GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Summer, part2
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 100x100 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Not finished yet. I changed the photo a bit, in purpose to make it appear more accurate on a PC screen (I have a Mac). On a Mac, that's probably more yellow than on the real painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments

tgsloth
08-06-2009, 02:04 PM
excellent. The shadow makes it.

yarddog
08-06-2009, 02:47 PM
oh thankyou so much for this one....another killer comp....and tg's right....another cool shadow......
even though I don't know where it comes from.....and why it is not on the wall...?.....yd

crazywoman53
08-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I like all of this except the shadow on her torso. I think it is a little hard and makes her look square. I'd soften that some to get her body back to rounded. Don't know where the cool shadow comes from either.. perhaps it is related to "the fog" .. ??? and just crept in. Like the warm sunny glow to the whole painting.

myenglishisterrible
08-07-2009, 03:57 AM
Thanks!

but the "shadow" is in fact supposed to be a puddle of water. That's very simply paint to stay consistent with the outdoor space, but if you "read" it as a shadow, then I have a problem.

Perhaps should I actually consider the thing as a shadow, but then must I extend it to the wall. Or keep the idea of a puddle, but then the painting must be improved to make it an honest, recognizable puddle.

Or perhaps is it good so?

TScottDove
08-07-2009, 04:09 AM
Your composition and use of color is just beautiful.

The puddle reads a little flat, making the building appear as if it is floating. Perhaps if there was some glare on the far side of the water, it might read better.

TScottDove
08-07-2009, 04:09 AM
Your composition and use of color is just beautiful.

The puddle reads a little flat, making the building appear as if it is floating. Perhaps if there was some glare on the far side of the water, it might read better.

myenglishisterrible
08-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Thanks, Scott. I think that needs some glares, indeed. And probably some other things, I'm afraid.

laudesan
08-08-2009, 06:37 AM
Awesome painting, I love the light. I read the dark patch as a shadow too, I love the idea it is a shadow, and I wouldn't change a thing about it, except to have it creeping up the wall just a little.!!

I am so glad I opened this thread, I just love how you captured the light..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2009/22284-summer2.jpg

Please excuse my crude PS manipulations

myenglishisterrible
08-23-2009, 06:13 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2009/122009-ete2bis.jpg

laudesan
08-23-2009, 06:18 AM
I am sorry, but you have confused me all the more.

You have added what looks like paving, but it curves? The brown marks on new paving, now look like chocolate sauce to me.

I think you should paint the brown area out all together, seriously. I say thing in kindness..

Corby
08-23-2009, 11:07 AM
a beautiful image indeed! Why not just leave it as it was originally? Some of the most famous and the most beautiful paintings have ambiguities that add to their ambiance...? How about ???'s painting of "Lady in a straw hat" the said hat being a black felt affair...or where did Mona's eyebrows go? Or what about the downright weirdnesses of Manets "Dinner on the Grass"...not bad company to be in over the question of is it water is it shadow! It would have never read as shadow to me because as a shadow it does not fit the building in any way. It has the shape and manner of lying as water....

laudesan
08-23-2009, 11:15 AM
It has the shape and manner of lying as water....That is what the OP said in his first post, I think, that it is a puddle. But the water going up and over look on the right hand side is what is confusing me.

TScottDove
08-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I think you solved the problem quite beautifully.
I love this piece.

myenglishisterrible
08-23-2009, 03:58 PM
tscott: Thanks!

Corby: right. But I like to control the level of ambiguity left in my works. Here... I don't know. I didn't like it.

Laudesan: maybe that the paving should be a bit more schematic.
I have no problem with the curved paving: on a photograph, that's sometimes curved too, for instance because a cheap lens. Working with the defects of the photograph is part of my way of painting.

yarddog
08-23-2009, 06:54 PM
I see a very faint reflection of the wall in your puddle? I think that is all I needed......
and the grooves in the pavement explain the dribble directions quite nicely.....I'm happy...are you happy?..........
so...will we get a Summer.part 4 before it's time for Fall, part 1....hahaha....yd

myenglishisterrible
08-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks, yarddog. I'm happy too. We have a weather for barbecues, days at the beach an happy paintings. With a month left for Summer Part 4, 5 and 6.