GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lu's Laundry
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8x8 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A snapshot of laundry day at the home of a very colourful friend.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm posting this, not so much for a crit on this work (it's very small) but to get your collective opinion on whether or not this image would be suitable for a much larger canvas - say 24x24 or 30x30. Is there enough information/interest to support that size? If you think it could work, how might I treat it differently? I'd really appreciate some input before I launch into a project that may be doomed at the outset.

tgsloth
08-08-2009, 04:27 PM
I was reading in some art book that when a client enters a gallery, the best thing is if the painting grabs him from across the room because it has wow quality in terms of hue, value and a sense of the composition/subject. Of course we recognize that many subtle paintings can be wonderful but the gallery manager has to drag the client over to take a close look at such creations. You've got the wow. Do a bigger one, I say.

Here's a sidebar. Despite being a male person, I'm sporting pink underwear because my wife has the same laundry skills as your neighbor.

Chia
08-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks Bob! Wow is good! I'm hoping I can add enough interest in the clothing & shadows to carry the painting. I was thinking of pushing the woodshed further to the left so that I can stretch the clothesline, but not sure what to do about the building on the bottom right...?

yarddog
08-09-2009, 02:35 AM
wow is right....this is fun...as is your way....
I think that bottom right building serves a purpose...so I'd keep it....
the woodshed is really well done....but yea...the more laundry the better...hahaha...2 loads....yd
......is the chimney perspective a little crooked?....

DanaLJensen
08-09-2009, 03:07 AM
Great Chia! Was thinking of doing a 'laundry' painting myself. So many great images around here of washing strung out around gorgeous shacks.
Go bigger and it's encouraged me to have a go too!! :)

Chia
08-09-2009, 03:33 AM
Thanks yarddog & Dana! That's three to go for it, so I'm encouraged.
Dana, I look forward to seeing your laundry day!
Yep, yarddog, you're right about that chimney. I have fixed it since taking this pic & added a vine growing partway up. When I showed the painting to my friend the launder(?), she said she was going immediately home to pull out that vine as it's loosening the bricks. She was pleased with the painting in general since I didn't include any underthings. I didn't promise such discretion on the larger version. :evil:

TScottDove
08-10-2009, 05:00 AM
This would be marvelous large. Love the composition and that brilliant red roof just sings.

TScottDove
This would be marvelous large. Love the composition and that brilliant red roof just sings.

TScottDove

TScottDove

plindley
08-10-2009, 09:58 AM
EIther Scott is trying to REAALLLY make a point or he has computer troubles. :wink2:

I think the major problem is the chimney... not just the perspective but the almost polkadot effect of the bricks.... when I saw the painting, the first thing I saw was the chimney... I didn't even notice the laundry. And the laundry is really the interesting focal point. Not sure what you want to do, but toning down the very even texture would help. On the other hand, the roofs read really well. THe background trees are also very evenly textured with various colours of green... perhaps a little softer unevenness there might also help.

The colours are gorgeous... and I agree... up the laundry!

Lovely picture.

Pat

tlmarchi
08-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Most of my paintings are large, whether they look good that way or not! I just like big. And what an impact this painting would have in a larger size! The vibrant colors are very pleasing to the eye, and I think the bigger the painting the bigger the 'WOW'!!! Awesome job!

Lavon

sarasotanan
08-10-2009, 08:13 PM
It's interesting and bigger would be better. I would eliminate both the building on the rt and the woodshed, then I'd raise up the clothesline to about a foot below the window (which I would center) and string the laundry all the way across painting the clothes somewhat longer. Also a shadow from the left eve and the dormer or whatever on the roof. That's all I've got.

sarasotanan
08-10-2009, 08:14 PM
:heart:It's interesting and bigger would be better. I would eliminate both the building on the rt and the woodshed, then I'd raise up the clothesline to about a foot below the window (which I would center) and string the laundry all the way across painting the clothes somewhat longer. Also a shadow from the left eve and the dormer or whatever on the roof. That's all I've got.

tali
08-11-2009, 12:00 AM
perspective problems aside, this would certainly qualify for the bigger is better, as Bob stated, because of the strong value and design factor. Would you consider painting this with a palette knife? The effect would be lively, emphasizing the strong design and concept. I know it's not how you usually paint, but you may just enjoy it, especially since you will have ROOM! :)

Corby
08-11-2009, 12:22 AM
wonderful! And inspirational! laundry paintings done with palette knife coming up!

MRSBB
08-11-2009, 12:45 AM
So when were you down to my house?:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2009/114956-100_0221_sm.jpg

That's amazing as it looks just like our house. I love your painting Chia. There is just something about the laundry that everyone likes. I bought a laundry painting from a local artist up here. Can't wait to see it larger......Lenore