PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Strokes August '09

Donna T
08-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Welcome to the August Pastel Strokes!

Those who have participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies to this monthly challenge, they are as follows:

* An individual volunteering to host the monthly project proposes to a guide or a moderator a new photo reference near the beginning of the month.

* The guide or moderator approves the host and reference photo(s) and the selected host posts the project in Pastel Talk and also a thread in the Soft Pastel Studio with a link to the Pastel Talk project.

* Interested participants create a painting from the photo(s) and upload it to this thread for viewing and discussion.

* The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things.

* You may paint as many versions and as many photos as you like, and they may be any size.

I am happy to be hosting the Strokes this month and here are the photos I've picked for you:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2009/97763-lake_for_WCrevised.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2009/97763-20090120_0819_stilts_for_WCrevisedresized.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2009/97763-P2180427_still_life_WCrevised.jpg

As you can see, something is missing from these photos. I thought it might be fun to let you decide which colors to use and where to put them. You won't be tempted to match the colors of the photos and there should be some interesting interpretations!

Here are a few ideas to help you get started:

1. Do a monochromatic painting. Just use different values of one color. A landscape all done in lights and darks of blue or a crowd of purple people - anything goes!

2. Use the photo to do a monochromatic underpainting then use your underpainting as a 'roadmap' to help you choose the colors you add on top. As long as you follow your map just about any colors will work.

3. Just jump in and paint!

Please remember that we all like comments and encouragement and most importantly, HAVE FUN! :)

Donna

Kathryn Wilson
08-01-2009, 08:26 AM
This should be a very interesting challenge! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Donna T
08-01-2009, 08:51 AM
I forgot to mention that these aren't digital photos - they are photos of old photos! :lol: Oldies, except for the houseplant.

Donna

CM Neidhofer
08-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Wow.....very interesting!!

Christine

Colorix
08-01-2009, 03:37 PM
I call that a Challenge! Will be *very* interesting to see, and I'm tempted to give it a shot, too.

bchlvr
08-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Love the challenge! Should be fun having our minds do the work.

Donna T
08-02-2009, 08:26 AM
I could give you all a clue as to what season the landscape photo was taken but I want to see what you come up with. ;)

Donna

Colorix
08-02-2009, 10:05 AM
I bet you could, and I bet I can, and if I guess wrong, I'm gonna eat my hat (fingers crossed) :-D

rgb
08-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Charlie, I'm taking my clue from some lush foliage, some thinning foliage, and the plaid, flannel shirt worn by the guy standing by the tree on the far right.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... :evil:

Donna T
08-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Charlie and Jenny ... you two are such detectives! :lol: That photo was taken in Canada in the early 1980's, and although there was flannel being worn by the people in that group of photos it could have been because of the blackflies and mosquitos which are an almost year-round concern. You decide. :evil: :D

Donna

Merethe T
08-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Fun challenge! And beautiful photos - it'll be fun to see what you all come up with! Lets get creative.... :)

Ruthie57
08-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Now that's really handy as I'm out of coloured ink in my printer so didn't know what I could do next. Now I can just print one of these off and create my own colour. I'm going to start with the first one.

Merethe T
08-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Great Ruthie, look forward to see what you come up with!

PETE K
08-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Hi Donna, looks good. If i get a chance i think i just might try the first twice once in black and white and then in colour. now when you took these did you you use any filters. a filter could change a b/w real easy and make it a different season by changing tones in the leaves. old b/w FILM photography 101. just can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

bchlvr
08-03-2009, 06:00 AM
My favorite is the men on stilts...I plan on trying that one.

Donna T
08-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Hi Ruthie, Pete and Linn - I'm glad you're going to give this a try!

No filters were used, Pete. I know nothing about photography other than point and shoot.

Linn, the guys on stilts are from a medieval festival in Kaltenberg, Germany. The castle is still there (it's now a brewery :) ) and it was a wonderful day with lots of knights and damsels wandering around and even a jousting tournament!

