PDA

View Full Version : Swallow

Suvi
08-03-2009, 01:55 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-03-2009/170009_rsz_dscf2389.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-03-2009/170009_rsz_dscf2390.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Swallow
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I wanted this piece to have a feel of movement and flow..

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything!

crazywoman53
08-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I love the colors in this..purple and teal.. two of my favorites. The free simple bird is nice.. think I would like to see the outline dissapear though and perhaps a few brighter highlights to get the attention off the back ground.

Suvi
08-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks for your thoughts crazywoman I was wondering if the bird was getting lost.

anyone else?

Suvi
08-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Any other thoughts/ opinions??

thomas w
08-05-2009, 07:51 AM
I like the colors as well. I like the brushwork and looseness of the painting. It seems to be turbulent but hopeful.

tgsloth
08-05-2009, 08:30 AM
It's a nice idea and creative, dynamic composition with the bird falling off the canvas at the lower left. I have two thoughts for improvement.

You're not painting the bird in a detailed manner but are suggesting it. This is fine but the bird is mis drafted. It's head is too big, it lacks a tail and the wings are the wrong shape. I think if you start with careful drafting of the bird shape and then paint it in a blurred gestural fashion, you get a much stronger result.

My second thought is more minor and subjective. I think the sky colors are too purphish against the ochre of the bird. I'd work in more grays to create a subdued palette and feature the bird a bit more.

Suvi
08-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Thank you for your thoughts! I wanted the piece to be very bright so I would hesistate to add a grey into that. I am curious about the placement of the bird? I find the painting satisfying but would like some insight into composition etc. I have since added some compliment colours into the bird to help make it pop a little bit more.

Thanks again for your opinions I appreciate it!!:clap:

greensyster
08-06-2009, 07:18 AM
The abstract picture is very pleasing - ditch the bird though, else tie it into the picture methinks.

Suvi
08-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Greensyster, Thank you for your thoughts! Any suggestions on how I might tie the bird into the picture more? though youcannot see it well in the picture there are small shapes similiar to the bird in the background, to suggest more birds. If this was more visable do you think that would help matters? Thanks again :)

Corby
08-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Hi Suvi you have a feeling of movement, done very nicely. A cautionary thought though about subtleties. Subtlety is not really the thing successful paintings are made of. The eye and the brain are bombarded with millions upon millions of visual elements every second. Our paintings have to intrude upon that flow of information to stop the eye so that the brain can examine. ( I know there are always exceptions and degrees to any artistic statement) Here though the subtleties do not manifest themselves, indeed the bird does hardly. If it were changed to gray scale it would pretty well be just a flow of the background pattern. Use different color and a scale of values to make the images manifest so as to stop the eye! I am not presenting this workup as the way to go, merely to show how what I am saying is true. One cannot dismiss these birds, for the reasons stated, they catch the eye...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2009/70790-colorcontrast.jpg

Suvi
08-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Corby, You do have a very good way of showing what you mean through examples! I actually did turn this one into a greyscale just to see what it looked like and found that the bird was pretty much gone! I will have to go back into this one as well and see about adding some darker tones into the bird.

Thanks!!:wave: