PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Gesso on Hardboard- Problem?

tammy
01-23-2001, 12:15 AM
We usually talk this stuff in Oil Painting forum, but the work I'm currently doing is Acrylic paints on hardboard primed with Acrylic Gesso so I will bring my worry here.

I usually buy the I think 1/8" thick hardboard, but this time I bought a sheet of 1/4" thick hardboard. I used Acrylic Gesso on it (3 coats on painting surface and one on the backside and then the edges).
What is worrying me is that the gesso on the edges is kind of lumpy or should I say overlapped because of the gesso that was put on the front and back of the panel ran over the edge. It dried and the gesso in the thick parts of the edges have chipped off and the hardboard is showing through. So therefore I sanded smooth the edges and now its not chipping off but I guess i should put more Gesso where the board is still showing though?

I don't know. Is there something wrong with the hardboard? I've cut my panels 8" x 10".
It's not chipping off on the painting surface, but if the edges did it I'm afraid the my acrylic painting with chip off too. What do you think? (If any of this makes sense).
I'm worried about the adhesive properties of this board now. My hubby said perhaps its the glue they used to process the board.
Help!

------------------
Don't worry, its gonna be all right....
Tammy's Home for Artists (http://tammy.artistnation.com)

gill
01-23-2001, 09:57 AM
Hi Tammy:
I used hardboard for awhile and ran into similar problems as yours. When we moved last summer I found that the acrylic and gesso would scratch off of the hardboard if it got any rough treatment. It may be that they heat temper the stuff or it could be the glue. I started using 1/4 inch birch plywood instead, it is a lot tougher and only cost about $18 for an 8 x 4 foot sheet around here. I noticed that the edges of the hardboard would also separate like the corners of old books in the library. Masonite is a total different story, very hard.
Maybe some experts can tell us what we did wrong with hardboard.
gill

tammy
01-23-2001, 10:09 AM
Thanks gill. It's has me wondering because the ones I painted on this stuff I have up for sale.
As I said before, the thin stuff didn't seem to have that problem.
I feel that if the gesso covers the whole board that there should not be any problems, but if I can't keep even the gesso on the edges then what becomes of my front side? http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/frown.gif
It might do something but then it might do nothing.
I'm kind of thinking that it only chipped off because of the uneven thickness of the gesso on the edges. Maybe if I sand them and replace the gesso that fell off it will be ok. I dunno.

------------------

tammy
01-23-2001, 01:10 PM
Thanks Victoria, that would be great!
Acrylic paintings can be varnished after finished, thats for sure.

------------------

carly
01-23-2001, 05:22 PM
You can also paint something like Kilz on the hardboard...this will act as a sealer..then just gesso right over that several coats. Applying the gesso in alternating patterns will help to give you better coverage too.
carly

------------------
"Everything is not art and Art is not everything, but it comes close."....carly

tammy
01-23-2001, 09:04 PM
Ah, Kilz! I have access to that stuff. Thanks carly. I already do the alternating way of appling gesso. Its really just the edges that are getting me.

------------------

VictoriaS
01-24-2001, 12:25 AM
I'm brand new at this, Tammy, so I can't speak from experience, but one of the acrylics books I got talks about a certain artist who paints on hardboard, and mentions that he varnishes the edges of the board to prevent chipping. I don't know if he does it before or after painting, but I was thinking it was after. I'm at work and don't have the book with me, but I'll check and, if there's any further info on this, I'll try to remember to let you know tomorrow.

Victoria

cuttlefish
01-24-2001, 02:54 PM
Try giving the edges of your board a sanding with a coarse paper before your first coat of gesso (heck, sand the whole front surface too). This should break the fibers on the surface and make them more permiable to the acrylic suspension. Make your first coat of gesso very well thinned with water (about 2:1 gesso/water), and possibly some flow release. This will cause swelling where you have sanded, as the water and acrylic gesso will have been absorbed by the board. Apply a second coat mixed to your usual consistency. After your second coat has dried, sand down the nap with a fine grit intil it's smooth enough for your taste. Then apply at least two more coats of gesso (more if you like) and give it a final sanding. Don't sand it too smooth, and remember to clean off any loose gesso dust or your paint will peel with the slightest abuse. This should assure a good bond between the board and the gesso. A clear acrylic varnish over the finished painting (don't neglect the edges) also helps to assure paint film integrity.

VictoriaS
01-25-2001, 02:36 PM
Tammy, I checked that book, and it says he uses varnish or Elmer's glue on the edges of his masonite <FONT COLOR="Brown">before</FONT c> painting to protect against the edges chipping or peeling. And that's all it says.

tammy
01-25-2001, 03:29 PM
Thanks Victoria,
That helps a little.

------------------

VictoriaS
01-25-2001, 04:46 PM
Sorry it doesn't help much, Tammy.

gill
01-26-2001, 08:21 AM
Actually something like elmers glue which would be absorbed by the soft edges may work ok. I will have to test to see how the gesso sticks to it, so we probably wouldnt want to get any on the painting surface. I may try it on some of my finished ones that are frizzing alittle around the edges. The good thing is when I get it on something else it will wash off.
thanks,
gill