PDA

View Full Version : August 2009 - Oil Pastel Monthly Challenge

Pages : [1] 2

oldrockchick
07-31-2009, 04:21 PM
:wave: Hello all and welcome to my first ever WC hosting event. I hope you won't be disappointed by my choices.

I am posting 3 choices so that there should be something for all abilities with the opportunity to hone different skills. One is about texture, one about shape, form and composition and the other is for colour experimentation and is a real stinker that should stretch us all.

All references taken and provided by myself so are copywrite and restriction free.

Feel free to do one or all of the challenges and post here the finished works or just a WIP so we can see how you are getting along, share your techiniques or even ask for guidance.

Thank you Pat for helping me decide and for your help and advice. Now I look forward to the party.:wave:
/Lin

My first choice is one to practice textures with a simple creature. A study of soft feathers, wood, stones and grass. This hen was amongst a collection wandering around a vineyard in Wales.

Vineyard Hen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2009/179312-OP_REF_Vineyard_Hen.jpg

Next, a trip to Merrie England with a jousting match at Warwick Castle full of colour and pagaentry. This photo has a strange compositon so use your creativity to crop, amend, add or exclude to make your own version.

Jousting at Ye Olde Warwicke Castle
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2009/179312-OP_REF_Jousting.jpg

and finally.... your mission should you choose to take it....

The stinker :evil:

Two challenges come with this (last image only), feel free to choose one, or both if you wish.

Challenge 1 - Do this ref making the greens as natural and realistic as possible.

Challenge 2 - Do this ref either as seen, or however you like but the rule is to use NO green oil pastels at all!!

Please state which challenge you have chosen with your work.

Wild Rhubarb at Arbury Hall Garden
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2009/179312-OP_REf_3_May_09_Wild_Rhubarb.JPG

Pat Isaac
07-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks for hosting, Lin. Definitely some challenges here....

Pat

wildart129
07-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Wow, some really nice and challenging references Lin. I think I might try the jousting horse in yellow.:thumbsup: :D

Scarefishcrow
07-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Lin, thanks for hosting and great RI's. Also thanks for making the Challenge interesting by having a Challenge within the Challenge.

Maybe I will be able to do this month's as I have missed out recently!

Bill
:clap: :clap:

bchlvr
07-31-2009, 09:04 PM
I agree...these are a challenge...especially the landscape one with the rhubarb and all of the green. Have to try them all though!

Art Pie
07-31-2009, 11:21 PM
Oh wow.........what an interesting set of pics for me to ponder on.
Great pics Lin, and what a great challenge (I think !!! :o )

I might just about manage the chicken, hahaha, (I'm being a chicken about the other two :eek: ). Actually, thinking about it now, I've never painted a chicken before either. Ah well, how hard could that be?

pumkin54
08-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Ah well, how hard could that be?Famous last words? :lol:

Art Pie
08-01-2009, 03:54 AM
Famous last words? :lol:

Hmmmmm..........

If I can't paint it......then I'll fake it. :D Turn it into something else less challenging :evil: :evil: :evil:

oldrockchick
08-01-2009, 07:03 AM
argh - I might have expected some fouwl :wink2::lol: chicken jokes :rolleyes:

gakinme
08-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Haha...what is that chicken doing there? Trying to figure out how to take a step down? Very cute photo. Or is it a bit drunken? You know in Hong Kong, we eat drunken chicken, but then, of course, how they make the chicken drunk first, it's another matter. LOL.

And the other two are very exciting too. As soon as I dig out my op's from the few hundred moving boxes, I'll get going. Thanks, Lin, for the challenges.

oldrockchick
08-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Cool Sandra I look forward to your work. I think maybe the chicken could be drunk as he does live in a vineyard, maybe it has been tasting the samples :lol:

For those of you who want to try the Rhubarb stinker and do a realistic version without using a green OP, like I'm considering doing, as opposed to a weird coloured version, this may help.

I made some experimental swatches with my student Faber Castell Studios and Neopastels. I don't have suitable yellows and blues to make any with Senns so if anyone would like to try and let us see that would be cool.

These are all different Greens i made. With the FCs only havinga few colours some of them have 3 in the mix. The Neos are purely 2 colours, first with the yellows over blue and second blue over yellow.

The scans may not be totally true but as you can see there are loads of variations.

Colour Swatches TOP: FC Studio BOTTOM: CD Neopastels
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2009/179312-Greens_without_Greens.jpg

Pat Isaac
08-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the green swatches, Lin.

I obviously missed something here, Sandra. You moved too....?
Pat

wildart129
08-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Here is my sketch of the knight and his noble stead. I had an extra 16x20 stretched canvas laying around from my experiments with oil paint. I decided to use it because I didn't want to use my UArt for this painting. I have a bad habit of sketching things out big, so this is going to be a good size painting. This has been the most difficult sketch I have ever done. This is the final sketch which was transferred from the original, I done lots of erasing on the original.

What made it so difficult is 1) itís a human being and 2) the posture of the horse is unusual. The horse is in the process of turning in the picture so its hind quarters are facing a different direction then the forequarters. So that coupled with the rider and the drapery made this a complicated sketch. Not to mention I done it from a print out that was only 5x7. I guess it's a good thing I know horse anatomy well.

I want the focus to be on this figure. The bg is going to be pageantry and colorful flags and maybe even a castle. Not sure on that yet. Hope to get color on this as soon as I decide on the bg. Any c&c is more than welcome.:thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2009/101334-IMG_0001.JPG

oldrockchick
08-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Oh wow Elizabeth this is going to be a GREAT piece, I can't wait to see how it pans out.

Scarefishcrow
08-01-2009, 10:58 PM
argh - I might have expected some fouwl :wink2::lol: chicken jokes :rolleyes:

Well, Lin, with this bunch's corny chicken joke there must be a full moon out on this "knight"! :rolleyes:

Oh dear, I shouldn't have done that! I can already see Lin turning "green", although by mixing colors!:angel:

I'll stop be for I start a real "RHUBARB" here. Don't know which one I'll try but I'm sure to "lay an egg" whichever I choose! :evil:

Oh no. That pun demon has "repossed" my keyboa

Scarefishcrow
08-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Great sketch, Elizabeth.

Nice mixing sample, Linn.

I'm turning "Blue plus yellow" with envy!:evil:

Bill

GhettoDaveyHavok
08-01-2009, 11:40 PM
mmmmm BIRDY! :evil:

Wow, in the third photograph, that's a lot of leaves to do. :eek:

Pat Isaac
08-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Great sketch, Elizabeth.

Pat

Spice3514
08-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Lin,
Thanks for the ref photos, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to think about this!
Dont know anything about horse anatomy and anyway Elizabeth's is going to be fabulous,
I can see that the exercise in green would be good for the soul but it might drive me crazy,
Maybe the chicken ...

I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone does with these.

Cheers

halthepainter
08-02-2009, 01:20 PM
OMG, I'm gone for one day and there's two pages of posts on this already.

Elizabeth, great looking sketch.

Lin thank you these look like fun.

Pat, you must take a tighter grip on Bill's leash. :rolleyes:

Scarefishcrow
08-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Lin,
Thanks for the ref photos, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to think about this!
Dont know anything about horse anatomy and anyway Elizabeth's is going to be fabulous,
I can see that the exercise in green would be good for the soul but it might drive me crazy,
Maybe the chicken ...

Cheers

Brenda,
Nice new AVATAR. Didn't recognize you at first!!

Don't be "chicken", do the chicken! :smug:

Have fun!

Bill
:heart: :music: :heart:

Scarefishcrow
08-02-2009, 01:47 PM
OMG, I'm gone for one day and there's two pages of posts on this already.

Gotta' be quick to keep up with this bunch, Hal. There sorta' like having a Big Dog!:lol:

Pat, you must take a tighter grip on Bill's leash. :rolleyes:

Hmmm! This comming from someone "virgin" on becoming obsessive in their quest for the holy grail???:lol: :evil:

Have a great day, Hal! :angel:

Bill
P.S. Remember, Pat's Big Stick is "stuck" somewhere!:angel:

halthepainter
08-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Have a great day, Hal! :angel:

Bill
P.S. Remember, Pat's Big Stick is "stuck" somewhere!:angel:

I was just kidding about the leash Bill. :thumbsup:

I've given up my quest however. it Seems that by the time anyone reaches the "age of consent" they have already consented. :evil:

We're lucky that Lin didn't include a reference photo of that Victorian Corset as one of the August challenges. :wink2:

oldrockchick
08-02-2009, 02:44 PM

I've given up my quest however. it Seems that by the time anyone reaches the "age of consent" they have already consented. :evil:

We're lucky that Lin didn't include a reference photo of that Victorian Corset as one of the August challenges. :wink2:

I haven't made it yet :P Donmt' think I'm going to either lol

Lin,
Maybe the chicken ...

Cheers

Well the whole idea is to stretch yourself and nobody expects a masterpiece. I think you are being hard on yourself, I'm sure you could manage. The hen would be a nice one to do I think.

The green one is very scary indeed, and I'm going to have a go. The thing is it is a challenge that you can make as hard or easy as you like for yourself, that is why I included challenges. You can do the green one excalty as you liek and your own interpretation, it doesn't HAVE to be realistic. In fact you could do something totally abstract, maybe colourfield, a Cezannish rendition, Fauvist or even Picasso. It is open to how you wish to do it. It doesn't have to be a Constable or even a Turner. You are limited only by your imagination. That is why I included that as one of the option challenges. So just have fun expressing yourself with it.

Some of us may enjoy the colour mixing challenge but I certainly do not expect thatmine will come out as a work of art, rather a bad experiment :lol:

If you think about it there is a lot of scope and freedom. With the horse one you dont' have to do it perfect, or exact, again I said extract, add or change. It is about what you feel like doing with it and can be as easy or complicated as you like.

Spice3514
08-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Well the whole idea is to stretch yourself and nobody expects a masterpiece

Spot on Lin, I know you are right. I'm very stuck on doing things realistically, so maybe now is the time to look for my inner Picasso.
We will see.
Cheers

Scarefishcrow
08-02-2009, 03:02 PM

I know! (But my DW would love to find one that worked!) :lol: :lol:
Imagine how much "knee trouble" she must go through with HER BIG DOG!!! :eek: :eek:

=====

Here, Here, Lin. Beautifully done description of the goals of the challenge. It is each individual artist that is challenging themselves, NOT THE HOST that simply supplies the pictures!!

Bravo!
(That Green Thing scares the "corset" out of me, though! :lol: Couldn't you find something with a bit MORE detail in it??? :rolleyes: :cool: You know, something "Boschist"?:evil: )

oldrockchick
08-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Spot on Lin, I know you are right. I'm very stuck on doing things realistically, so maybe now is the time to look for my inner Picasso.
We will see.
Cheers
Oh me too!!! I think mine comes for years in science and engineering when we had to draw everythign totally exact or fail science! Also I have a sort of perfectionist upbringing wher eif I ever drew anythign that wasn't virtually photo realistic my family said it was rubbish. I'm so tryin gto get myself out of this. Over the last year I've started a little as I now see things differently. As Sammy said somewhere about her teacher seeing so many colours in a white wall. I can now do that. Thing is now I've started to put shades of mauve and purple in all my walls and concrete. I guess it is one step in the right direction.

