PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Michaelangelo - August - Pop in chat

azulparsnip
08-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Hello artist buddies :wave:
July flew by. The weather here was mild. We have a picnic planned for tuesday afternoon by the river. I want to start using the camera more. You see the new avatar. I was horsing around. Hope to post a picture of the picnic.

I just wonder what was the highlight of your month of July???

I think mine was getting the lino cut ready for an exchange. It always weighs on me. Although going to the wine tasting at the new winery was real fun .

eyepaint
08-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi all!

Robin - love the winky face

Highlight of my July .... getting my little book finished and self-published. It's my fourth little book but the first time using this particular software so it was like doing it for the first time. It's a children's book ... a story that I wrote a few years ago and have now illustrated digitally. It's 600 words and 24 pages and suits age 6 or so.

June - wanted to let you know that I tried making tempera with soft pastel dust shavings and wanted to share with you! These are from the current WDE. I have 5 colours of artist-quality soft pastels so in a few cases I shaved two colours onto a surface and added the egg.

Later I applied OP on top and here's the result of that:

I really like how the goose turned out (in both versions)

Cheers,

artbyjune
08-03-2009, 01:44 AM
Hi. Robin I like the new avatar.

EP, I never thought of trying OP over egg tempera. The flying goose is great That was a wonderful photo from the WDE this weekend. I saved it but never got around to doing something...I slept ALL day. Must have been tired!!

My highlight for JULY was discovering Paula Modersohn-Becker. I loved 'copying' her child with goldfish. I used tempera grassa and mixed my egg yolk with water-soluble oil paint. Its a great method. I did it on a traditional gesso panel...I wonder if you can use tempera grassa on other surfaces? Traditional gesso panels take ages to prepare and I haven't any left.

trafford
08-03-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm loving all the experiments in egg tempera. EP, I especially like your geese. The July here was sort of raw and nasty. I wrote a lot in W/C, but didn't get much art work done.

I did take a vacation by armchair, Rented PBS series from the library called "Spain...on the road again" with Gwenyth Paltrow, Mario Batali, Mark Bittman and Claudia Basolle (12 episodes)...so I just tooled around with them, visiting great places and eating, eating, eating. Just loved it even though I never left my house...didn't really eat the food either :(

Since there are so many interesting projects in August, I should be able to do some art work. Have my Modersohn-Becker drawn but not painted. Will get it done this week.

August resolutions:lol:

azulparsnip
08-03-2009, 12:56 PM
EP - Thanks. That is wonderful -about the little book, I mean. Are you selling them? We are expecting our first grandchild in february. He/she will be six before we know it. Besides that I like your sense of humor. The birds with the ops over are great, especialy the flying one.

June - glad you like the new avatar - Discovering Paula Modersohn-Becker has been good for me too.

Janet - fun way to take a break. . . August resolutions - I'm not touching that one with a 10 foot paintbrush...........

eyepaint
08-03-2009, 02:45 PM
June - thank you. I need to look up tempera grassa

Trafford - thank you

Robin - thank you. Yes I'm selling them. I'll send you info in a PM. Congrats on the grandchild!!

azulparsnip
08-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Today will be in the 90;s. I'm riding my bicycle to work. Takes about 20 minutes. When hubbie gets home we're going for a picnic dinner at the river. Maybe I'll get some watercolor sketches in.

azulparsnip
08-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Here's a couple of photos from today. This is me preparing to ride to work. That is my "please Daddy, watch out and don't hit Mary Poppins" .

Here is the picnic spot along the river. It was cloudy and it began sprinkling as we finished eating so I didn't get a chance to draw or anything. But it was a relaxing time.

trafford
08-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Robin, great photos...you look like you're living a really fun life. Love the background in the bicycle photo...make a great painting...oh! with you in it, of course. :lol: ...and the river, I could jump right in with a Robin picnic to eat afterwards. :heart:

azulparsnip
08-09-2009, 10:07 PM
yep, pretty fun life!! We lived in that school bus for about 8 months a looong time ago!!!

trafford
08-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Always wanted to live in anything with wheels that could take me to new places.

I noticed your quote from "Metropolis" We just watched the movie again the other night. Even though it's silent, it is still a powerful flick with a great story.

