PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a Monthly Challenge

couturej
08-06-2009, 04:09 PM
I thought it might be a good idea to exchange some ideas on a Monthly Challange.

I've been involved in starting two challenges one in the acrylic painting forum and one in the colored pencil forum. I'm leaning more towards the colored pencil format but if you have other suggestions that would be great!

Here's a link to the challenge in the colored pencil forum: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374012

Here's a couple of links to the challenge in the acrylics forum:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...=499351&page=4 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499351&page=4)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...=487682&page=8

Time to have some fun!:clap:

EZ-ED
08-06-2009, 05:58 PM
why not use MIO or Masters in regular oil forum as topic for month.

Shirl Parker
08-06-2009, 06:23 PM
I prefer the CP version of challenge, not setting a date before which the painting can be uploaded.

jmckelvin
08-06-2009, 06:39 PM
I like the format of the colored pencil challenge as well, though we could always mix it up with a challenge or two in the format from the acrylic forum.

hal_s
08-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I only do landscape paintings. Not because I disrespect other subjects, but because I made a decision that I wanted to try to get good at one genre.

Maybe if each monthly challenge had a landscape, a still life, and a portrait, so people could paint whatever they were interested in.

jmckelvin
08-06-2009, 10:36 PM
I only do landscape paintings. Not because I disrespect other subjects, but because I made a decision that I wanted to try to get good at one genre.

Maybe if each monthly challenge had a landscape, a still life, and a portrait, so people could paint whatever they were interested in.
I like your idea, I also only work in one genre, portraits. Also I have to say I really respect landscape artists. I'm horrible with landscapes. Of course I haven't done a landscape or still life in a quite a while.

keenart
08-07-2009, 12:09 AM
I guess I am really at a disadvantage as I no longer do Representational or Traditional painting as I switched to Abstracts several years ago. But, I am willing to try any subject matter suggested.

tali
08-07-2009, 03:19 AM
So how about a “pick your poison” challenge? Choose from landscape, still life, figurative/portrait, and abstract? The challenges could be focused on techniques, materials, and color schemes/palettes, as opposed to a specific reference.

acadianartist
08-07-2009, 07:55 AM
So how about a “pick your poison” challenge? Choose from landscape, still life, figurative/portrait, and abstract? The challenges could be focused on techniques, materials, and color schemes/palettes, as opposed to a specific reference.

I like this idea... working with a limited palette, working with just the knife, compositional challenges... why should we do the same thing all the other forums are doing? If we are the "Salon des refusés" of the oil painting world, then why not do something really different as a monthly challenge?

judyfilarecki
08-07-2009, 08:15 AM
I like this concept also, but it might be fun to still relate it to a specific reference. For example, have an apple for a reference. Suggestions
Incorporate apples in a landscapes (apple tree, apple on ground...),
Still life(fruit bowl...)
Figurative/portrait (kid eating a big juicy apple with a drip running down his/her chin)
Abstract (what ever you thing represents apples in your mind...)These are only vague examples but, using a reference would help bring continuity to the challenge and yet free everyone up to do what they want with it.

Judy :)

jmckelvin
08-07-2009, 10:18 AM
I really like where this is going, it's a lot different from what I've seen on the other forums. It gives a lot of freedom but still gives one thing to tie it together. I think we'd get a lot of great paintings out of it.

couturej
08-07-2009, 06:58 PM
FYI I've contacted Talya and she has agreed to guide and create the challenges. I'm quite the newbie at this so I wanted to give you someone with the knowledge and experience to do the job well. She's great! :)

mawdwyn
08-08-2009, 02:48 PM
I love Judy's idea - taking one object/idea/subject and working it into whatever style or type of painting you do. We'd all have a common theme whether painting portraits, abstracts....

Callie

TheBaron
08-08-2009, 05:19 PM
I thought this forum was put forward to do with the medium WSO? ie for those who use the medium and how to get used to its use? and want hints and tips.