I am going to try all the different ways of doign teh challenge of the rhubarb, I just can't decide which to do first.

Do it realistically WITH greens
The realist without greens
The abstract without greensThis is my dilemma that is stopping me from starting.

Scarefishcrow
08-02-2009, 03:03 PM
maybe now is the time to look for my inner Picasso.

Cheers

So YOU'RE the one who has been hiding him!!!!!!! :wink2:

oldrockchick
08-02-2009, 03:06 PM
So YOU'RE the one who has been hiding him!!!!!!! :wink2:

Well he wasn't very tall i dont think.... so maybe.

Scarefishcrow
08-02-2009, 03:08 PM
I am going to try all the different ways of doign teh challenge of the rhubarb, I just can't decide which to do first.

Do it realistically WITH greens
The realist without greens
The abstract without greensThis is my dilemma that is stopping me from starting.

Oh Lin, that's easy! The Realist WITHOUT GREENS! Realist WITH greens isn't as challenging as realist WITHOUT greens. And abstract without greens is not representational so whatever you do is right if it portrays what you want!

Ergo, the farthest stretch is realist without greens. (Yeah, you think YOU have problems overcomming the "science" thing????? :wink2:)

oldrockchick
08-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Oh Lin, that's easy! The Realist WITHOUT GREENS! Realist WITH greens isn't as challenging as realist WITHOUT greens. And abstract without greens is not representational so whatever you do is right if it portrays what you want!

Ergo, the farthest stretch is realist without greens. (Yeah, you think YOU have problems overcomming the "science" thing????? :wink2:)

So which will you be doing then ? ;)

Scarefishcrow
08-02-2009, 03:14 PM
So which will you be doing then ? ;)

Oh, that's EASY.......,.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

THE CHICKEN!

oldrockchick
08-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Well I've made a start. The intention is to do the pic without using a green as 'real' as I can (this time)

I sketched it roughly on 12" x 9" 190 gsm CP wc paper with coloured pencils (not green)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2009/179312-OP_Rhubarb_real_sketch.jpg

I then made an underpainting with watercolours - again No green. Just yellows blues etc.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2009/179312-OP_Rhubarb_real_watercolour_up.jpg

then .... the fun starts lol!

Scarefishcrow
08-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Great start Lin! You are courageous!

bchlvr
08-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Beautiful start Lin...will be watching for the finish.

halthepainter
08-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Nice start Lin. That one looks like fun. It will be a stretch for me.

Art Pie
08-03-2009, 03:30 AM
Nice beginnings on your pic Lin. I didn't realise that there was a bridge over the river, I thought the river just disappeared into the distance half hidden by the foliage, and I've already started my painting as I saw it. Ah well, I'll have to claim "artistic license" for mine now as I cannot add a bridge :o

Pat Isaac
08-03-2009, 06:16 AM
Just wonderful, Lin. Great challenge too.

Pat

Art Pie
08-03-2009, 07:55 AM
(So I wasn't a chicken after all)

Well I had a fair bit of trouble with this one. Never mind the rhubarb....anyone for cabbages.

Actually I think it looks more like an old green brick wall :eek:

I also had to set a challenge of my own. To do this pic using my non-dominant left hand (I am right handed) due to the fact that I'm having a bad week with my right arm and could not use it today (I'm waiting for surgery to repair my right shoulder) :(

So here is "My Cabbage Patch" :lol: as realistic as I could manage, and using greens, and with artistic license as I did not see the bridge.

C & C invited and welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2009/190879-rhubarb.jpg

oldrockchick
08-03-2009, 08:23 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Well done Cy

You win 2 awards.
1/ For the first completed picture
2/ For bravery in the face of adversity,

There is nothing worse than having to work with painful arms and shoulders.
As for the bridge it is kinda hard to see. I knew it was there becasue I've stood on it and am familiar with the scen so dont' worry for not including it.

They dont' look like cababges at all and nobody would expect every leaf to be done. Sheesh I'm not going to lol.

The trees are especially gorgeous. In fact you have done a really good job on the foliage and got good depth too. It has a lovely atmosphere.

Are you sure you aren't ambidextrous? Well done :thumbsup:

wildart129
08-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the comments on my initial sketch everyone. I've got a castle from the ril that I'm putting in the background and I'm using the flags in the reference as well. I hope its okay to change the bg of the reference this much; I just really liked the presence of this knight and horse. Hope to get the completed sketch done today, then putting some op on it tomorrow.:)

Really nice start Lin, it already has a good sense of depth and color.:thumbsup:

Cy nicely done, I like the different shades of green you used, and how the shades of grey break them up.:thumbsup:

Scarefishcrow
08-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Cy, I'm not sure Lin's "Bravery in the face of adversity" is for trying that one at all or for trying it your good arm awaiting repair.

Certainly hope you have a successful outcome with your surgery. I understand thos pesky shoulder problems!

Cabbage or Kings, you did a great rendition in record time with a wounded wing!

I think that deserves a PURPLE HEART!

Pat Isaac
08-03-2009, 03:17 PM
I agree and it is nicely done, Cy. Good luck with your shoulder surgery, no fun.

Pat

bchlvr
08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Great job Cy! Especially with your left hand! Good luck with your surgery.

Art Pie
08-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Thank you all for your comments.

Lin, Thank you for the awards :angel: and, no, I am definitely not ambidextrous, :p it took a whole day and a half to do what I could usually do in half a day. So on that theory I had better make a start on preparing tomorrow nights dinner :D Thank you for pushing me with this ref. Well worth the effort of trying.

Wildart, I love your horse and jouster sketch, :thumbsup: and I'm looking forward to following your progress on it. I couldn't get a horse to look that good even if I was sat on one (I may have to try abstract on that ref) :D

Bill, thank you for the purple heart and for your warm words. I don't give up easily. Percy is my best friend (Percy = perseverance). Definitely the biggest difficulty for me was the subject matter :p

Pat, thank you. I had the same surgery a year ago on my left shoulder, so I know what heartache lies ahead. That shoulder is now as good as it's ever going to get, which is about 65% of normal. (I always knew I wasn't normal :lol: and now I have proof)

Linn, thank you too. I'm on the waiting list, but I can't see the front of the queue yet :(

paul444
08-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Great photo's Lin,
This is my first piece for a few weeks now, could not resist it.
Quite quick for me, about 3 hours. 9 X 6 using Senns.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2009/82968-2009_0803photosnew0002_3.jpg

paul444
08-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Well done Cy, your painting looks great.

Pat Isaac
08-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Wow, this is just great Paul. Love the strong color.

Pat

Art Pie
08-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Hello Paul, :wave:
Your jousting knight is so vibrant. I had to go back to look at the original. I love what you have done with the bg.
Fabulous job on the horse and rider too, you have captured the yellow fabric just right (I want to call it 'horse blanket' because I don't know it's proper name).

Ty for your comment on my pic btw :wink2:

halthepainter
08-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Great job Cy.

Wonderful Paul. There is a real sense of movement in your piece. Nicely done.

bchlvr
08-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Beautifully done Paul! Like the colors!

pumkin54
08-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Great photo's Lin,
This is my first piece for a few weeks now, could not resist it.
Quite quick for me, about 3 hours. 9 X 6 using Senns.

Quoting exactly what I said out loud when I first saw this: "That's really good. Wow. ... Did he change the flags?" (Noting how the flags in the image match the one in your signature. What a coinkydink, huh?)

robertsloan2
08-05-2009, 01:38 AM
Cy, what you did is amazing. It would be amazing even with your dominant hand, but managing it with your left is unbelievably cool. That is awesome! Gorgeous. My hat's off to you. I doubt I could manage that, but now you're tempting me to try on something just so that I don't get terrified of any injury to my right arm.

Paul, your jousting knight is gorgeous. He looks so true and natural, like you were out there doing him from life. The colors are so crisp and the values so spot on, the feel of the scene so perfect. I've been to a lot of medieval events and seen a few equestrian ones -- this has everything, it's legend and it's true to life. Utterly splendid.

Lin, your stinker is wicked. You're tempting me with it though. Of course the twisted side of my writer's brain has just jumbled it to "Do the chicken, make it green, don't use any greens but make it look real and natural and green." Riiight....

I love all three of these, depending on time this month I'll see what I can come up with. Green without green... right...

Art Pie
08-05-2009, 04:14 AM
Cy, what you did is amazing. It would be amazing even with your dominant hand, but managing it with your left is unbelievably cool. That is awesome! Gorgeous. My hat's off to you. I doubt I could manage that, but now you're tempting me to try on something just so that I don't get terrified of any injury to my right arm.
Thank you for your nice comment Robert. The bad days are when my right arm will not work. The good days are when it does :D .

I cant use a brush with my left, and so you can imagine my surprise finding out that I'm reasonably ok with op in my left. The blending is especially easy if I go slow. But mind you, I haven't tried anything with detail yet :eek: so maybe I should try my left on the chicken or that horse, and then see if I'm still smiling :lol:

oldrockchick
08-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Paul, that is really great! The colour eally sums up the pageantry. Of course the challenge on this one is to alter the compostion and leave out or add things and you have done a great job. Lovely composition and overall effect. The most impressive though is the work on the knight's armour. The contouring is brilliant.!

Cy - It's great you can use OPs with your left hand, because at least you can still do art whil eyou wait for your shoulder to heal.

Robert - huh - now trust you to think of Green hens. I bet Eyepaint will do a blue one :lol: We could make a colection of multi-coloured chikens. Still the whole idea of these challenges are to have fun and experiment and stretch. I can't wait to see what you do.

I might get a chance to work on mine again later.

jmcedeno
08-07-2009, 10:11 PM
:wave: Hello all and welcome to my first ever WC hosting event. I hope you won't be disappointed by my choices.

I am posting 3 choices so that there should be something for all abilities with the opportunity to hone different skills. One is about texture, one about shape, form and composition and the other is for colour experimentation and is a real stinker that should stretch us all.

All references taken and provided by myself so are copywrite and restriction free.

Feel free to do one or all of the challenges and post here the finished works or just a WIP so we can see how you are getting along, share your techiniques or even ask for guidance.

Thank you Pat for helping me decide and for your help and advice. Now I look forward to the party.:wave:
/Lin

My first choice is one to practice textures with a simple creature. A study of soft feathers, wood, stones and grass. This hen was amongst a collection wandering around a vineyard in Wales.

Vineyard Hen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2009/179312-OP_REF_Vineyard_Hen.jpg

Next, a trip to Merrie England with a jousting match at Warwick Castle full of colour and pagaentry. This photo has a strange compositon so use your creativity to crop, amend, add or exclude to make your own version.

Jousting at Ye Olde Warwicke Castle
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2009/179312-OP_REF_Jousting.jpg

and finally.... your mission should you choose to take it....

The stinker :evil:

Two challenges come with this (last image only), feel free to choose one, or both if you wish.

Challenge 1 - Do this ref making the greens as natural and realistic as possible.

Challenge 2 - Do this ref either as seen, or however you like but the rule is to use NO green oil pastels at all!!

