PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new Water Mixable Oils Forum

Yorky
08-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Following the recent request and the positive response of a fair number of members, Sarah has created this forum for the Water Mixable oils users.

This is your forum and can be used to post your WM paintings, for classrooms, techniques, discussions, and support on this new medium.

Doug

brushstrokebliss
08-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks Doug for all your help in making this place happen!

Adair_P
08-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Congrats peoples...:clap:

Is this medium eventually going to replace turpsy smelly oils as more and more folks are becoming allergic and sensitive to modern day life and all things chemical...? :confused:

It is becoming very popular, that's for sure....:thumbsup:

MChesleyJohnson
08-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Is this medium eventually going to replace turpsy smelly oils as more and more folks are becoming allergic and sensitive to modern day life and all things chemical...? :confused:

It'll never replace traditional oils, but will co-exist with traditional oils just like acrylics. There'll always be some folks (like me) who just love traditional oils. But I'm enjoying the heck out of water-miscibile oils right now!

couturej
08-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Thank you so much Doug for your help in getting this forum created! :clap: :clap:

Shirl Parker
08-06-2009, 06:17 PM
CMH, I especially like your flower. White ones are so hard to paint.

WTPDOSA
08-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Nicely done Doug!

Congrats on this new forum.
I know it will fill the niche of those who prefer this wonderful way to learn and express themselves.

Yorky
08-07-2009, 02:36 AM
I have moved the art work posts into the "Introduce Yourself" thread which is more appropriate

Please post your paintings there.

Doug

JamieWG
08-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Congrats peoples...:clap:

It is becoming very popular, that's for sure....:thumbsup:

Pauline, one of the things I like about WS oils is that I can use them in life drawing situations, when I'm in a setting with little ventilation. I also use them sometimes when I'm painting landscapes from my car in bad weather with the windows closed! I have a pochade box that is always packed and ready to go with WS oils either to figure drawing or for use in the car.

That being said, I do not get that turpsy smell in my studio! I use very little odorless mineral spirits when I work, and I keep all containers closed all the time. I do prefer the consistency of traditional oils and their working properties, but when I can't use those, going to Golden OPEN acrylics or WS oils works fine.

Jamie

halthepainter
08-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi just checking in. I used to work with wmoils but haven't for some time. I plan to get back into them. I'll post an example when I get rolling.

Thank you for creating this forum. It will encourage me to get back into oils.

jmckelvin
08-07-2009, 04:34 PM
I was a bit nervous about using my WM oil at first because of all the negativity that I saw toward them. I started a painting with them and I love them. I also love that I don't have the horrible smell and I don't have to sit next to open window or outside just to paint. I love all the positivity I've seen so far it's really encouraging.

Adair_P
08-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks Michael..... thanks Jamie..... I've learned such a lot about water mixable oils here already....:thumbsup: I do have a couple of tubes of wmoils, but I use them mixed in with my regular oils so I really won't get the full benefit until I've replaced the whole lot.
That is a great idea to take them to life drawing...... usually folks who take regular oils there are frowned upon because of the odour...... yes, I'll do that.....:thumbsup:

mkayi
08-08-2009, 11:35 AM
thanks a lot for this new forum!

Maybe it'll help to clear those question marks above my head a little...^^

karenlee
08-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Hot dog, a home for WMO at last! Thanks to all who made this happen!

Shirl Parker
08-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Big kudos to Janet.

blue bird
10-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Pauline, one of the things I like about WS oils is that I can use them in life drawing situations, when I'm in a setting with little ventilation. I also use them sometimes when I'm painting landscapes from my car in bad weather with the windows closed! I have a pochade box that is always packed and ready to go with WS oils either to figure drawing or for use in the car.

That being said, I do not get that turpsy smell in my studio! I use very little odorless mineral spirits when I work, and I keep all containers closed all the time. I do prefer the consistency of traditional oils and their working properties, but when I can't use those, going to Golden OPEN acrylics or WS oils works fine.

Jamie

I have not tried water mixable oils yet but want too. I'm not giving up regular oils, just when I want to paint in my smaller bedroom that doesn't have good ventilation. I like to paint later in the evening also and this is wear my TV is. My husband is going deaf and he turns the volume up. He wears this head thing so he can turn the volume down but it must be recharged and has limited time he can use it. I hear very well and am super sensitive to sound!
This poses a problem. :( I love my quiet!

I'll keep reading as this is my first time here on this day.

Nina