Donna

Ruthie57
08-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Well, I decided to do the first one as if it were Fall, though no idea whether this is actually the case. It's done on velour 10x12 and it doesn't look bad from a distance.......like 50 feet away!!
The photo shows it more blurred while I like to think the actual piece is soft focus!
OK, excuses aside, I'm not very happy with it. Me and landscape are in a fairly new relationship and we're already going through a rocky patch. :(
C&C welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2009/189061-IMG_1521.JPGsmall.JPG

Colorix
08-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Ruthie, great interpretation, and you're doing fabulously with this landscape!

Charlie

Merethe T
08-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Ah, tell me about it, Ruthie - it's like hearing myself! Landscapes are hard....
But you shouldn't be to hard on yourself, the water is just gorgeous!! It looks so real, and the reflections are really good...
If the paper can take more layers, maybe a few more layers of different colors on the trees would make you more pleased? I find velour difficult to work with for landscapes, but it can take quite a few layers.
You did good, especially with the water! :thumbsup:

Donna T
08-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Ruthie, you did a great job with this - I really like it!!! I've never worked on velour and think your soft-focused edges look wonderful. You are right -the photo does have blurry edges (another challenge, I guess!) You followed the values of the grayscale photo and came up with such a nicely colored painting! I hope you'll be doing more landscapes.

Donna

claydesigner2156
08-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Oh, that landscape has me. Love the scenery and I was thinking waaaay north so that part was right. Hmmm...get to the pastels!

Yvonne

bchlvr
08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Beautiful work on your landscape Ruthie!

Donna I just can't resist that one! I love the happy fun atmosphere!

Ruthie57
08-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for your comments! Can't wait to see some more, both of the landscape and the other 2.

Johnnymfromny
08-04-2009, 05:11 PM
how do I CLEAN soft pastl from wooden canvas??
Thanks
John

Donna T
08-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Hi John, by wooden canvas do you mean canvas mounted to a panel? If you can't the pastel off by brushing you could try lifting it with a kneaded eraser or possibly wetting small sections and blotting with a paper towel.

Donna

claydesigner2156
08-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi all,

Took the challenge. Color me purple! Pastel pencils on sketch book paper
8 1/2 x 11. This is the one color 2 value challenge (but a carmine showed up that looked like a medium purple...memo to self...learn to read color on pencil) Also few stokes of very dark reddish blue used on right side. That's it..all the rest are light and dark purple. Can't wait to add other colors.

Crits please.
Yvonne

Donna T
08-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Very nice, Yvonne! I like how that scene looks in purple! I hope I didn't mislead you - you were welcome to use as many values as you needed, not just two. It looks like you used a very good range of lights and darks. Try squinting at the grayscale photo and then compare it to your painting. You might want to darken the reflection on the left a little. Will you be adding colors on top of this or using this as a reference for another painting?

Donna

claydesigner2156
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Oh no! I'm going "hog wild". I got through the restrained part...which was a good exercise that I have not done in a long time. I really did read "using only one color ...many values". that's ok though) Now for the fun part.
I will darken the left side before I add other colors as I want the balance to be there.
Thanks for hosting too. Nice pictures!

Yvonne

Yvonne

Donna T
08-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Bring on the color, Yvonne! Do you have any fixative? I hope your sketch paper will accept a few more layers of pastel! I'm looking forward to seeing how you transform this!

Donna

claydesigner2156
08-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Well Donna,

Your intuitive comment about "the paper accepting more colors" was right on target! It wasn't... even though I sprayed with Spectrafix. I guess for a study of about 2 hrs, it's ok. Might tackle it on real paper. It is a pretty scene and worth more effort. I know the left side is a little "light" but ce la vie...it's done!:D

Yvonne

bchlvr
08-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Nice work Yvonne! I like the left side...and I like the colors you used.

Donna T
08-05-2009, 06:57 PM
I like the way this turned out, Yvonne! Your colors look great on top of the purple base. Sort of like working on a toned paper only better - you had values to follow.

Donna

claydesigner2156
08-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks Linn and Donna. And Donna...thanks for such a nice picture.

