PDA

View Full Version : Blackwater Falls, Davis WV

TabithaC
08-04-2009, 09:39 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-04-2009/187178_blackwater_falls.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Blackwater Falls, Davis WV
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My second painting out of the 3 that I have done thus far. Trying to paint from life on this one was a pain! Too many people who would stand between me and the falls. Maybe that's how it always is - this is the only time I've ever really painted in a public place and on a boardwalk at that. It was an incredibly bright day and there was a whole lot more water than I've ever seen here.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Do you think there's enough depth to this? Should I soften or tone down the farthest trees? It just shouts beginner to me, which is definitely what I am.

crazywoman53
08-04-2009, 11:51 AM
It would be nice to have a reference photo on this one. It is obviously a beautiful site. I'm thinking it is the photograph that makes the whole painting look slightly blue so it is hard to tell if you have highlights on the water or not. You water appears to be coming down in ropes that to me seem to need to be connected a bit more. I can't image trying to paint with people standing in front of me. I think you took on a complicated subject for a plein air project and handled probably better than I would have. I'd like to see more direction of light on the whole painting. Nice job!

MRSBB
08-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi Tabitha and welcome to the forum. This is a beautiful scene and I really like the trees. I like the way the water is coming across the far rocks. When I step away 10 feet from the computer, it looks pretty good to me. On the front of the falls I like the churning water, but maybe a few brush strokes pulling some of the water straight down would add to the painting. If you are new to painting, this is an excellent piece of art and I would frame it. I would hang this in my home. I love it.

Bravo for the plein air painting. I suggest you do another from the suggestions you get here, but don't mess with this one and then compare the two paintings ......Lenore

Miranda_Asch
08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
This looks like an absolutely beautiful site! I think if you tone down some of the "greenness" of the trees in the background it will give it more depth. Everything is so uniformly bright green that it appears a bit flat. Good for you painting from life! That is very challenging!

laudesan
08-04-2009, 10:21 PM
This looks to me like a beautiful place to paint. I think you have done very well, considering you wee surrounded with people.

yarddog
08-05-2009, 12:41 PM
oh great.....now my keyboard is all wet.....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2009/182771-m-puter-waterfall.gif
what a nice scene...I'm always impressed by those who can paint outside....
especially with an audience......can't wait for the next one....yd

TabithaC
08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks, all for the encouraging comments. Blackwater Falls is a beautiful spot - one of my favorite places in WV. I do like the idea of leaving this pretty much as it is and seeing how I progress over time. I'm really tempted to dim and soften some of the background trees, but I probably won't. Onward and upward!