PDA

View Full Version : Celandine

Mikey
08-03-2009, 01:30 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-03-2009/28043_celandine_7.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Celandine
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 x 18 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've got to the point of exasperation. However, I think it was worth the try.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Whatever.

mroy27
08-03-2009, 02:08 PM
I like this painting. It is both smooth and rough and I like the 'no nonsense' expression. It is unique and the lighting on the robe and face are appealing to me. I am not an expert artist and my views are almost 'layman' like but I would prefer the pink flowers on the top to be more dull and abstract like the ones you have on the bottom. Especially the green bud like things, they could lose their shape, form and bright color, so that they don't make me look at them instead of the interesting lady.

Manju

La_
08-03-2009, 02:16 PM
hehe, oh how i know that exasperated feeling!

this is lovely mikey, i really like the comp and her soft look of contemplation, she looks wise

flowers, well, they can be more work than a face ... i find the large one poised at 11 o'clock a little overbearing in size, but the softness of the lot of them i like, they fit the softness of the rest of the piece very nicely.

la

MRSBB
08-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi Mikey. I like your lady and yes, I recognize that look. Personally I would like it better without any of the outside flowers. I think the flowers on the circle behind her are enough. I find the others very distracting. JMO.........Lenore

Mikey
08-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks Manju. Your opinion is important because artists here need to know why a painting may or may not appeal to people.

Thanks La. I had thought about that flower, so maybe less woud be better.

Hi Leonore, it seems to be a matter of personal preference, with the majority wanting me to do without the flowers. But then you might find the colours too plain. This was a try out to see if I could make it work, so I'm not worried if it doesn't.

Lulu
08-03-2009, 05:52 PM
This is so lovely to gaze upon, beautiful work Mikey.

Ronni
08-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi Mikey. I like a lot this one. I usually can't identify with your closeups, that look to me flat in their message, and sometimes drawn not well, but here I feel a story, a character, a message, I feel you! you take deccissions what and where to place everything. It is so wonderful. I love all the flowers, and the riddle of them up. Hey Mikey, I just love this painting.

Mikey
08-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Many thanks Lulu.

Hi Ronni, this is a tentative step into creativity. I've been practising technique for long enough now. There's no doubt people do like to see brighter colours, but I find that hard to apply to a portrait, unless the model is wearing a brightly coloured dress.

eyecandy2
08-03-2009, 06:57 PM
one of my art teachers always preached that the center of interest should be the brightest area of the painting and you have done the opposite. This lovely woman is the center of interest and you distract away from her with the overpowering background.. I would tone it down. I also have a problem with her mouth on her left side. It is hidden in shadow which makes it look distorted. If you tone down the background you will add mystery to the lady.

Mikey
08-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi Phil, I've obviously broken the rules with clear intent. I really didn't want a painting where people could just say how nice that is. A few people here who know more about me might be able to guess, but those who don't might somehow feel it. This painting obviously isn't for everybody.

billmahler
08-03-2009, 09:53 PM
this is a tentative step into creativity. I've been practising technique for long enough now
Applause. Applause
We need to venture out of our known solutions more, and this is a good attempt
I like the composition as is, but you need to work on the peripheral items to raise their rendering a notch without detracting from the center of interest.
That's an unheralded skill, but it's an essential one.

yarddog
08-04-2009, 04:23 PM
really love the idea........lovely composition.....very creative....
your subject is ...of course... beautiful....I like the way she's so gently lit from the moon....?
the silhouette affect makes me think of the ricepaper elements of a teahouse......
do you not like painting flowers....? perhaps a different species...or even some "orient-art-deco" ?
well...you can see that I'm stuck now in the teahouse.... huh....sorry........hahaha....
whatever you decide....I'm sure it will be beautiful.....yd

Mikey
08-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Bill, now I do have another idea ongoing, but I'm not jumping in so fast this time. I'm thinking a lot, doing some research and sketching with pencil.

Hi, yd I coud have taken this to a more oriental level, although I'm not that well aquainted with traditional Chinese art.