Yvonne

jmcedeno
08-08-2009, 03:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2009/159973-Lake_in_the_Fall-IMG_0817.jpg Donna, thank you for hosting the Pastel Challenge for August'09, I'm working on the Lake or River, and hopefully on the African Violet house plant if time allows. Here I'm posting one for C&C, it is a WIP.

Donna T
08-08-2009, 05:42 PM
This is so pretty, Jose! I love the softness of your reflections - how are you doing that? The tree colors are just gorgeous! What surface are you working on?

It is so exciting for me to see these paintings! Even though my original photo is nice, it is nothing compared to these beautiful interpretations! :clap: I hope there are more on the way!

Donna

jmcedeno
08-08-2009, 06:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2009/159973-Lake_in_the_Fall-IMG_0817.jpg Hi!, everyone I'd like to submit my first challenge for your C&C, this is a WIP, I feel that its close to be finished but there might be some room for improvement, what do you think?

jmcedeno
08-08-2009, 06:57 PM
This is so pretty, Jose! I love the softness of your reflections - how are you doing that? The tree colors are just gorgeous! What surface are you working on?

It is so exciting for me to see these paintings! Even though my original photo is nice, it is nothing compared to these beautiful interpretations! :clap: I hope there are more on the way!

Donna

Hello, Donna I'm delightful to know that you like my try to the challenge, the softness of the reflections is done by simply smearing with my middle finger on Wallis sanded paper but honestly I don't recommend that technique because the tip gets soared and irritated after awhile, then I switch to rubber gloves (surgery like type) it works but nothing like the tip of your fingers (weird!)

jmcedeno
08-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Well Donna,

Your intuitive comment about "the paper accepting more colors" was right on target! It wasn't... even though I sprayed with Spectrafix. I guess for a study of about 2 hrs, it's ok. Might tackle it on real paper. It is a pretty scene and worth more effort. I know the left side is a little "light" but ce la vie...it's done!:D

Yvonne

Hi Ivonne,
Donna's suggestions are on target but here is something else I captured, I stood back six feet from the screen and I saw a pretty moonlight evening in your painting so here are a couple of things you might try: darken the large trees on the left side of the foreground as well as the reflections; lighten the treetops and darken the lower part; try to break up the edge of the reflections so they are not in a continuous line; gray the pink light on the sky so it looks more like moonlight shining from above and beyond.

bchlvr
08-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Lovely colors Jose' and I really like the feel of the open water and depth!

PETE K
08-10-2009, 12:47 AM
Well Hi All! WOW got me a chance to paint. it a black and white and a bunch of grays soft and semi hard pastels, on 9/12 watercolour ruff paper gesso/pumice. C&C plaese. but first let me tell y'all how good your paintings are. this is a great chalenge for me.

Hi Ruthie, very nice interpetation on what colours to put into this love it.

Hi Yvonne, very well done, sure do like it. and i do agree it kind of looks like a sunset,

Jose, very nice fall colours you used here, well done.

OK Here is my interpetation of the first one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2009/131537-100_1047.jpg

rgb
08-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Pete, that's beautiful. Are you sure you want to spoil it with colors? :wink2:

PETE K
08-10-2009, 02:01 AM
Jenny, thanks! but this one is done as is. i will try one in colour but not on this one. it will be a whole new one. I kind of like it in b/w. i did a lot of film photography for close to 30 years in b/w. kind of miss it after this one if you know what i mean. thanks again.

bchlvr
08-10-2009, 05:29 AM
Great job Pete! Good values captured the scene well.

Donna T
08-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Pete, this is gorgeous! As much as I love color there are times when a painting done in shades of gray says it all. You really did a great job with the values - even on the tree trunks! Beautiful soft reflections too! I would never guess this is on rough watercolor paper. It just looks so smooth.

Donna

PETE K
08-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Well Linn, thank you ever so much, it was a little different but sure had fun doing it.