Shirl Parker
08-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I thought this forum was put forward to do with the medium WSO? ie for those who use the medium and how to get used to its use? and want hints and tips.

I'm sorry, what's "WSO" and what's your point? Don't you think challenges work towards those goals? I don't see challenges as a competition, but rather an opportunity to stretch your artistic muscles, to learn more about your tools (i.e. wmoils) and expand your abilities.

TheBaron
08-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Water Soluble Oils(WSO)

The fact that this forum is within the "Oils" forum remains there is already Monthly challenges existing,just because the medium WSO is water based doesn't seperate it from conventional oils so therefore why start up another challenge when they're already there in the oils forum? ie there nothing to stop WSO painters participating in "Masters of the month(MOM"),Masters in Oil(MIO)"

MOM already has a monthly challenge based upon...plein air,seascape,still life ect ect,whereas the MIO is based soley on portraits and the figure.

karenlee
08-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Nothing wrong with offering a choice to oil painters, is there?
BTW, water miscible oils are not water-based. They are oil-based. The oil is modified to be somewhat friendlier to water.

jmckelvin
08-09-2009, 10:14 AM
I don't think it would be so bad if we made our monthly challenge different from that one. Rather than competing with the regular oils challenge it would just be an alternative to it.

judyfilarecki
08-09-2009, 10:24 AM
I thought this forum was put forward to do with the medium WSO? ie for those who use the medium and how to get used to its use? and want hints and tips. If you go to http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/buttons/firstnew.gif (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=577149) Technical Aspects of Water Mixable Oils (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577149) you will find lots of great information. That was the original thread and was a sticky, but as of today, the sticky was removed so people would be freer to post a question or tip that would be more visible to others.

If you have a question or information you would like to share, just start a new thread in this forum and people will respond specifically to that topic.

For those who haven't figured it out WSO would be water-soluble oils.

Judy:)

TheBaron
08-09-2009, 12:52 PM
How do Judy

You misunderstand me ie

The poll set out for the WSO was for those who use WSO to have their own forum in respect to getting information about hints and tips on its use,nothing was said about it hosting monthly challenges specifically when its already hosted in an oils sub forum.

I'm not interested in WSO per se.

greywolf-art
08-09-2009, 02:41 PM
How do Judy

You misunderstand me ie

The poll set out for the WSO was for those who use WSO to have their own forum in respect to getting information about hints and tips on its use,nothing was said about it hosting monthly challenges specifically when its already hosted in an oils sub forum.

I'm not interested in WSO per se.

The poll was to see if anyone would be interested in a water soluble oils sub forum, not a manifesto of what would or would not be allowed on here!

Personally I don't really have the time for the challenges on any of the forums - I'm just too busy, but I see no reason for the artists who want to frequent this sub forum to have their own challenges if they want one!

TheBaron
08-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Please refrain from using my location as a means to get your message across.

I am not out to cause trouble and its not my intention to be quarrelsome,I'm merely putting my point across at there's two monthly challenges already in the "Oils" forum.

Anyway its down to the Moderators of the "Oils" who really have the say in what happens and doesn't,someone is jumping the gun in wanting a MC in the WSO before its even given the green light .

couturej
08-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi everyone!:wave:

Let me clear this up with just the facts. As per Doug the site administrator: "This is your forum and can be used to post your WM paintings, for classrooms, techniques, discussions, and support on this new medium."

Back to the Ideas for a Monthly Challenge.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your great ideas! Keep in mind that nothing is written in stone and if your suggestion is not used for the challenge at this time we may be able to squeeze it in at a later date.:)

sidbledsoe
08-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Janet, as others have suggested, I think a variety in the themes would get my vote, thanks, Sid

Shirl Parker
08-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I look forward to the challenge of a challenge !

greywolf-art
08-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Please refrain from using my location as a means to get your message across.

I am not out to cause trouble and its not my intention to be quarrelsome,I'm merely putting my point across at there's two monthly challenges already in the "Oils" forum.

