PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble...

animal
01-13-2001, 12:53 AM
I am having trouble with the student brand I am using. I work on a painting and I try to put more paint on the previous layer and the paint rubs off and I am not sure why this is happening any ideas? I am using my acrylics on canvas board.

LDianeJohnson
01-13-2001, 04:28 PM
animal,
It is hard to tell without seeing your painting, but it is possible the board is the problem. If you purchased the canvas board pre-primed and it has a very smooth surface, sometimes you'll paint a layer with acrylic, then the subsequent layers will virtually rub away with the new brush strokes. If you think that is the issue, before painting the next painting, first put a thin coat of gesso, let dry, then a a heavier coat in the other direction, let dry, sand lightly (or not at all depending on the tooth you like) then try applying the paint. This should help.
Diane

------------------
2001 L. Diane Johnson Plein Air Workshops (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com/workshops)

animal
01-13-2001, 05:27 PM
Thanks Diane I wil try doing what you said with my next painting,That sounds like that may be the problem but i`ll tell you what happened when I do another painting

LDianeJohnson
01-14-2001, 05:16 PM
Sounds good. Wish you all the best with it!

Dima
01-14-2001, 06:38 PM
Hello Animal,

If you want to carry on with the paintings you are having this problem with you might try giving them a layer of matte medium, let it dry and then continue painting.
If you do, please let us know if it worked.

Dick

------------------

VictoriaS
01-19-2001, 02:21 PM
I shouldn't be giving advice since I've just begun using acrylics, but might your brushes have something to do with it? It seems a bristle brush would pick up more of the lower layer of wet paint, and a softer synthetic brush might not.

henrik
01-21-2001, 03:15 PM
If too much water is used to thin the paint then there is not enough adhesion - subsequent layers will lift the previous layer - it can be rubbed of using hand etc.

Use a medium instead of water if you need thin/transparent color.

------------------
Visit my gallery at Artistnation (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/henrik)