We had a few really beautiful days here, but now it's opressively humid again and I'll have to turn on the dreaded air conditioner. :eek: I hate the thing, but my son thinks I'm too old to swelter. I like open windows.

Moving on........:heart:

azulparsnip
08-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Metropolis, yes it is timeless I guess. I had forgotten it was silent. The black and white is plenty dramatic too. We stumbled on it thru Netflix. It was made pre WWII , right?

Humidity does make the heat hard to bear. Today is the hotest day so far . It was 96 around 1pm. We are scurrying around trying to get things together to stay overnight in the trailer for the first time. We were habitation approved last week. The painting etc still has a long ways to go. I think we will be shuttling back and forth between house and trailer for sometime yet.

well, back to scurrying

trafford
08-11-2009, 05:44 PM
"Metropolis" was made in 1927. Even I wasn't born yet. But just think, "Wizard of Oz" was done in 1938 and a whole new bunch of kids are watching it now in 2009.

Happy dreams in your trailer. :heart:

azulparsnip
08-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Didn't realize it was that old!!!!!! somethings/art is timeless

Love the new avatar

azulparsnip
08-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Today I was thinking about how important WetCanvas and you all have been in my life. I seriously doubt I would be doing much art at all if it wasn't for this place and the people here. I am truly grateful :heart:

trafford
08-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Robin, I see you belong to Netflix. I thought you might be interested in a documentary on the painter Alice Neel, done by her grandsonl. I had read revues of it a couple of years ago and now I find they have it at Netflix. I just ordered it.

If you are not familiar with her work...give her a look up and see if you might be interested in the film.

I agree with you about WC. Very nice people...even the debaters, when they aren't tearing their hair out. Also has taught me to look at things a lot closer and turn them all into paintings in my head.

Of course you guys are my special people....:wink2:

azulparsnip
08-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Oh thanks for the suggestion. Haven't heard about that . I'll put it on my que right now. I :heart: documentaries. I bumped it to the top so we'll watch it next weekend.

Have you seen The Cats of Mirikitoni? It's a documentary about a Japanese artist who was intered in the Japanese Camps in the US during WWII. And his life on the streets of NY.

We are taking son back to college tommorrow. :wave:

trafford
08-15-2009, 08:13 AM
I should be getting "Alice Neel" today....I can hardly wait. The pickings in films have really been bad lately. I'll put "Cats of Mikitoni"on my list. :heart:

eyepaint
08-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm back from visiting family. I created these sock monkeys with my niece and nephew.

This is a sock dog, inspired by a Boxer puppy who was visiting at the time.

Cheers,

azulparsnip
08-17-2009, 07:11 AM
EP - These are delightful!!!!

azulparsnip
08-18-2009, 07:53 AM
aaaack, I sooooo wish I had time to do SOMETHING artsy!

trafford
08-20-2009, 06:12 AM
EP, your stuffed characters are giving me many smiles this morning. :) :) :) :)
and I can use a few...it is so humid here, that just food shopping puts me in traction for a few hours...and then there's the dread A/C droning on and on giving me a stiff neck and freezing me to death. I have to have it though or I probably would just melt away. Any whiff of air and I turn it off.

Gee, soon I'll be complaining about the snow (never!)...OK, that's my vent for the day.

Hey, Robin...I thought you were artsy? A few smiles for you too :) :) :)

artbyjune
08-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Those sock monkeys are terrific, EP. I love those 2 lying on their backs sunning!!

We had rain today but I managed to go shopping and bought an art book (water-media), and 4 teeny canvases (5 by 7 ins). Also got fitted for my new specs. I wish eyesight would get better not worse with age!!

ryster007
08-26-2009, 06:44 PM
LOve that dog EP!!

RYan

azulparsnip
08-26-2009, 09:23 PM
been painting the trailer alot lately.....am trying to get as much as possible done before the cold weather sets in. I might be somewhat scarce for a few days more.

artbyjune
08-30-2009, 08:20 AM
:thumbsup: This is the schedule for September as far as I can tell. Any amendments??

8. September 09

8.1. photo paint along (continued)
8.2. Once upon a time (Gakinme- Howard Pyle)
8.3. Oldies & goodies (Gakinme- Chagall; wildgoose- Rita Angus)
8.4. Art movements (Trafford- Fauves)
8.5. Free topic

:heart: :D