Hi Donna, thank you! I just love b/w, colours is nice but it dominates at times way to much. I don't know which version you got but i found out on my lap top It is in cold grays like i painted it and on my desk top it warm grays, and untill you mentioned the tree trunks i didn't even realize i did that. i think thats some of the texture comming through from the paper when i sofften it. sometimes things just work out. thanks again

Donna T
08-10-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm seeing warm grays, Pete, and I like them very much. I never really thought about how different a painting would feel depending on the temperature of the grays that are used. I don't like to be cold so that's probably why I prefer the warm version. :)

Donna

Ruthie57
08-10-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm seeing warm greys and a hint of pink. In fact the more I look at it the more colour I see :) It's very good too. And thanks for your comment about mine Pete. I wish I hadn't used velour but I have loads of it and, well, the more I use it the less I like it!
jmcedeno. That's beautiful!
Yvonne Yours is brilliant for not very good paper and I like the way you used one colour first. I sort of did that too and it did help with the values.

robertsloan2
08-14-2009, 03:59 AM
Donna, thank you for hosting! I can't believe I didn't even look at this Pastel Strokes till tonight, but my access has been wobbling anyway. The photos are gorgeous, I especially love that lake landscape. I'm a landscape nut anyway.

The African Violet is intriguing too because I used to have one, so colors on it would be from memory and true to memory. I had a purple one and a pink one at different times, they were cool but they never bloomed again after I got them home.

Everyone's renderings of the landscape are so different and so beautiful.

Ruthie, don't run yourself down, yours rocks. If you wanted to work on it some more, I'd suggest looking over the tree textures in Jose's, the foliage on the lower right doesn't look as refined as the yellow trees. But overall it's so beautiful that was a sort of afterthought.

Yvonne, yours looked good even in purple and then when you added color was so cool.

Jose, yours is gorgeous and the tree textures are inspirational as much as the colors. I love your reflections. Your textures are inspiring me to see if Pans can get strokes like that, or maybe I'll touch in details in sticks afterward if that doesn't work.

Pete, your grayscale one is haunting. I do see pinks in it and blues, like you had warm and cool grays in hand and used them subtly. It's so moody and beautiful.

I think I may try this in Pans. I've been casting around for something cool to do next in Pans and this lake looks like just the thing! I wanted to try one of the PastelMat sheets and this could be a good subject for it.

Donna T
08-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Hi Robert! I hope you'll give one of these a try. I don't have Pan Pastels yet and it's really interesting seeing what some of you can do with them.

Donna

robertsloan2
08-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Well, here goes! I was going to do the lake in Pan Pastels, but got distracted by reading Susan Sarback Capturing Radiant Light & Color. So I got out my color Conte and a piece of white Colourfix.

Here are a couple of notans I did just to get familiar with the shapes and values.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2009/70184-Lake-Notan-1.jpg
Pitt Artist Pens on paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2009/70184-Lake-Notan-2.jpg
Same pens on paper.

I didn't like the crop on the second so I sketched the whole scene with vine charcoal on white Colourfix and then did... this.

Everyone put on your sunglasses now...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2009/70184-Lake-PS-StageOne.jpg
Lake Scene Stage One
9" x 12"
Color Conte hard pastels on white Art Spectrum Colourfix.

This is now officially a WIP. C&C appreciated.

Donna T
08-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Well this looks like a Sarback-inspired painting already, Robert! Thanks for showing the notans - they are such an important step. So what comes next - the darks? I've seen her book but can't remember how she proceeds once she gets the basic warms and cools established. I kind of like the way this looks just as it is ... sunglasses and all. :cool:

Donna

robertsloan2
08-15-2009, 04:58 PM
The next stage is Refining The Masses. Charlie explained it as "getting the color right" on all the big forms. Not varying it within them, that's the third stage, this is making sure the trees turn dark green and the water stays blue and the sky turns light blue instead of pink (unless I decide that's dawn light). It's mixing colors over these base colors. It'll get a little less bright and still look abstracted.

Then the third stage is modeling by changing colors in smaller variations within the forms. The fourth is adding details and finishing up.

