PDA

View Full Version : Marilyn from Vanity Fair

geranium
07-31-2009, 11:16 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-31-2009/6640_Marilyn_on_Grey.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Marilyn from Vanity Fair
Year Created:
Medium: Other
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is another one for the AWOL Square Foot Show. I don't know if I will put it in or not as I kind of just threw it together - cut out the pictures of Marilyn from an old Vanity Fair [I THINK I am giving them credit because Vanity Fair is printed down by her feet. The background and sides of the canvas are painted with acrylic.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I think it is fun but does it look too thrown together to exhibit?

allanom
07-31-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm entering 3 oil paintings in the AWOL show as well.

I think you are on shakey ground, using copywrited photos of Marilyn (and especially Marilyn, as it's very much a cliche to do anything with her image, since it's been so done to death) in such a pedestrian way -- meaning, photos you didn't take are pretty much what this piece is all about (since all you did was glue them to a background and place a couple of brushstrokes of grey paint on her head). Even if you really buried her in a lot more images and paint, you might have a case that it's creatively your "collage" work.

(Sorry I've been so hard on you with this one and the abstract you painted previously, but this forum IS about "critiquing". And I always try to call 'em the way I see 'em.)

artbabe21
07-31-2009, 06:43 PM
I agree completely w/you allanom. This would be pure copy right violation.
Not real original. :)

Bizkit
08-01-2009, 09:39 PM
There is nothing Cliche about Marilyn...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/Hellcat65/MarilynMonroe-1.jpg

geranium
08-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Don't worry about being hard on me - that is what critiques are for isn't it? I absolutely know this is not a great work of art!! Marilyn has certainly been done to death but then so has Mary in the Pieta and Elvis and and and.... I think it is fun and I like to support AWOL. Since I am not hiding the origin of the photos who would sue me? Am I not advertising Vanity Fair? Marilyn has been dead for more than 25 years so I think that makes her fair game? If I put it in anyway what might I expect to happen and by whom? Of course I will run it by the AWOL artists before leaving it with them. Just curious.
Thanks for your comments.

artbabe21
08-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Wasn't trying to be hard on you. Trying to make you aware that as an artist, respecting the copy right of other's work is quite important. It's about integrity. :)

Since this is a show, don't they ask for original work? This isn't & when you display this work as your own orignal work you are violating copy right laws. I doubt they would take this into the show, not being original work.
Use your own photos or drawings.

tali
08-03-2009, 04:38 AM
I think technically it would be considered derivative work, which is still a “no, no” without permission. But I’m afraid that is does look “thrown together”—it’s the composition and lack of interesting negative space that’s interfering. Think of what you are trying to say…copy the photos again and try another arrangement—this time trying to lead the viewer’s eyes to your center of interest.