08-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Nice painting. You've captured the feeling of the place.
You could certainly leave it as is, but since you've asked, here are some technical ideas.

This shows temperatures and intensity might change it. Please excuse my digitally-challenged workup, but I think it gives you an idea.

Cool and muted objectss tend to recede. Warm and intense objects tend to come forward. The window structure is intense and comes forward. As pretty as that yellow on the wall is, it has to cool down and de-intensify to let the closer objects come forward and give the feeling of morning light.

I couldn't resist spicing up that red chair tho!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2009/111636-Italianmorning.jpg

Corby
08-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Dana I like the values you have in the window. They seem right to me as it is a source of light. I get a sense of foliage and perhaps the ground as well. Its just that it has need of warmth enough to separate it from the interior colors that are essentially the same. Even the subtle greenish yellow has been done with the same color as the marvelous acid yellow of the interior? The problem being that too much warmth will make the window too intrusive, so it must be subtle, simple glazes would alter it. There is the old standby: Cadmium Yellow in white. ( no white in a glaze) For a warmer tone Burnt Sienna or one of the earth reds like English, or Indian Red. Just the very least of these, a 'bristles worth' will do it. Then the same approach with green, for me another heavily opaque color: Chromium Oxide for shadow with a touch of sap for highlight. I would do some smudging around on a scrap of paper until I got what I wanted. Essentially it is treating the window as if it were a small landscape with absolutely no line , no heavy value contrasts or hard edges, maintaining your present value in the over all scheme of things. Another trick for warmth is to substitute Naples Yellow for the base instead of white. It will give you a cool light instead of a warm... Hows that for a challenge! As Bill has said the cool colors will recede and the warm colors will advance. A balance is needed.

I love this room! With the exception of the chandelier (a matter of personal taste) I would move in in a moment! Wanna paint me in at the table working on a painting? :wink2:

yarddog
08-10-2009, 01:14 PM
such an inviting scene....I could walk right through those doors and sit down....
s'pose then you wouldn't need anything on the table...would you?...hahaha....yd

you too Corby?....put the coffee on.....let's have a party....

DanaLJensen
08-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Thank you Bill, can see what you mean when I look back at the painting - could do with toning down that yellow wall.

Corby!! Yes definitely a challenge there! :) Will read and re-read and then attempt to apply it. It is exactly the development I need.

I so appreciate everyone's input!

Corby and YD I have attached a quick adjusted version........ LOL enjoy!! :)

Corby
08-11-2009, 04:05 PM
HHHHHHhhahahahah...!!! It looks like YD is painting my portrait. This is like Van Gogh and Gauguin at Arles...there must though have been a plethora of troubles, neither one of us has an ear to show! How very humerus!

totsy
08-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Is it fine to paint oil over acrylic and not experience some long term problem?

yarddog
08-11-2009, 05:06 PM
hahaha.....I'm so enjoying that !!!......http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2009/182771-laugh3.gif

mimitabby
08-11-2009, 05:14 PM
I agree with Corby; I want to see something that really makes this ITALIAN. If you can't do it with the light outside, put something on the table; bread, lemons, something Italian, maybe some little (Italian sized) cups of coffee. Or show a geranium outside the window.

DanaLJensen
08-11-2009, 07:28 PM
LOL Corby!!! Didn't realise the whole no ear/Van Gogh connection - glad you guys enjoyed it!! :)

mimitabby.... thank you for weighing in on this one!! :) You would know! Will have to try and source some reference pics. I like the geranium idea too!

Totsy - the oil experts need to answer that one for you....as far as I am aware it is quite common to lay down the underpainting in acrylic, then use oils on top.