I reread the chapter on Stage 2 last night so I'm all ready to tackle it today. Meanwhile, I warmed up by doing the Pans sketch that I first intended to do with the reference, just to see it in monochrome:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2009/70184-BlueLakeSketch.jpg
Blue Lake Sketch
8 1/2" x 11"
Monochrome Ultramarine Extra Dark Shade Pan Pastel
Wedge Sponge
White wirebound ProArt sketchbook paper.

I had thought I'd do a more detailed monochrome blue sketch with a smaller applicator, but after seeing an oil painter's renderings of assorted fruit and crockery with a big flat brush I decided to see what it'd look like using just the Wedge Sponge. I think it came out neat, with a cool texture.

A different accidental crop because I worked large and then ran out of paper, though I suppose I could have extended it onto the back of the previous page. I like the crop though. It's another fun version.

Onward to Stage 2 of the nice color one on Colourfix... Refining The Masses (getting the colors right).

Donna T
08-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Nice monochromatic sketch Robert! The wedge sponge gave a piney look to all the trees - neat!

Donna

rgb
08-16-2009, 08:45 AM
I sometimes have fun using the sponge with regular pastel sticks when doing trees. It's very addictive. Once the sponge picks up enough pastel from the colors already placed, all sorts of colors and shapes form.

Donna, I'm still circling your photos and the thought of doing a monochromatic first followed with color. Maybe. Maybe not. I know it will good for me to give it a try, but I'm such a chicken. :eek:

Donna T
08-16-2009, 09:02 AM
:lol: Jenny, I almost always do a monochromatic sketch or underpainting first because I am a chicken! I finally realized that working out all the composition problems and values first actually helps me paint a little looser and be braver with my color choices. Remember, you don't have to paint the whole photo. You are welcome to crop out any area you like and simplify the scene.

Donna

robertsloan2
08-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks, Donna! That really makes sense, what you told Jenny. It's why I backed up to do a monochrome study after I got started on the painting. I wanted to assure myself I was familiar with the forms and values, and I also wanted to have that monochrome blue version for itself because it was the first good idea I got from looking at the reference.

I think I'll try for the next stage today, seeing that I got up early and it's bright out.

jmcedeno
08-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi, everyone thanks so much for your C&C on my Lake Scene Challenge, I took in consideration all your comments and I have applied them, and as a result the painting looks a lot better to the point that I think is finished or "near finished". ROBERT, you were right about the lower right corner being weak, I reworked it and its a lot better, I also reinforced the color contrast of the foreground trees and water, and grayed the trees in the far background as they recede. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2009/159973-Lake_in_the_Fall-IMG_0819.jpg

Donna T
08-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Nice changes Jose! I thought it was a beautiful painting before but now it does look more finished. I hope you're pleased with the way it came out!

Donna

robertsloan2
08-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Wow! Jose, I liked it before but now it's spectacular. This is a complete stunner. I love what you did in the lower right corner, now it is exactly right -- it doesn't drag attention away from the focal point but leads it right in. The bits I thought were awkward are gone in favor of graceful swooping strokes that lead across the water -- it's wonderful. Love the way you muted the background too, it has a lot more depth now (and it already did, this is just stellar!)

Glorious finish. Don't mess with it any more. This one is done perfectly!

robertsloan2
08-21-2009, 04:07 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2009/70184-LakeScenePastelStrokes8-09-Stage2.jpg
UGLY second stage for my lake scene. I didn't want to do it as an autumn scene despite the warm colors in the highlight areas. So I've knocked all the foliage down to some form of green and changed the pink sky to pale blue though it's lighter on the actual painting than it is on the photo.

I twiddled this photo in numerous ways to get it to more or less match the painting. I'm not happy with it. It's at the hideous stage. I'm sure when I get into doing the cool Stage Three stuff with modeling and creating textures it'll look more like a good lake scene and less like I put it together with cutouts.

But, my foliage is more or less the right values and it's all greens. Now to get to the good part and start shading things and getting them to look more natural with hue shifts. I can see on a lot of these that I'm going to be going for major changes in hue within the areas.

It's too oversimplified right now for me to like it. But I can use all the pretty new colors in it here and there and do some optical mixing as well. I think it'll come out neat when it's done.

