PDA

View Full Version : the man and his car

TabithaC
08-05-2009, 02:12 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-05-2009/187178_the_man_and_his_car.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: the man and his car
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11 x 16 ish
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The Mister and his beloved convertible about 2 miles from our house. My third and final painting thus far. Done from a couple of pictures and little creative license.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The hand on the steering wheel bugs me. Too bright I'm thinking? What do you think? It was caught by the sun and the rest of his body is in shadow.

TabithaC
08-05-2009, 02:39 PM
You know, I realize now that the photograph is too dark and you can't see the true colors very well. Is there a forum or thread on how to photograph a painting? Also, can anyone guess the make/model of the car?

mburrell
08-05-2009, 04:30 PM
i often pull my photos in a photo imaging program and fix them. You could try that.
Mike

MRSBB
08-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi Tabitha and welcome to the forum. I like your painting but it is showing up a little dark.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2009/114956-187178_the_man_and_his_car.jpg

I lightened it up a bit, is that any better? I do think you would get better distance if you would lighten up the greens in the background. I think the hand is fine. I couldn't tell you the make of the car with this view, but I bet he loves it. Nice painting......Lenore

yarddog
08-05-2009, 11:40 PM
what a neeet idea.......looks cool to me.....
......if the car was moving....the outdoors would just be a green streak....right?
so we must be stopped....what are we stopped for.....? .....to look at something......?
he appears to be looking at something way out there....what is it?...I don't see it.....yd

Miranda_Asch
08-06-2009, 07:33 PM
If the hand is bugging you... my question to you would be, "does the hand need to be there?" As it is, all we see is a knuckle. There's not really enough information there for it to make sense. My suggestion would be to get rid of it altogether, or find another reference that shows a hand on the top of the wheel. Others might disagree, but I'm not sure that it adds anything to the piece.

tgsloth
08-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Wonderful creative composition and concept for your painting. I particularly like the way you've placed his face at the extreme left. You've also chosen to infuse the elements in shadow with gray/blues which resonate against the sky. For that reason I find the rather intense depiction of the green foliage jarring. I'd suggest something more muted also hooked into that gray blue.

billmahler
08-07-2009, 09:52 AM
The hand is not an issue.
A unique look indeed, and you did a good job of capturing the mood.
You used nice variety with your brushstrokes in the clouds.
Look at the brushstrokes you used for the driver. They're basically all vertical. The light isn't vertical, it's moving across his face.
For your next painting, try some brushstokes that move in the direction of the light, even tho the subject seems be moving in another direction.

TabithaC
08-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions. It's been very helpful. Just in case anyone cares the car is an MG Midget. Rule Brittania!