Anyway its down to the Moderators of the "Oils" who really have the say in what happens and doesn't,someone is jumping the gun in wanting a MC in the WSO before its even given the green light .
fair enough - I really don't care where you come from TBH and I certainly wasn't using your location to make any point, I have friends from all over england (including Liverpool) and we often have a bit of friendly banter - ie. joking about where we come from, I didn't realise you had no sense of humor or I wouldn't have bothered with the banter.

but silliness aside you have already stated that you have no interest in water soluble oils so why get so worked up about what we get up to in here? like you said its down to the moderators to decide what will be allowed on this forum!

couturej
08-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi greywolf-art!

Please read post #23 I think it clears up any confusion regarding the issue of what we can do. :)

tali
08-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Ok, I know it seems like I've forgotten, but honestly, I'm working on it. There were just a lot of ideas to consider, and I wanted everyone to have time to have their say. I was put in charge of the MC, so until I am fired (:lol: ) please give this a chance. The MC on this sub forum will be very different from ANY other challenges on this site. No worries--I can be creative.:eek: TheBaron, we might even be able to peak your skeptical and creative intests.:wink2:

couturej
08-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Thank you Talya for taking this on!

couturej
08-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Ok change of plans here. I'll be hosting the challenge.

What seems to be common idea hear is one reference for each subject.

- Still Life
- Landscape
- Portrait

Are their any other subjects that you would like to see.

judyfilarecki
08-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi Janet!

I believe that abstract was also requested.

Still life
Landscape
Figure/portrait
Abstract

All centered around a common theme.

How about members make some suggestions for the common theme for this month? Then pick one randomly from the choices.

Judy

couturej
08-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Hi Judy,

I have completed making the challenge for this month and indicated that each subject can be done in any style. So hopefully that would include abstract.

I couldn't find a photograph of abstract. If you have any suggestions for the next one for abstract that would be appreciated.

I did add animals as I remembered seeing your great bird paintings.

If for next month we want to make adjustments I'm all for that.

TheBaron
08-10-2009, 11:24 PM
The MC on this sub forum will be very different from ANY other challenges on this site. No worries--I can be creative.:eek:

I doubt it.

TheBaron, we might even be able to peak your skeptical and creative intests.:wink2:

I also doubt this very much,all's you have done is step on peoples toes in the oil forum who went out of their way to help you start this forum up.

greywolf-art
08-11-2009, 06:27 AM
I doubt it.

I also doubt this very much,all's you have done is step on peoples toes in the oil forum who went out of their way to help you start this forum up.

funny, no-one else from the oils forum is coming on here complaining of sore toes :p

couturej
08-11-2009, 07:40 AM
For abstract if anyone can find a photograph in the RIL that would work fo this month you can go ahead and post it to the challenge.

Remember this is our forum. :D

couturej
08-17-2009, 07:36 AM
We now have a monthly challenge. I thought keeping it basic would be a good idea. I've found in the past that if you make it too complicated people who're new to the medium will feel intimidated and won't participate.

I was thinking of adding a subject to have one Master painting each month as well. What do you think?

Do you have any other subject categories that you would like to add?

karenlee
08-17-2009, 09:03 AM
"Do you have any other subject categories that you would like to add?"

How about crushed toes (mine) from the oils forum?

couturej
08-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Karen, we currently have the following subjects for the monthly challenge but I don't want to leave anyone out so I'm wondering if their are others that can be added. Judy pmed me regarding an idea on abstract which I will include for the next challenge as well I thought maybe a closeup photograph of something may make a good reference for abstract artists.

- Still Life
- Landscape
- Portrait/Figure
- Animal

keenart
08-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Here is an old photo that you can use for an Abstract. It might be a bit complex, however, you can cutout whatever portion you deem interesting rather than doing the whole.

Have fun! :)

couturej
08-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi Jan! I think that would be a great one for abstract. I'll add it to this months challenge. Thank you!