But, I thought I'd post the Ugly Stage just for the benefit of anyone else who doesn't believe the uglies do go away and are necessary en route to the beauty.

Donna T
08-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Not to disagree with you Robert, but I don't find this ugly at all! To me, it has a very good sense of color harmony, much more so than the first stage. Even the yellow you're using now has a hint of green in it so everything has a blue-green bias. I'm really curious to see what you will be doing next!

Donna

robertsloan2
08-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Aww thanks! Then it'll probably look even better when it's actual trees instead of blobby flat shapes. I do like the varied greens but I know they'll be much richer when I start getting them more refined. Very, very glad it works as an abstract, since it should still work when it's more detailed.

I started on stage three but got tired after about two trees worth and some work on the sky and water. I'll get photos again tomorrow when it's bright.

Just as I posted, I realized I could scan just the detail of the area that's at stage three -- though it still needs some work. That aspen right at the edge needs to be broken up and knocked down some so that it doesn't drag away from the center of interest. It kept getting wider trunked as I worked on it, but if I narrow it again and then throw some branches across it that'll help bring it down to reason along with muting its value.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2009/70184-LakeSceneDetail-StageThree.jpg
Detail in Stage Three progress

Duh, it helps to put the image in when editing an image into a post. lol

bchlvr
08-22-2009, 05:42 AM
Coming along wonderfully Robert!

Donna T
08-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Looking good Robert! I imagine this is the fun part - just playing with the different greens and giving some volume to those trees.

Donna

robertsloan2
08-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Oh yes! This stage is starting to look satisfying and I'm enjoying it a lot. It takes a lot of imagination though. I can't study the photo or the real objects for subtle colors so I have to rely on memory and just put in what looks good, keeping more or less true to values.

Because of that I might be mixing stage three and four here. But then I'll know when I get to doing the focal point. I might use pastel pencils on it to get just that much more detail and will put some white next to black details so it's stronger than the rest.

bchlvr
08-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi all! I said I was going to do the men on stilts so I figured I better do it. I cut out a lot of the scene...after I started I said Gee...why did I pick the hardest one...got lazy after I started why it is not as detailed. I pictured their shirts either light blue or yellow...I decided to go with the yellow.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2009/74106-Men-on-Stilts.jpg

rgb
08-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Linn, good work! Great shadows on the clothes.

I'm trying that one also, and my choice is yellow for the clothes. I think they are probably white or yellow IRL, and I need to play with my yellows. I may delete more of my crowd as I go along too.

You are right about this one being difficult, but you did it!

Donna T
08-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Linn, you did it! It looks really good and I admire your determination to attempt such a difficult scene. I don't miss those extra people in the crowd - the few that you have shown work very well. Nice job of simplifying the background too!

Donna

gakinme
08-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Thank you, Donna, for the challenge. I have been wanting to do pastel challenges but I don't have the right paper and now I've lost my fixatives after the move.

But I am experimenting everyday and today, I figured I'd use Japanese rice paper with SMi soft pastels.

9.5 x 12.5 inch

They didn't fall off and it was easy to do texture for the wall behind in the back yard pebbled porch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2009/86669-sp_rice_flowers.jpg

Donna T
08-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi Sandra, nice job on the still life! I've seen the Japanese rice papers in the catalogs I get and I'm always curious about what they are like. I'm surprised that they are holding the pastel so well! I like how you simplified the background and added some texture - I would never have thought to do that!

Donna

gakinme
08-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Thank you, Donna, for the comment. Used dry, the Japanese rice paper could take charcoal, color pencils also. I just need to figure out what would happen if I spray fixative on it when I find my fixative.

rgb
08-28-2009, 04:31 PM
First, I have proof that I cannot distinguish one color from another. This was supposed to be monochromatic with purple.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2009/100978-0908_pastels_stilts01.jpg

After reaching for a dark purple NuPastel, I started to the left of the far-left, small figure. I soon determined it was actually a brown and located a purple. After completing the darkest areas with my dark purple, I looked for a medium purple to do the tree on the right. I did the tree, the far-left figure, and part of the ground shadow on the left before deciding it looked more like a grey than a purple. Yep. Grey. From my box of NuPastels I chose what I thought was a nice medium purple to finish the ground shadows. It is actually an olive green! With my monochromatic destroyed by so many colors, I took a paper towel and smeared color into the background trees and the remaining small figures.