Please state which challenge you have chosen with your work.

Wild Rhubarb at Arbury Hall Garden
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2009/179312-OP_REf_3_May_09_Wild_Rhubarb.JPG

Hi, Lin.
My question is: Is it permissible to alter the composition ?

halthepainter
08-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi, Lin.

Of course it is. See my following post.

halthepainter
08-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I tried out a sample of Uart paper. Image size 7 by 9 inches. Walnut Hollow oil pencils and Erengi.

I call this "A Giant Leap for Chickenkind."

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2009/140488-lores_Chicken_Kind.JPG

My apologies Lin for the liberties I've taken with your chicken.

Shirl Parker
08-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Cluck, cluck, cluck, Hal

Spice3514
08-08-2009, 04:10 AM
Great Chicken picture, Hal, it really makes me smile. Also love the composition, and the colours.

bchlvr
08-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Hal...love your chicken!

oldrockchick
08-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Hi, Lin.
Sure.
In fact the whole challenge on the jousting one is to do so.

:wave: Welcome to OP. I hope you enjoy the challenge and I can't wait to see your woek.

This is a friendly little family. You can ask us about anything. You might not get the right answer:D :cat:(sometimes there is no right:rolleyes:) but we'll do our best and help where we can. We like a laugh and some fun but we do still take our art seriously. (and our art supplies)

oldrockchick
08-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Hal, #i think it is great!

You have interpreted the action chicken and put your own 'sense of purpose' onto it. It looks like it is trying to work out how to get off the step in the ref doesn't it? I'm thinking of doing it trying to cross the road.....

Depsite the humour, it is a deliciously rendered hen and great textural work on the planet and stars too. I hope you enjoyed doing it as much as we do looking at it.

So all you out there who may have been a little reticent about the refs... yes.. they are a challenge, otherwise we'd never stretch ourselves.... but we can have fun and we learn through experimentation.

Can't wait to see more.

I still am doing mine but I've been so busy the last few days with car nightmeares and stuff,. Plus it has actually been sunny so I've been in the garden with my CPs and playing with my new camera.

Will call back later, off out for a 'walk' now as it is sunny.

halthepainter
08-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Thank you Lin and Linn and Spice Girl Brenda.

Shirl, were those clucks of chastisement?

That was fun, I had a good chuckle over it. :D

When I first saw Lin's photo, that idea popped into my feeble mind, I just wasn't sure I could pull it off. I think it came out pretty well.

Shirl Parker
08-08-2009, 09:46 AM
...Shirl, were those clucks of chastisement?...

No Hal, for the right effect, I probably should have said Cluckle, cluckle, cluckle :lol: :lol: :lol:

halthepainter
08-08-2009, 09:52 AM
No Hal, for the right effect, I probably should have said Cluckle, cluckle, cluckle :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually got a chuckle from your response but though I should check just in case.

Shirl, my first grade teacher used to cluck at me (a lot). :lol: :evil:

gakinme
08-09-2009, 08:38 PM
I haven't picked up oil pastels for almost three months and it's fun to use it again. No need to think about paint. Thank you, Lin, for the fun photos.

65 lb cardstock black, Cray Pas Junior OPs and Gallery OPs

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2009/86669-op_chicken.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2009/86669-op_jousting.jpg

Pat Isaac
08-09-2009, 08:45 PM
What fun Sandra...love your chicken. Looks great on the black paper.

Pat

halthepainter
08-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Beautiful Sandra. The Black ground certainly adds a lot of drama to your paintings.

oldrockchick
08-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Hi Sandra, I'm glad I could tempt you back to OPs again. :evil: :D

I like the chicken on the black background- she looks almost metallic. Nice feathering.

The knight is really good with some well toned musculature on the horse. I like the way you gave it a sense of movement with the swirly white. It's like something from a film montage.

thanks for joining in :):wave:

Pat Isaac
08-10-2009, 08:29 AM
OOPS....missed the knight. Great job. Really like your use of purples and yellows.

Pat

gakinme
08-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Thank, Lin, Pat, Hal, for your comments. It was good to do them.

oldrockchick
08-10-2009, 04:35 PM
I have been trying my own meanie.
I've been experimenting with the greens. Making the greens without green OPs is NOT a problem using my neopastles.
However, trying to make the rhubarb look like rhubarb is NOT so easy lol.That IS a pain in the proverbial donkey.

Just going to post this message for now as I think my internet is down againa s I type this. So I'm going to test by posting this before I try to upload the WIPS....

oldrockchick
08-10-2009, 04:49 PM
OK fingers crossed the internet stays up.......

2 stages....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2009/179312-OP_August_real_no_green_stg1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2009/179312-OP_August_real_green_2_scan.jpg

Art Pie
08-10-2009, 04:51 PM
However, trying to make the rhubarb look like rhubarb is NOT so easy lol.That IS a pain in the proverbial donkey.

:lol: that is why mine look more like cabbages than rhubarb :lol::lol::lol:

oldrockchick
08-10-2009, 04:52 PM
It certainly is fun and very challenging and makes me work hard with the OPs.
I suppose that is a good thing.... yes???

Art Pie
08-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Oh very nice work Lin. Good depth to the trees. Love the bluey undertones on the rhubarb to the right.
Is this done without using green op's?.

oldrockchick
08-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Oh very nice work Lin. Good depth to the trees. Love the bluey undertones on the rhubarb to the right.
Is this done without using green op's?.

No green OPs (or watercolours) were harmed in the production of this piece :D

NO Greens at all.

pumkin54
08-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Hal, your chicken cracks me up! Very creative :D

halthepainter
08-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Hal, your chicken cracks me up! Very creative :D

Thank you Pumpkin.

oldrockchick
08-10-2009, 05:58 PM
OK It's done......

9" x 12" 190 gsm WC NOT paper
Undercoloured with watercoloured pencils
Neopastels
NO GREENS!
rhubarb
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2009/179312-OP_Aug_Rhubarb_NO_Greens_-_finished.jpg

halthepainter
08-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Lin beautifully done. I'm glad to see you changed the composition to move the bridge to the left out of the center of the picture. Sorry you beat me too it.

I'm hung up on the leaves. Mine look like they're made of concrete but I'll keep pluggging away.

gakinme
08-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Wow, that's very nice without using green, Lin.

Pat Isaac
08-10-2009, 06:19 PM
:eek: I keep missing posts...great take on the chicken,Hal...:lol:
Great work, Lin without using green....

Pat

bchlvr
08-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Beautifully done Lin!

Art Pie
08-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Hal, great job on your chicken. Love the humour. Can't wait to see what you create with the jouster :wink2:

gakinme, I love the soft feather quality you have to your chicken. Fabulous on the black bg.
Excellent work on your jouster, he has a very regal look to him. I like the fact that you have not included anything else in the bg scene, so that all the drama remains in the subject.

Lin, excellent job on the rhubarb :thumbsup: and well done on the lack of green op's. It worked out really well. Congrats.

Right then, about to start on my chicken or jouster, not sure which yet.
(My arm is reasonably ok today so I shall be back to right handed painting thank goodness).
:wave:

halthepainter
08-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Hal, great job on your chicken. Love the humour. Can't wait to see what you create with the jouster :wink2:

:wave:

That's not fair Art Pie. I only do one strange piece a month: monks at the ruins two months ago, pixies last month, and astro chicken this month. :evil:

You've raised expectations that I'm unable to meet.:crying: Alas I may not be able to do the knight at all now??:D I had planned on doing it straight.

My lousy job on rubarb leaves so far may eliminate that one also. :(

jmcedeno
08-10-2009, 09:20 PM
I tried out a sample of Uart paper. Image size 7 by 9 inches. Walnut Hollow oil pencils and Erengi.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2009/140488-lores_Chicken_Kind.JPG

Houston, THE CHICKEN HAS LANDED!
I love it!!!!!

halthepainter
08-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Houston, THE CHICKEN HAS LANDED!
I love it!!!!!

Good one JM.

Calling from Tranquility Coop.

Art Pie
08-10-2009, 10:42 PM
That's not fair Art Pie. I only do one strange piece a month: monks at the ruins two months ago, pixies last month, and astro chicken this month. :evil:

You've raised expectations that I'm unable to meet.:crying: Alas I may not be able to do the knight at all now??:D I had planned on doing it straight.

My lousy job on rubarb leaves so far may eliminate that one also. :(
awww Hal, if I can post my cabbage leaves (that also look like a green rock wall), surely you can post your concrete ones :evil:

And as for your "straight Knight" ........... I look forward with anticipation to it :D:smug::D

Someone should tell that chicken not to jump..............she might break an egg.

halthepainter
08-11-2009, 08:27 AM
awww Hal, if I can post my cabbage leaves (that also look like a green rock wall), surely you can post your concrete ones :evil:

And as for your "straight Knight" ........... I look forward with anticipation to it :D:smug::D

Someone should tell that chicken not to jump..............she might break an egg.

Cy, you're just being punny.

The Straight Knight is going to have to await the leafing of the rhubarb.

oldrockchick
08-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Cy, you're just being punny.

The Straight Knight is going to have to await the 'leafing of the rhubarb.'

Thats sounds like the name for some sort of Olde English country dance

like 'Strip the willow'.

halthepainter
08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Thats sounds like the name for some sort of Olde English country dance

like 'Strip the willow'.

Strip the willow??

Does that involve a lady gyratting seductively around a vertical pole?

I think we have something similar over here. It's called pole dancing.

Art Pie
08-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Well here is my quickie chickie. Not over pleased with how it turned out but at least I can say I tried.

C&C welcomed. I need to improve my techniques.
I've discovered that I can't do feather, stone, wood, gravel, or grass :lol:

Quickie Chickie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2009/190879-chicken.jpg

Pat Isaac
08-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Well, I think you have a good start on this, Cy. The colors are quite nice. I think you just need to give it more values as right now it seems to be all the same value.

Pat

oldrockchick
08-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Strip the willow??

Does that involve a lady gyratting seductively around a vertical pole?

I think we have something similar over here. It's called pole dancing.

Trust you to think of that!
Over here we have folk dancing like your barn dancing I guess with a 'caller' and people in pairs do dances to the callers instructions. 'Strip the willow' is like when they line up in 2 columns and th male from one column and his opposite female dance round solo and back up the middle of the column... I think, if my memory serves me well lol. It's based on some rural folk dancing.
No poles involved! :lol:

Here are the instructions - if you feel like having a go next time you have friends around

http://www.scottishdance.net/ceilidh/dances.html#StripTheWillow

oldrockchick
08-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Cy - Nice start to 'chuckles'. I agree with Pat. The composition lookds good and chuckles is looking plump and lively.

gakinme
08-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Looks like the chicken is ready to take the giant step. I like the colors already, CY.

Btw, I forgot to answer you, Pat. Yes, I've moved too from Washington to California. It took me two truck loads within 2 weeks and driving non-stop 12 hours each time. It was very laborious and I'm glad we are sort of settled. We have one more truckload eventually but that could wait till next summer.

halthepainter
08-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Well done Cy. Your chicken looks quite good.

bchlvr
08-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Your chicken looks great Cy!

oldrockchick
08-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Looks like the chicken is ready to take the giant step. I like the colors already, CY.

Btw, I forgot to answer you, Pat. Yes, I've moved too from Washington to California. It took me two truck loads within 2 weeks and driving non-stop 12 hours each time. It was very laborious and I'm glad we are sort of settled. We have one more truckload eventually but that could wait till next summer.

wow! that is some move!

:confused:

It has gone very quiet here.... where is everybody. All the usual suspects seemed to have gone to ground.

(or were my refs/challenges too tough?)

Don't forget that you dont' HAVE to do the challenges. I wanted to aim at all abilities which is why I added the challenges for the 'experts' who felt they needed pushing a little further. The compositional one was so that people could simplify or improvise to suit their level or creative and technical abilities.

I am meaning to do another but I'm struggling with the right supports atm. I need to get some more papers etc but want to try out the smaples first. I might just do something on an oil canvas sheet for now.

halthepainter
08-16-2009, 10:50 AM
wow!

It has gone very quiet here.... where is everybody. All the usual suspects seemed to have gone to ground.

(or were my refs/challenges too tough?)

Hi Linn:
I'll probably post my second challenge today. I'm not happy with my results but I will post it anyway as a learning experience.

I will never again in this life, nor in my next 536 reincarnations, attempt to paint a rhubarb patch. Linn, I love your treatment of the subject but mine was a disaster.:(

Pat Isaac
08-16-2009, 11:16 AM
That sure was a long arduous move...glad you are mostly settled now, Sandra.

It is quiet, mid summer heat, I guess and at least in the northeast it finally is summer!

Pat

oldrockchick
08-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Well, Hal, I'm wondering if any artists in history have EVER beeninspired by a rhubarb patch before.

I have to admit I'm not entirely happy with mine. My leaves just look like a blur.
It was a great fun thin to do though. The point was I LEARNT, absolutely LOADS about colour mixing with OPs. It was worth doing for that. I plan to have a go at the Joust one too but I can't make my mind up on the composition. I've been cropping and playing on the PC to get an idea, but can't make up my mind. lol.

I'm sure it wasn't a huge disaster.

I'll be gentle next time (if they let me do it again after this :lol: )

oldrockchick
08-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Well, Hal, I'm wondering if any artists in history have EVER beeninspired by a rhubarb patch before.

ROFL

I googled rhubarb and art and got this link.....

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-uses.html

12.4.1 - Paintings

James Grainger, is a British artist who specializes in oil paintings of Vicars and Morris Dancers in curious and surreal situations. Many of his paintings include rhubarb, as can be seen in the sample to the right. Be sure to visit his web page: James Grainger's Gallery (http://www.regneag.demon.co.uk/)
http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/images/R600.jpg

and this one

http://www.stewartgalleries.com/JamesGrainger524.htm

" Contemporary artist James Grainger is most noted for his "Paintings of an essentially British and slightly eccentric nature".
Many of his unique paintings have vicars and Morris Dancers in surreal and curious situations, some of them with rhubarb.
This painting s from the Paul Winfield estate."

halthepainter
08-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Ok Linn here it is. I decided to do you one better and have no greens at all. I used to have a mentor who always was after me to not use any greens, mixed or otherwise, in my landscape paintings but to use other colors and make them read green. This is also for Cy. I wanted something to lead the eye into the painting so I opened the river to the bottom of the painting. I tried three or four times to try to make the rhubarb look like rhubard but without resorting to oil pencils, I couldn't do that. I already had too much wax built up to use the oil pastels. So I decided to abstract the vegitation.

The photo washed out the sky which is a very pale pink, darkening toward the top of the painting. The photo also lost some of the intensity of the color in the tree trunks.

It was a fun even if frustrating challenge.

I'll give the knight a try but I'll do him straight.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2009/140488-;lores_rhubarb.jpg

oldrockchick
08-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Oh Hal - you didn't do yourself justice and you have bravely fulfilled one of the other aspects of the challenge... which was to do an abstract piece with an expressive piece without greens. so well done .. you have passed the challenge :thumbsup:

Now it is a shame that the scan doesn't show up the sky as i think that would look awesome.

I couldnt' make the rhubarb look like rhubarb either, but I do like what you have done with the 'river'.

Actually it is a 'private canal'. The Viscount about 100 years ago liked canals so much he had a network of them built all around his estate. Many have no eutrophicated and are a bit green and smelly. however, the ones round the gardens are lovely and clear and are well cared for.

Now... I can't wait for your knight! :)

gakinme
08-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Wow, Hal, that is one beautiful piece. Absolutely love the colors!!! Now I'm tempted to do the rhubards too!

halthepainter
08-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Sandra, Than you. Please give them a try, I would like to see how others treat the challenge.

Lin thank you. I really enjoy these little tib bits of British lore you dole out now and then.

Art Pie
08-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Hal, that is absolutely gorgeous. Love what you did with the river, and your reflections are spot on.

Your abstract "greenery" (of should I say "purplery") works really well, and overall a very pleasing piece.

I can see I'm going to have to lighten up in my artwork. I take things too seriously, and you have just shown me to look at things in a different light. I shall be using more artistic license in my pieces from now on I hope.

I'm hoping to start my knight soon, but I just bought my dh home from hospital today and being a nursemaid interferes with my art :( but I really want a go with the knight as it's a great ref photo.

halthepainter
08-17-2009, 09:34 AM
[quote=Art Pie
I'm hoping to start my knight soon, but I just bought my dh home from hospital today and being a nursemaid interferes with my art :( but I really want a go with the knight as it's a great ref photo.[/quote]

Cy thank you for your kind comments. I pray for your DH's speedy recovery.

robertsloan2
08-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Hal, that is gorgeous. So striking in purple. It's a wonderful color scheme, not exactly monochrome but fascinating to see, especially with all the values that true. Great painting!

halthepainter
08-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Thank you Robert. Glad you're getting back into the swing of things here again.

robertsloan2
08-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Hal, thanks! My access has been so wobbly lately and I've been doing other mediums, so sometimes even when I'm participating elsewhere on WC by the time I get to doing the OP forums I'm down or too tired. I sometimes spent two or three hours doing one post because of the access thing. Very frustrating.

Lin, I just went through the rest of the thread -- your No Greens rhubarb is fantastic. I love it. So much rich detail and such beautiful natural greens. You did both challenges at once!

Jose, I love "The Chicken Has Landed, Houston!" That is fantastic. Great chicken, great concept, beautifully painted. That rocks.

I might try one of these today to test my PastelMat with OP, if not today then soon.

halthepainter
08-17-2009, 03:42 PM
[quote=robertsloan2]
Jose, I love "The Chicken Has Landed, Houston!" That is fantastic. Great chicken, great concept, beautifully painted. That rocks. :eek:

quote]

Originally Posted by halthepainter

Robert it's my painting, Jose just renamed it. :rolleyes:

Pat Isaac
08-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Hal what great paintings you did!!! That purple landscape is gorgeous...and I love the chicken and the title..:lol:
Great job everyone.

Pat

Weezy
08-17-2009, 06:23 PM
I love this thread! I am here checking out what to expect when I post next month's challenge.......get the greens out of your system now.....we are going to the SouthWest next month. :D
Houston we have a clucker! Too darned funny by far.:eek:

halthepainter
08-17-2009, 06:38 PM
I love this thread! I am here checking out what to expect when I post next month's challenge.......get the greens out of your system now.....we are going to the SouthWest next month. :D
Houston we have a clucker! Too darned funny by far.:eek:

Weezy, you can't do that. We always do blues and greens, I've thrown away all reds and oranges except for what I used up in my purple landscape.:lol:

bchlvr
08-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Hal...like that purple forest with no greens...turned out beautiful!

halthepainter
08-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Pat, Linn thank you both. I was a little worried about how those two paintings would be received.

Weezy
08-17-2009, 11:27 PM
You've just got to develop an attitude that the person who needs pleasing is..................................YOU!:thumbsup:

Art Pie
08-18-2009, 02:15 AM
You've just got to develop an attitude that the person who needs pleasing is..................................YOU!:thumbsup:

I like that statement :clap::clap::clap:

halthepainter
08-18-2009, 08:00 AM

Hi Weezy: obviously I do paint what pleases me or else you wouldn't have seen "Astro Chicken" and my lavender world this month, but I also hope my paintings please others. After all, I do hope to sell some of this stuff before an avalanche of old paintings shoves me out of my home. :lol: :lol:

oldrockchick
08-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Weezy, you can't do that. We always do blues and greens, I've thrown away all reds and oranges except for what I used up in my purple landscape.:lol:

But the idea was to NOT use greens :D - so I used up all my blues instead.

lol

We used up all our yellows when RG/GOSH hosted :lol:

Weezy
08-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Who said you had to use blues and greens? Are there not OTHER colors in your palette that you always skip over? This is a chance to do a fauve piece, much like the wonderful lavender piece that Halthepainter did this month.
Wait and see, you may not like the shots at all.
And that won't be the only challenge.......MUHAHAHAHA:evil:

oldrockchick
08-18-2009, 05:12 PM
I finally made a start on the joust.

The thing is I'm getting desperate for the right sort of support and I felt this one should be done on bigger paper. So I found an offcut of Farbiano HP wc paper and applied 2 coates of Gesso with a roller. It is a very peculier size so no idea how I will go about getting any form of frame for it :eek:

15" x 13"

Now the challenge was to change the composition or add and subtract things. I decided to mix in a couple of other refs I had including part of the Bishop's Palace at St Davids. I have just drawn it out and started to add some shadows.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2009/179312-1000px_The_Joust__Aug_09_WIP1001.JPG

Pat Isaac
08-18-2009, 05:21 PM
What a great start, Lin. Looking forward to its progress.

Pat

halthepainter
08-18-2009, 05:21 PM
That's looking great Lin.

I've been looking through morgue files for Castles myself.

bchlvr
08-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Nice start Lin!

Art Pie
08-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Very nice Lin, I do like your composition. The castle walls in the background really adds to the excitement of the jousting.

jmcedeno
08-18-2009, 08:26 PM

Welcome to CA you'll love our weather especially Southern CA, great sunny days to paint on Plein Air, it takes a little time to get used to it but once you taste it you'll never return:clap: , you'll see!

Art Pie
08-19-2009, 01:12 AM
Wahooooo!!! I'm drawing the knight. Pleased with it so far :smug: Hope it all goes this good once I start with the op's.
I'll upload my WIP when I've finished the drawing stage, but right now I have to go cook dinner.
Back later I hope, if I get time.
:D

Pat Isaac
08-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Looking forward to your knight, Cy. there have been some great takes on him so far.

Pat

oldrockchick
08-19-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing your knights Cy and Hal. .. and of course any of the rest of you having a go at this month's challenge.

I hope you are all enjoying it and finding a level that suits you.

I like to scan/photo my works as I go as when I see them on the monitor I often see somethign awry that I can fix.

Here is the stage I am at with the knight now. I'm letting it 'rest up as it is 3pm and quite warm here today and it's getting a bit squidgy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2009/179312-1000px_The_Joust_Aug_09_WIP2003.JPG

I took it outside and photographed it with my new camera,.

Pat Isaac
08-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Looking good, Lin. I really like the color of the castle.

Pat

oldrockchick
08-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Pat - I thought you were relaxing by the pool ?

Thank you. I saw it better after I posted it and quite like it more than I did when I was laying it down.

halthepainter
08-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Lin your WIP looks fantastic.

Weezy
08-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Lin, I love your castle, and your composition is strong. Keep going.

robertsloan2
08-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Lin, your castle and knights are wonderful. Great combination of photos, that really works.

jmcedeno
08-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Hi everyone, finally I have something to show you. I worked on three different compositions, two with the rhubarb but couldn't make it work for me, so with all due respect to the rhubarb, I decided to do a Fall Scene without green and rhubarb (the green you see is blue over yellow) it is a WIP but very near to completion. What do you think? I welcome all your C&C. This piece is 11x14 OP on watercolor 140 lb paper. I started with a watercolor underpainting (raw umber) then drew the composition with charcoal pencil, then cover it with one coat of clear gesso, and after a 24 hr drying period I began the OP marks. The trees on the right middleground remained as shown in the Re. the trees on the left are alsohttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2009/159973-IMG_0822-1.jpg close to the Re., added montain range in the far distance background, and made the waterway the center of interest.

Thanks,
Jose

robertsloan2
08-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Jose, that is beautiful! I love what you did changing the reference. The waterway is gorgeous and the autumn trees wonderful. Great solution to the rhubarb, just leave it out!

Sorry I got you confused with Hal about One Small Step for Chicken-Kind, Hal painted it but you came up with a good alternate title. Sorry, Hal. I was having a fibro fog day. My memory is like a steel trap, it mangles anything that gets into it.

halthepainter
08-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Wonderful job on the river scene Jose. It's a masterful job with the OPs.

Art Pie
08-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Gorgeous autumnal scene Jose, love the colours. You certainly lifted the grey sky of the original ref. pic to a glorious day. Makes me want to sing that song "Messing About On The River" as I imagine myself in that peaceful scene and stop for a picnic on the riverbank.

Art Pie
08-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Finally managed to get back here to post my WIP Knight.

White Neocolor on black Canson Mi-Tientes - 32cm x 25cm

A bit of a change with a pennant instead of a lance, and I lifted the horse front near leg a bit too as I wanted a bit more movement to assist with the flowing cape (blanket? cover? I don't know what it's called). Hope I get time to put some colour on it tomorrow.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2009/190879-knight1a.jpg

I know I need to add the horse's tail yet, and I have no idea what is going to happen with the background. I wanted the Knight to be as large as I could draw him and take up almost all of the paper as I think he deserves to get all the attention.

If anyone can suggest what I should do for the background please tell me your ideas. I always struggle with backgrounds.

Cheers.

oldrockchick
08-20-2009, 06:23 AM
Some great activity here!!

Jose - well done on the 'no greens' it has come of beautifully. You have doen the challenge for the rhubabrb and the joust all in one, ie the 'no green' and the altered composition challenge I set for the joust. It is a lovely piece and the colours work well. If you saw this place, the gardens of a statley home about 2 miles from where I lived, you might well not have thought of mountians. It is pretty much flat round here :P I've only seen these gardens in Spring and Summer as the hall only opens a few times a year. The nearest to autumn will be the bank holiday at the end of the month, but we are sill all in summer foliage. I think the Viscount would like you version well. He is a big fam of art and creativity, and I think would also enjoy looking out to a mountain range. I bet his gardener would be glad to be free of the rhubarb too. :lol:

So next time poeple on here moan about how hard it is to do trees, I shall have to remind them of the perils of rhubabrb!

Cy - I look forward to seeing your 'black' Knight (:music: cue song by Deep Purple:music: )

I'll see if I can get a bit more done on mine but I have a radio show tonight and I want to 'play' with the samples Tim Fisher sent, so I might not do more until tomorrow unless I have energy before bed.

Keep up all the good work.

oldrockchick
08-20-2009, 06:23 AM
If anyone can suggest what I should do for the background please tell me your ideas. I always struggle with backgrounds.

Cheers.

You could always try a wall of rhubarb :D:lol::lol::evil:

Art Pie
08-20-2009, 06:48 AM
You could always try a wall of rhubarb :D:lol::lol::evil:

Thanks.......but no thanks :p I've had my fill of rhubarb.

Pat Isaac
08-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Just gorgeous, Jose. Reminds me of our landscapes around here in the fall.
Nice start Cy. I like the movement already...a wall of rhubarb...:lol: :lol:

Pat

oldrockchick
08-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Jose - I meant to mention this before but when I looked again I want to remark how impressed I am with the trees on the right of your picture. They really stand out. Beautiful.

gakinme
08-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Wow, Lin, your piece has a lot of details in it. Impressive already. Looking forward to see it soon.

Jose, the colors are absolutely beautiful in your piece. As soon as I get and extender, I'll work on my rhubards.

halthepainter
08-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Cheers.

Cy you might abstract the background with complementary hues but leave a shadow under the knight to ground him.

oldrockchick
08-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks you for comments :)

I have to stop now for today for a number of reasons, one I have some bits to do before I go out ot 'work' and need the table cleared for dinner :P:
Also it has started to get a bit squidgy with the heat and needs to rest up before I can add any more to the top coats.

Still got a long way to go.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2009/179312-The_Joust_Aug_09_WIP_3.jpg

Just to add, I took a photo of this with no flash on 'museum' setting. The result is fairly representative adn even but it is somewhat darker than it actually is.

halthepainter
08-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Wonderful Lin (Mr Purple). It's looking very professional.

jmcedeno
08-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Thank you, ALL very...very much for your nice and encouraging words, I cannot thank you enough (WC) for getting me back to painting after several years in hibernation, all I can think now is what I'm going to paint next?. So, I'm looking forward to Sept.'s challenge.

Art Pie
08-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Knight - WIP

I've fallen in love with Senneliers. I've never used them before this, and so far I've only used the white and a little bit of No.15. I'm on cloud nine :smug:

This is my lot for today. Got errands to run now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2009/190879-knight2a.jpg

halthepainter
08-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Beautiful Cy.

bchlvr
08-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Love to see your WIP on the knight Lin...coming along wonderfully!

Cy...great start!

oldrockchick
08-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks for your comments all - I'll see how much more we can get in the rest of today.

Cy - I like Sennelier too, but I tend to only use them for top coats because they are hard to add layers with anything else. Unfortunatley I only have a limited colour range, I have a portrait set and an irridescent set and a couple of neutrals. Right now I was wishing I had a couple of nice yellows to glaze over my horse drapery with, but I don't :crying:

Jose - Haha we have you hooked in now. :evil: We are glad to have motivated you to resume art and I hope you continue now you have re-started. You should never be short of encouragement and inspiration on here. If you don't want to wait for the next month we always have the WDEs.

Art Pie
08-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Lin, you wouldn't believe just how much I am enjoying working on the knight. I think it is probably one of the best paintings I have done. I suppose I can thank these Senneliers for their part in it. I only have a boxed set of 15 basic colours.
Can't take a wip photo of it at present as I've left my camera in the car and I'm not going outside as it is way past midnight :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Art Pie
08-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Cy you might abstract the background with complementary hues but leave a shadow under the knight to ground him.

Thank you for that Hal, yes I think that would be good. Another learning curve for me :)

Can you, or anyone, point me in the direction of some examples of these abstract backgrounds please.

halthepainter
08-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Thank you for that Hal, yes I think that would be good. Another learning curve for me :)

Can you, or anyone, point me in the direction of some examples of these abstract backgrounds please.

this is a photo with a blurred back ground but it's the idea: detail under hoof but blurred distance background. Main color on knight is bright yellow how about a background of purplish pastel hues of texture.

http://syakirroslan98.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/cheetah.jpg

Right off the top of my head I couldn't think of an art piece to link to but the above link is the idea I'm trying to convey.

This would be a real chance to loosely splash color around and have fun.

Art Pie
08-21-2009, 07:33 PM
this is a photo with a blurred back ground but it's the idea: detail under hoof but blurred distance background. Main color on knight is bright yellow how about a background of purplish pastel hues of texture.

http://syakirroslan98.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/cheetah.jpg

Right off the top of my head I couldn't think of an art piece to link to but the above link is the idea I'm trying to convey.

This would be a real chance to loosely splash color around and have fun.

Okay, I get the idea now. Thank you again Hal for coming to my rescue :thumbsup:
Dare I mention that you must be my 'Knight in Shining Armour' :wink2:

halthepainter
08-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Okay, I get the idea now. Thank you again Hal for coming to my rescue :thumbsup:
Dare I mention that you must be my 'Knight in Shining Armour' :wink2:

Thank goodness you can't see me right now Cy. I'm blushing beet red.

SammyH
08-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Cy,

There is a good example of a muted background in a thread posted by Wildart titled Under the Acacia. You'll find it halfway down page 2 of our threads.

Good luck. Can't wait to see your knight completed.

halthepainter
08-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Cy here is the link Sammy is refering to.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8034094

robertsloan2
08-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Cy, your knight is looking good! I like the idea of the blurred background, that'll work well for him.

Lin, wow. I love your castle. That is so magnificent, especially the interesting reflected warm hues on the distant tower that must come from the crowd. It reads so true and real, so colorful and rich that it draws me back in time. This rocks! Keep going! Thanks for sharing the WIP.

Scarefishcrow
08-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Trying to catch up after a few days a way and haven't had a chance to check all the paintings, but all look great so far! Try to get through more tomorrow.

:eek: :eek: :o :o :eek: :eek:

Bill

gakinme
08-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Here are some rhubards. I got the Van Gogh blender and now I understand that it makes blending easier after you brush it on and then use your finger to rub it.

Pentalic 130 lbs nature sketchbook smooth side
Pentel Oil Pastel
Lowell black watercolor

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2009/86669-op_rhubard.jpg

Art Pie
08-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Finished my Red Knight.

Yes I changed the colours of the knight and his horse :evil:

I think the blurred background with the grass underhoof was a great idea...... thankyou Hal and Sammy for your input on this matter.

I really learnt a lot from this piece. Thank you Lin for the ref pic, a great choice. Made me push myself out of my comfort zone. I may go on to create a series of knights now :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2009/190879-redknight.jpg

It is clearer in real life, I just had trouble holding the camera still.

One of the things I would change if I could, would be not to crop the horses feet off.

I must use bigger paper next time so that I can get all of the subject on the page :rolleyes:

........... C & C's welcome please.

halthepainter
08-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Cy. love your red knight. You did a magnificient job on him. Your foreground and background treatment are right on.

bchlvr
08-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Cy...your knight is fantastic...like the red.

gakinme
08-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Cy, beautiful knight and the background is very good, very fitting for him!

oldrockchick
08-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Cy - he red definatley stands out better with the green background, as does the white horse. You rose to the challenge of changing the composition on this one and did it really well! I also like the idea of addign the flag to the pole.

If youd do want to do more knights I put a couple on the Travel thread you can play with. (If you like)

Sandra - well that certainly meets the abstract part of the challenge with the rhubarb. That is a very interesting interpretation. I'm not sure what a VanGogh blender is? Did you use any resist as there are some very interestign features in your work?

