GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: portrait
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x30
Allow digital alterations?: what?

MY COMMENTS:
basically, i am just getting started with oil painting, still developing a style and feeling out what is right. i just need a bit of guidance so i don't go off in the wrong direction!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
any thoughts would be appreciated. i honestly dont know enough about this to know what to ask for.

jesseh1
08-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Wow nice start for a beginning oil painting. I am going on the premise you were looking for a quiet moment in this couples life. I think you have achieved that. There are a few areas i would like to address, His hand needs a little work, the break at the wrist almost reads as another finger or knuckle. His head seems either too far up or not down enough, As far as the center of interest I feel it is with her and the light is coming from the left, but a lack of a cast shadow from the book is throwing that off. You might consider in the future to put the center of interest in this case i would say the couple, further to the left. Keep in mind this is just food for thought. I congratulate you on a great early effort.:clap:

Best regards,
Jess

Miranda_Asch
08-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Excellent work! I like your loose expressive brush strokes and the way you have let the light suggest the forms. There are a few things that just seem a little odd to me. Not that they are wrong, just that they don't all fit together. The woodgrain is very tightly painted and the bookcase in the background feels a little flat and undeveloped. The only other thing bugging me is the colour you've chosen for the man's hair. I think that a more neutral ochre would have worked better with the rest of your palette.

These are just nit-picky things, though. All in all, congrats on a piece well done!

LynnDigby
08-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Your lack of experience in oils has not diminished your vision. wow.
Keep making paintings.

You're far apart from most 'beginners' and the technical stuff will just catch up.

Brilliant beginning!

(I am sort of wondering what is between the two people. Maybe more elaboration there? Or simplification?)

yarddog
08-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Hi sebastiana....what a great first post.... I very much like the way you have used your light....
I too am bothered by the table top....it is distracting me from the people...
the woodgrain is nice.....but a dark tablecloth would perhaps be more in keeping with the rest of the painting?
and make the people more important?.....might make for a rather daring composition....
I think your people are done well enough to carry it off...but only you know how daring you be....hahaha.....
I look forward to more of your posts.....yd