Having spent so much time tracing and drawing the image, then adding the wrong colors carefully around all of the figures, I kept going:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2009/100978-0908_pastels_stilts02.jpg

The finished painting came out closer to what I had in mind than I thought I could come, so I'm okay with it.

8"x10" on Canson Mi-Tientes.

Donna, thanks for the great photos. Doing a monochromatic seemed like such a simple thing to do ...
:eek: :eek: :eek: :lol:

Donna T
08-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Purple, grey, olive green, whatever! Look at how this came out! It's really, really nice Jenny! I like how you said you added the "wrong colors" around the figures. :eek: There are no wrong colors!:D Your values worked so the colors all work! Putting that thin layer of purple over the figures in your first step was really smart - even when you added color later they all still share that one value and they link together as a mass. Neat! I love the shadows too! I hope you think this was worth the effort - you did such a wonderful job!

Donna

rgb
08-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks, Donna. It was worth the effort. I chose purple for the base because I planned yellow clothes for the stilt walkers and thought it would help highlight them. It was frustrating to mess up so much with the mono color(s), but I did have an approximate "map" for the values.

bchlvr
08-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Fabulous painting Jenny! Great job with the crowd of people that I left out!

PETE K
08-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi All, Been doing a lot the past two weeks. love all the beautiful work posted here.

Linn great job on your people. i'm not good with people, I need to practice more.

Jenny, Who said you don't know what purple is this one is just great. all the people in the background are fantastic.

rgb
08-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Linn, thanks. I still left some people out. Be glad you left out more. It wasn't fun keeping up with all those bodies and matching heads and feet. Then I had to give them different stances and clothes. Yours was the wiser choice.

Pete, thanks.

Donna T
08-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Today's the last day of August! I just want to thank all of you who gave this challenge a try (and thanks for not fussing about the lack of color in the photos!) Of course you can keep adding paintings at any time. You guys did some great work! :clap:

Donna

rgb
08-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks for hosting, Donna!

I may try the lake scene sometime using autumn colors. I'm betting the light-colored trees are autumn colors and not spring greens. And, yes, I lied about seeing a guy in a plaid shirt on the far right.

PETE K
08-31-2009, 10:16 PM
Thank you Donna for being such a great host and the fine pic's you gave us to work with. I still haven't got to do the lake scene in colour as of yet but will still try somethime later. lot's still happening. this month is still going to be ruff. hope next month gets easyer and i could get back to norm somewhat. thank you again for being here for us.

rgb
09-06-2009, 01:07 AM
Tried one more. I have one PanPastel, Raw Umber Shade, so I tried it for the monochrome. I used a sponge and patted and stroked the color on. Only the amount of pastel used made the difference in shades. Color was added on top of the monochrome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2009/100978-0908_pastels_lake01.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2009/100978-0908_pastels_lake02.jpg

The monochrome was sprayed lightly with SpectraFix, and it was easy to add the colors on top. I lost interest before completing the trees on the left, or I could not focus on doing the painting, so I finished it off and called it quits.

I did notice that I must be handling pastels better even though things weren't going as I wanted. The "mechanics" of using pastel sticks is becoming easier.

8"x10", Canson Mi-Tientes.

Donna T
09-06-2009, 09:02 AM
What a neat way to do an underpainting Jenny! I like the smooth look you got with the PanPastel and it's great that you can get such a variety in values just by adding more layers of the pastel. Your finished painting is wonderful! I'm glad you quit when you did - it doesn't need anything else!

Donna

rgb
09-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks, Donna!

There is actually very little PanPastel. The darkest areas might be considered one layer, and the lighter areas were simply less pastel. All of it much less than if I had used stick pastels, and it really took care of any "white holes" problems.