Art Pie
08-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Cy - he red definatley stands out better with the green background, as does the white horse. You rose to the challenge of changing the composition on this one and did it really well! I also like the idea of addign the flag to the pole.

Thanks Lin, yes, this was definitely a challenge :o. Evidently, my hubby tells me that the pennant flag should have an insignia on it, and not just a plain colour. So I shall add that to it when I think of one.
I have seen the new jousting pics in the other thread. Wonderful, ty again.

Thank you Hal, it's not very often I get the background right, so I am very pleased with the way this one turned out, and I shall practice with more blurred effects for my future works.

Hi Linn, Thank you. I like the red too, especially with a white horse.

Thank you Sandra. This was a great challenge and fun to do.

Pat Isaac
08-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Great job with the night, Cy.

Pat

SammyH
08-24-2009, 07:39 AM
It's not my habit to post anything on this thread because I don't participate in the challanges. I remembered that after suggesting that Cy look at Elizabeth's tiger.

There is some wonderful work this month. Cy, your red knight is very nice and you did a good job with the background. Lin your knight is lovely. There were so many really good paintings such as space chicken and purple rhubarb. It's a pleasure to see what you folks do with the challanges.

halthepainter
08-24-2009, 09:27 AM
It's not my habit to post anything on this thread because I don't participate in the challanges. I remembered that after suggesting that Cy look at Elizabeth's tiger.

There is some wonderful work this month. Cy, your red knight is very nice and you did a good job with the background. Lin your knight is lovely. There were so many really good paintings such as space chicken and purple rhubarb. It's a pleasure to see what you folks do with the challanges.

Sammy your remarks are welcome. :thumbsup:

My Knight is a WIP and it's a bloody disaster. I've changed my mind numerous times on the composition and finally jumped into it and I made a bad decision but I will try to tough it out. If I'm too ashamed of it I may not post it even if it might be an object lesson on what not to do.

Paul's, Lin's and Cy's Knights were just wonderful.

SammyH
08-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Paul's knight was early in the thread and this old brain forgot it. Sorry, Paul, that is a good job. Jose, your rhubarb-less landscape is terrific. Didn't use any greens. Loved your chicken and knight, Sandra, and yours, Cy. Maybe one of these days I'll tackle a challenge. It seems, there just isn't enough hours in the week.

halthepainter
08-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Paul's knight was early in the thread and this old brain forgot it. Sorry, Paul, that is a good job. Jose, your rhubarb-less landscape is terrific. Didn't use any greens. Loved your chicken and knight, Sandra, and yours, Cy. Maybe one of these days I'll tackle a challenge. It seems, there just isn't enough hours in the week.

Sammy sorry to be annal about this but the space chicken was mine. Jose merely reprinted and renamed it. Because he reprinted my image into his post, several people have attributed it to him. That hurts. :(

oldrockchick
08-24-2009, 01:23 PM
I have still work to do on my knight but I have been art-lazy this weekend so I will take it with me to work on at the art society tomorrow night. I don't have anything else prepared anyway, especially asI'm running out of appropriate supports and round her eI can't just pop into a shop for a few sheets of Colorfix or anything. They probably wont' even have heard of it. Sheesh they'd never even heard of Stonehenge paper!

SammyH
08-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Hal,

I knew and still know that the space chick is yours. If it has to do with flying and if it has wings, it's got to be yours. It was a neat idea and so was Jose's "Houston, the Chicken has Landed." Both of you are so clever.

Did I tell you that anytime I do a landscape, my dh points out where I should paint in an airplane? You two would get along well.

halthepainter
08-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Hal,

Did I tell you that anytime I do a landscape, my dh points out where I should paint in an airplane? You two would get along well.

They say aviation art is merely a landscape painting with an airplane in it. Perhaps you should make your DH happy and put a plane in one of your landscapes.

Scarefishcrow
08-24-2009, 09:53 PM
They say aviation art is merely a landscape painting with an airplane in it. Perhaps you should make your DH happy and put a plane in one of your landscapes.

Could become your trademark. At an art show in Door Co. this weekend we were looking at various landscapes in a booth. After looking at one with a prominent Cardinal in brilliant red, we began to notice everyone of the artist's painting had a cardinal discreetly placed somewhere in the painting!

Bill

halthepainter
08-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Good idea Bill. I should probably have put one in this painting, it wouldn't hurt it any.

This painting has been a total muddle and I've changed my mind as to what I wanted to do with it at least a half dozen times. There are a number of things I might do to try to make it better but I don't think the concept warrants that much extra work. I'll put it away and perhaps someday I'll look at it again and might be motivated to to try to salvage something out of it.

The painting is on homemade, pumice board (museum board, gesso, black acrylic topcoat with pumice), walnut hollow oil pencils, and Erengi Ops.

The image is 11 by 14 inches.

So with head hung low, here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2009/140488-lo_res_aug_Challenge_Knight.JPG

The actual painting is lighter and warmer than the photograph.

Art Pie
08-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Hal, you are waaaay too hard on yourself. This is actually really good.
I love the composition because it tells a story. You have built atmosphere into the scene.
The cloud formation is very dramatic, and the winding pathway leads the viewers eye into the picture and holds it there while contemplating the weary trudge of the knights on their way home from battle to their castle fortress in the distance.

So hold your head up high there Hal :thumbsup: and it definitely does not need an aircraft of any kind.

bchlvr
08-25-2009, 05:52 AM
Beautiful Hal! You are way too hard on yourself...and I love your imagination!

SammyH
08-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Hal,

Ditto the previous two comments. Dramatic is the exact word to describe the sky plus colorful. Sure glad there aren't any airplanes in it. The foliage is very nice as is the black showing through especially on the road. Your figures do look like they are headed home after battle. Love all the wonderful colors on them.

There was an oil painting artist named Jerry Yarnell on PBS for many years. He used to tell his viewers that they must tell themselves something good about their work. You can find lots of good things to tell yourself about this piece.

SammyH
08-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Could become your trademark. At an art show in Door Co. this weekend we were looking at various landscapes in a booth. After looking at one with a prominent Cardinal in brilliant red, we began to notice everyone of the artist's painting had a cardinal discreetly placed somewhere in the painting!

Bill

We have a local artist who puts a dragonfly in all her work. It keeps people looking at her work, trying to find that dragonfly. Sometimes it takes some searching. Good idea.

halthepainter
08-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Thank you Linn, Cy, and Sammy H. You're much too kind.

I had planned on kind of a Maxfield Parrish treatment of the subject, hence the bright sky, but I couldn't pull it off. I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted fields or forest leading to the castle on the hill. I feel I didn't back off the forest enough. It reads much too close. My poor lead horse is much too stiff legged, So I feel that the sky is not appropriate for the way I handled the rest of the painting.

I'm going have to learn how to do delicate detail with my normal pastels because I don't seem to be able to get smooth coverage with the oil pastel pencils; they're just too hard. With the dusties, I just break a pastel to get a sharp edge for the detail work but I don't think it will work as well with the oilies. With the oillies, I just wind up with a waxy blob. Anyway I'm still in a learning mode.

halthepainter
08-25-2009, 09:24 AM
We have a local artist who puts a dragonfly in all her work. It keeps people looking at her work, trying to find that dragonfly. Sometimes it takes some searching. Good idea.

Where's Waldo??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

gakinme
08-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Wow, Hal, you have a very creative and beautiful piece there. Love the clouds and the foliage. For a moment, I thought you had rhubard fields there in the middle ground abstracted from the other photo reference but it's very good. Good knights. The flowing capes and pose are very natural!

Lin, oil pastel forms a natural resist to watercolor and water medium and I left some white space here and there to get that resist effect when I painted watercolor on it.

Shirl Parker
08-25-2009, 11:35 AM
...There was an oil painting artist named Jerry Yarnell on PBS for many years. He used to...

He still is, and he still does !

oldrockchick
08-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Hal - This is like one of the old allegorical pieces by the old artists. The clouds are excellent, the aerial perspective really works. It tells a story. It does just what the challenge was intended to do, that being to use your own creativity to interpret the reference. You have certainly achieved that. This is a really good piece of work so I have no idea why you are being so self-critical.

Pat Isaac
08-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Great interpretation of the knight scene, Hal. That is a beautiful sky. Looking forward to the finish.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
08-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Where's Waldo??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Hal!!!!!!!
When I made that post I was trying to remember that very fad and couldn't. My memory was short circuited because years ago someone gave me a "Where's Dan Quayle" takeoff on the Waldo books and I couldn't get that out of my mind!!!! :lol: :lol:

Guess I'm getting to Geezerhood as well as others!!!:eek:

Your painting in great, Hal, and you should take Ian Robert's advice that all he needs is to feel that at least 10% of what he did was good to make him feel it was a success. He says there are no failed paintings, only failing to paint.

You really have to cut back on your self criticism and try a little "what is there that I feel good about in this painting" evern if the overall work is not what you envisioned.

Remember, like dogs and cats being the real Masters not us, the painting takes you where it wants to go and you generally must follow along. I'm not sure many artist's have every completed a painting that was EXACTLY what they envisioned when they started!

Bill

halthepainter
08-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Remember, like dogs and cats being the real Masters not us, the painting takes you where it wants to go and you generally must follow along. I'm not sure many artist's have every completed a painting that was EXACTLY what they envisioned when they started!

Bill

Agreed Bill, there comes a point in my painting when I ignore the reference photo, or if plein air, I quit looking at the scene and the painting seems to paint itself.

Having had a career as a pilot then as a corporate accountant, I needed to be very critical of my performance. I tend to be very critical of my paintings. Still, I love to paint and once in awhile one painting will spring into creation that I am quite happy with. That makes it all worthwhile.

Scarefishcrow
08-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Agreed Bill, there comes a point in my painting when I ignore the reference photo, or if plein air, I quit looking at the scene and the painting seems to paint itself.

Having had a career as a pilot then as a corporate accountant, I needed to be very critical of my performance. I tend to be very critical of my paintings. Still, I love to paint and once in awhile one painting will spring into creation that I am quite happy with. That makes it all worthwhile.

As long as you enjoy and take away the lessons that both good and "bad" passages have to offer, then you are on the right path!

When the joy is absent, IMHO, the inspiration and creativity will be absent as well! When present, the result is inspired and creative even is it has "imperfections"!:thumbsup: I know because my cabinets are filled with creatively inspired "clunkers"!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Weezy
08-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Several really good ( I mean really good) artists have said that when you criticize your own work that is a good thing. Your eyes and mind are advancing in their judgement. Your NEXT piece will be rungs up on the ladder of artistic accomplishment, because of that perceived lack. Your talents and abilities will scurry to catch up to your visual advancement.

So I say celelbrate what you see wrong in it (even though it's really not wrong), because it means your mind is already working on the next and better piece.
Its the artist who stands back and ADMIRES their own work, unqualified, that stops learning, advancing and becoming a better artist. Complacency breeds mediocrity.
I am always in love with the painting in my mind that is just beyond today's horizon. Wait till you see what I paint tomorrow!!!

All that said.....this is a really good interpretation of the challenge. Nice job.

Pat Isaac
08-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Duh.....brain cramp...

Pat

Pat Isaac
08-27-2009, 10:16 AM
I hate to interfere with all the comments on the critiquing idea, but it is beginning to take over the thread. Maybe you could start one in the talk forum and I could add these posts to it. Lots of good comments here.
Now for the rhubarb, Hal..I'll give it another look...

Pat

Weezy
08-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Hal, might I suggest to look at the atmosphere that Ree gets in her pieces? Look closely at how soft the edges are. I think that's all your far distance needs. What do you think?

oldrockchick
08-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Hal - I am sure we can all do what we can you help. I was just pointing out that we all see things differently and I quite like the rhubarb as I'm used to it. I have no suggestions on that for you I'm afraid.

Louise - soem good points there

Pat - Sure, move the posts a sI think they would make a useful debate thread. It would also help us get to know better how we all feel and what levels of critiques to use to be helpful.

Well, I haven't done much work on my OP Joust as I took it to the art society to do and forgot the ref. I had to add some touches from memory and imagination.

I have tried to start putting in some of the crowd using what I saw from that era at the battle re-enactment.

i [email protected] actually done much on the horses except the outlines> from a distance they look like i have started on them in white< but the paper is actually untouched> one or two of the people at my art group thinks the horse looks striking being light> i would like to make it light< like a sort of beige colour ([email protected] know names for horse colours)> that would leave me wondering though what colour to do the one in the background? the cover has to be white as it is the colours of england> i would like it darker but concerned that it may affect the aerial perspective having a darker horse in the background to a light one in the front>

what do you guys think?

it stil has a looong way to go!

Sheesh my pc just sarted doign weird stuff.
Here is the pic

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2009/179312-1000_9x_OP_WIP_The_Joust_4002.JPG

Please excuse typos my fingers dont' seem to be workign very well today.
and actually for some odd reason my keyboard started to post all the symbols and punctiation in upper case :confused::mad::confused:

marieUK
08-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi Lin. I'm not advocating heavy handed critiques. None of us want that but if there are things about my work that a gentle probing question, or a gentle suggestion for an improvement would be greatly appreciated.

I'm far from comfortable with my oilies yet and struggling with the medium and still having trouble getting it to do what I want it to do.

These pieces would be sooooooooooo much easier to do in acrylic or soft pastels; but I want to become proficient in Ops to avoid the dust in the softies and to have an alternative to working with a wet medium which can be inconvenient. Also some of the Op work here is magnificient and I want to become that skilled with the medium.

Yes, I didn't like my background behind the Knights and suggestions on how put do a better job on my background forest are the kind of things I'm looking for. Suggest a different way to lay in my rhubarb forest?

I also like the oilies because of you guys. This is a very comfortable group of friendly people to be a part of and I enjoy being a part of it.

So thank you all. So.... what do I do with my rhubarb forest???:confused::lol:

Lin How dare you say my lead rider is mooning the two behind him!!!!:lol: :lol:

Hi Hal
Im feeling very much the new girl on the block here but I'll jump in anyway. Please take my comments in the very positive spirit they are sent:) .
First of all I really like this work, it is illustrative and imaginative, all the stuff that really dings my bell but I think you are struggling with the same thing I am and thats getting distance into the background. The path that your knights are following is a long one and you have that feeling of distance really well but in the "rhubarb" the values in the middle ground and the distance seem very similar in values. I certainly havent got all the answers for improvement because as I said this is something I really struggle with myself. I spend quite a lot of time on the landscape forum trying to see how they handle distance and trying to adapt it to OP.
Please feel free to ignore all or any part of this as I may be talking absolute gibberish:) and I still think its a brill painting:clap:

Weezy
08-27-2009, 11:14 AM
You have a possessed keyboard......it's almost that time of year for the ghosties and ghoulies to appear. They must be early in your neighborhood.:eek: :evil:

Pat Isaac
08-27-2009, 11:21 AM
I moved the critiquing comments to a new thread in the talk forum. Here is the link. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580473

Pat

halthepainter
08-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi Hal
:) and I still think its a brill painting:clap:

Thank you aka Dillonsmum and everyone. You're right about my hillside ressession problem. I'll let it age a few days and take a fresh look at the painting.

I think our language barrier has reared it's ugly head. What's brill mean on your side of the pond? :wave: If it means brilliant (I'm just fishing for complitments :lol: ) I thank you.

Your tack in making your suggestion was brill. :thumbsup:

Also, I'll have to go back and see what Reeta has done.

Thank you all.

marieUK
08-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Thank you aka Dillonsmum and everyone. You're right about my hillside ressession problem. I'll let it age a few days and take a fresh look at the painting.

I think our language barrier has reared it's ugly head. What's brill mean on your side of the pond? :wave: If it means brilliant (I'm just fishing for complitments :lol: ) I thank you.

Your tack in making your suggestion was brill. :thumbsup:

Also, I'll have to go back and see what Reeta has done.

Thank you all.

Yes brill is indeed brilliant....who says we speak the same language:lol: :lol:

Scarefishcrow
08-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Yes brill is indeed brilliant....who says we speak the same language:lol: :lol:

Two countries separated by a common language again stikes home!

Hal, maybe that's why you always make your art sound so bad! You know that will bring a swarm of encourging and nice compliments.

You sly dog (or should I say RAM):evil: :evil: :evil:

halthepainter
08-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Hal, maybe that's why you always make your art sound so bad! You know that will bring a swarm of encourging and nice compliments.

You sly dog (or should I say RAM):evil: :evil: :evil:

Bill, I'll never ever be able to bad mouth my art again. I guess I'll have to start showing the good stuff.

Scarefishcrow
08-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Bill, I'll never ever be able to bad mouth my art again. I guess I'll have to start showing the good stuff.

Bad mouth it, but don't say you are embarassed to post it. I do the same thing as you, say matter of factly what I think needs work and ask for suggestions.

My DW is a perfectionist (and in reality I am too) and it is a heavy cross to bear since we know we will never ahieve it. So revel in coming even within sight. We aren't buyers at a show and are an entirely different audience that understands because we all feel the same way many times.

That's one of the great things about this forum, it is made up of artists that have felt all thos same feelings.

I bet every one of you landings was a perfect one, right?

Sorry if this is too philosophical, and I know you feel confident you are a good artist and that may be the problem. You have been successful in a medium for some time and now feel "inadequate" trying to figure ou how to achieve certain things in a new medium.

I just started working with open acrylics because (truth be known) I have missed the feel of a supple brush and soft buttery paint. I think doing multiple media helps rejuvenate and freshen your primary medium. Sometimes you have to put something aside forr a while and when you come back to it you find you can do things you couldn't before. This is very common with learning musical instruments.

Anyway, it is great to have you, and your dry wit, around the forum. We have developed a core of regulars that make for a solid foundation of inspiration for lurkers and newbies.

Thanks for being a part of the family.

Bill

halthepainter
08-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Hi Bill, before Pat gets on our case, I think we should discuss my neuroses in the weekly oil gusher and leave this thread for the art work. See you in the Gusher thread.

thermanj
08-28-2009, 04:12 PM
As I said in the Gusher, here is my entry in this month's challenge. By way of explanation, I am very disappointed....I started on the background yesterday and finished most of it, leaving a space for the hen. This morning, when I checked the reference on my screen, I discovered this...this...this...fowl thing!
It must have been the hen's way of getting even with me. You see, I had originally planned to do the one with rutebegas or whatever they are...the one with lots of green, but no fair using green, ??? But, at the last minute, I "chickened" out. :)

This is about 4" x 6" on real old and cheap drawing paper (about 70#), using Portfolio Water Soluble Oil Pastels. I also used a couple of Walnut Hollow Oil Pencils for some of the detail. Scanned into Picasa and touched up with a small bit of auto-contrast.

My main purpose in doing this picture is to reintroduce myself to this group and give fair warning for any future posts I may submit. In that spirit...does everyone know 'why the chicken crossed the road?'

Ans: ...to prove to the 'possum it could actually be done. :)

Therman

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2009/147594-Which_Came_First.jpg

Pat Isaac
08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Therman. I really like your take on this. Nice texture on the wood and ground. So, did the possum cross the road too?
Nice to see you back and looking forward to more posts.

Pat

halthepainter
08-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Well done Therman

Now the question is: did you start the painting too soon or too late, before or after the hen came or went or laid? Which came first the chicken or the egg????

Art Pie
08-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Nice one Therman :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hello by the way.....I wasn't here a year ago when you were here, so hello from me, and great to meet you :wave:

oldrockchick
08-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi Therman :wave:

I only joined about March so welcome back.
Thanks for havign a go at the challenge. This ref was all about texture and you have done a great jod. The ground with the stones is particularly good. You have made the hen look so much younger too :lol:

Well guys, I haven't progressed further sinc eI posted my WIP on the last page. I still can't make up my mind about the colours of the horses.

Spice3514
08-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Dear Lin and everyone,
Finally I am getting to the August challenges.
I really want to do the Rhubarb, and I've got as far as a rough underpainting in wild colours. I'd like it to be stylised and not realistic, but still read as a wood/stream/plant composition.
But then I got sidetracked into doing a reasonably realistic chicken ....

I think its displacement activity so I can put off tackling the rhubarb.

A4 size, on Sennelier Oil Pastel Paper. Not blended (well, just a tiny bit here and there) which is not my usual style so it was a useful experiment from that point of view.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2009/183415-Chicken-OP-Aug-09-WC-Challe.jpg

Now back to the Rhubarb.

halthepainter
08-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Wow!! Fantastic job Brenda:clap: :clap: :clap:

oldrockchick
08-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for joining in Brenda. I have to say the texture of the hens' feathers and it's body form is superrb.

Look forward to seeing your sylised rhubarb

Pat Isaac
08-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Nicely done, Brenda. Great texture and color on the feathers.

Pat

Spice3514
08-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the comments, Hal, Lin and Pat.

FYI Lin, dont think I have been ignoring this month's challenge. I have been studying the Rhubarb all month. I have used Photoshop Elements to change the colours. I have cropped it. I have thought about it. I am still scared.

B.

SammyH
08-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Lin, your knight and castel are really well done. It looks like it should be a jacket cover for a best selling novel. Now all we have to do is get Robert to write the novel.

Therman, did you notice that your chicken laid an egg? Good idea and nicely executed.

Brenda, fanastic chicken. Love the feathers, the ground and the wood grains. Very loose and free. Great job!

Scarefishcrow
08-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Therman, long time no see! Welcome back and thanks for the wonderful, and humorous, contribution to this month's challenge/:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brenda, nice work on the Chicken. Great texture on the feathers.

PiscesWoman
08-29-2009, 07:01 PM
I really want to do the Rhubarb, and I've got as far as a rough underpainting in wild colours. I'd like it to be stylised and not realistic, but still read as a wood/stream/plant composition.
But then I got sidetracked into doing a reasonably realistic chicken ....

I think its displacement activity so I can put off tackling the rhubarb.

Such a nicer term than "procrastination".:wink2: :lol: I will have to remember it.

Great job on the chook Brenda.

Hi Therman, I'm anther one that would be new to you. Love your mystery hen's gift.

Everyone has done such a good efforts. I've really enjoyed seeing how everyone has tackled Linn's challenges. I'm hoping to get time for one of next month's challenges. As I have just finished one unit of study, the next one starts on Monday, but as I have 13 weeks to complete it, I'm hoping to take a day or two next week for the challenge.

thermanj
08-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Pat, thanks for the welcome and kind words. Here in my area of the 'Poverty Belt' the 'possum (that's Opossum for biology majors) was the No. 1 Roadkill victim for years. I have many warm memories of Sunday afternoon drives with my parents and sister in the old DeSoto, enjoying nature seeing how many possums we could spot alongside the road. Nowadays, due to global warming and other ecological factors, the No. 1 spot has been claimed by the armadillo.

Hal, thanks for the welcome. I don't know the answer to your riddle, but I have some pills that might really be of help to you. I know I couldn't get along without them.

Cy, thanks very much and a great, big, Oklahoma Howdy to you.

Lin, thanks for the welcome and the comment about my stones. I have this thing about stones....when I was much younger it was all the Rolling Stones, and now it's more about kidney stones....BTW I really like your picture of the castle and horses.

Brenda; Absolutely stunning job with your drawing. For a 'reasonably realistic chicken' you have captured the true essence of the fowl. Really great. As my 3 yr old granddaughter would say, "I like dat."

Sammy. my chickens have always been good layers. Thanks for the welcome...have you ever seen anyone hypnotize a chicken?

Bill, great to be back from my sabbatical....actually they let me out a couple of months early...something about budget crunches....anyway, I can't wait to see what's coming up next in the wonderful world of oil pastel.

Therman

SammyH
08-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Therman, tell me about hypnotizing a chicken.:confused: :confused: Is it easier than watching him cross the road?:confused: :confused: Does he wear red suspenders?:confused: :confused:

thermanj
08-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Sammy, I would not joke about something as serious as Chicken Hypnotism. :angel:

http://www.mindpowernews.com/HypnotizeChicken.htm

Therman

Check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF01CTJgAyk

SammyH
08-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Well, Therman, I'm flabbergasted! Have you ever hypnotized a chicken? If so, why?

truck driver
08-30-2009, 12:22 AM
linn is the challenge to not use greens, as in use yellow and blues to make greens or to use like purples and reds? I need clarification.. cuase i am a little on the dense side. Kinda sorta like a brick wall held up with steel truss rods..

RG

truck driver
08-30-2009, 12:26 AM

The best part of this place is to be able to show what you do right.. and what you do wrong, for the encouragement when you get it right, and the ideas when you get it wrong.

Lots of great work.. sorry I havent been able to participate as of yet this month.

RG

halthepainter
08-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Well, Therman, I'm flabbergasted! Have you ever hypnotized a chicken? If so, why?

When I was a kid (in the ancient past) people would use the drawn line method to get the chicken to stay still to lop off it's head. That's a neat picture for early Sunday Morning. :( :crying:

I hope you're not sorry you asked now, Sammy.

SammyH
08-30-2009, 09:46 AM
When I was a kid, I saw a chicken's head cut off. I was horrified to see it run around the yard headless.:( :(

halthepainter
08-30-2009, 09:51 AM
When I was a kid, I saw a chicken's head cut off. I was horrified to see it run around the yard headless.:( :(

I know, I didn't want to bring that up this depressing Sunday morning.

Dismal cloudy days always bring me down. However, the sun may break through this afternoon. :)

Pat Isaac
08-30-2009, 10:29 AM
:eek: Hypnotized chickens!! only to kill them. I saw the same thing when I was a kid and spent summers on my aunt's farm...I didn't eat chicken for months.

Cloudy here too Hal, may see some sun.

Pat

PiscesWoman
08-31-2009, 03:03 AM

Me too!! :eek: Not only was I surprised to see it run around after the head got chopped off, but my cousin Selwyn went and picked up the head and chased me around the back yard, threatening to put it in my pocket.:crying: :crying: We were about 8 and 9 years-old. He was the farm boy who had seen it all before, I was the city girl who had been protected from such things.

robertsloan2
08-31-2009, 03:25 AM
I don't mind the hypnosis for killing them, since they're going to be slaughtered anyway. It probably helps give them a little anesthesia. Surgeons use hypnosis for anesthesia sometimes with very good effects.

I think I got too much into dissection and anatomy as a kid not to know what food was or where it came from. I remember dissecting chicken hearts and giblets at the dinner table and discussing the anatomical details with my dad. I'd probably have drawn it if I hadn't got into trouble for disrupting the meal.

It was one of those Calvin and Hobbes moments. Dad was interested and fell into teacher mode pointing out ventricles and structures, till Mom put a stop to it because Sis got queasy. Then he got stern. It was hard to believe it though when a moment before he'd been as interested as I was and having fun.

Spice3514
08-31-2009, 06:07 AM
Dear Lin and everyone,
As I know nothing about hypnotism, chickens or otherwise, I'll move on to vegetables ...

First rhubarb, Sennelier pastel paper, underpainted with Neocolour II water soluble pastels, with Neopastels on top. Lots of scumbling!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2009/183415-Rhubarb-OP1-Aug-09.jpg

Second rhubarb, on Hahnemuhle oil pastel paper, underpainted with Neocolour II water soluble pastels, with Neopastels and some Senneliers on top.
My inspiration for this was Moorcroft pottery, which is highly stylised, the styling wasnt too bad but I failed to get the jewel-like colours that I wanted on the rhubarb leaves - unfortunately I changed my mind a couple of times and overlaid a bit too much OP. It was a great exercise for making me extract the key elements of the picture.
And its definitely not realistic, for once.:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2009/183415-Rhubarb2-OP-Aug-09.jpg

SammyH
08-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Brenda,

The second rhubarb is really very nice. The rhubarb looks great and the couple splashes of dark blue against the yellow makes it stand out. I love your trees and the fact that you made the trunks all different shades. This is such a fun piece and very appealling.

The rhubarb in the first one is interesting - interesting colors, shapes and textures.

Pat Isaac
08-31-2009, 08:58 AM
Brenda, I really like the stylized second piece, though the blue does ttend to grab my eye a little. I agree with Sammy about the trees. Nicely done.

The first piece looks a little unfinished to me. Do you plan to work on it some more?

Pat

Spice3514
08-31-2009, 09:09 AM
Hi Sam and Pat, thanks for your comments.
The first piece does look a bit unfinished but to be honest I'm not planning to spend any more time on it at the moment. You may not think so, but Rhubarb has been playing a big part in my leisure time lately and its time to move on!
The second stylised one was good fun and maybe its something that I could do again. The blue on the rhubarb started purple, then became blue, then had some red added .. it all got a bit mixed up. But as its the last day of the month, and 5 hrs later over here, it was time to post it.
Will I be the last? We havnt seen anything from RG or GOSH yet ...

halthepainter
08-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Brenda, you amaze me. The two treatments of the same subject fascinate me. Your second piece is certainly outside my artistic box and I find it fun and fascinating. Would you call it a primitive or is there another category to put it in? I know it's stylized but is that how it would be classified in an art show?

I also like the treatment of you rhubarb in the first painting.

Robert, perhaps you missed your calling, you should have been a heart surgeon.

Lin, a big thank you to this month's challenges. This is the first month I've been motivated enough to complete all three challenges. :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

oldrockchick
08-31-2009, 12:11 PM
linn is the challenge to not use greens, as in use yellow and blues to make greens or to use like purples and reds? I need clarification.. cuase i am a little on the dense side. Kinda sorta like a brick wall held up with steel truss rods..

RG
Hi RG and good to see you back :) :wave::)

You can either do the rhubarba totally abstract in any colours you like except green, or you can do it as it is but as you say, don't use any green OPs, just anything else that makes the colours that you wish. I used blues, greens even black and cream for the greens.

Hal - glad to hear you have been inspired this month. I'm please I could find somethign to interest you.

Brenda - I like both of yoour pieces. The second is like a design that could be used on something, maybe I dont' know a fabric or a tee shirt print. Definatley stylish and interesting. Now your first work is a good abstract take so on both of these you rose to that apart of the challenge. Although in some ways it can be considered unfinished it has the sort of eerie atmosphere of a dream. It's like the sort of plac eI would travel to in my sleep. I like it.

oldrockchick
08-31-2009, 12:22 PM
I still haven't finished my knight and it is the end of the month already but I will and I'll post the finish here. I'm still pondering on the horse colours as I said in the last post. Not sure if to have a dark or mid coloured one at the back, but some at my art group suggested a light coloured one in the front.
When I decide I'll finish it.

If some of you haven't finished your pieces yet, or even if you haven't started but would like to, then it is still ok to post on here after the month has ended. (That's right isn't it Pat?) So dont' give up on them. We would still like to see them.

Thank you all so much for joining in with my OP party and the challenges this month. I hope you enjoyed them.

Maybe Bill and Pat will let me do another one some time. :D

Oh, and they let me loose over in the WDE, I'm hosting the Weekend Drawing Event next weekend too! :lol: Friday 4 Sept.

Now we can all look forward to seeing what Weezy has in store in the September challenge for us.

Scarefishcrow
08-31-2009, 10:06 PM
[quote=oldrockchick.

Maybe Bill and Pat will let me do another one some time. :D

.[/quote]

All you have to do is ask. Anyone willing to take the time to host the monthly challenge is welcome and here is a link to info on it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507021

Lin, thanks for hosting and adding a unique twist to the challenge. You are always welcome as host.

Bill

oldrockchick
09-01-2009, 08:36 AM
All you have to do is ask. Anyone willing to take the time to host the monthly challenge is welcome and here is a link to info on it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507021

Lin, thanks for hosting and adding a unique twist to the challenge. You are always welcome as host.

Bill

Cool, thank you all :)

Glad you enjoyed it.

I am hoping to make a 'gallery' of all the works completed for this month. I know some have pieces still to finish so I'll wait a bit though.

Pat Isaac
09-01-2009, 08:41 AM
That's always so nice Lin. It is interesting seeing all the pieces together.

Pat

oldrockchick
09-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Here is my final finished piece of The Joust. I put a fram round it as the edges of the paper were a bit jagged and it was hard to crop as the paper curled.

15" x 13"
HP Fabriano heay paper with 2 coats of Gesso applied
Oil Pastels : Neopastels, a coupel of DRs and Senns
'The Joust'
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2009/179312-The_Joust__Op_3_Sep_09_Framed.jpg

If any of you have unfinished work and can manage to get them doen and posted by the weekend I'm planning to make up a gallery of works thread for this month.

SammyH
09-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Lin,

This is so colorful and delightful. The castle in the bg is very nice especially with all the wonderful colors. The red and whites provide good contrast and an ideal focal point. The suggestion of a crowd standing around the castel adds a lot of interest. Nice handling of the horse and rider. Well done!

marieUK
09-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Really like this Lin, theres a good sense of distance between the central character and the background, love the crowd and the castle. Look forward to seeing the galery:)
:wave: Marie

Pat Isaac
09-03-2009, 10:54 AM
What a great finish, Lin and I also like the crowd and i especially love the colors on the castle.

Pat