GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Dancer
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
this was painted from a photo i took at a Native American gathering of Nations in Gallup New Mexico...very colorful costumes! Done "Ala Prima" style.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Although i have already signed this work and considered it done, some of my friends and family suggest i should complete the bottom portion...although i like it the way it is...SOOOO give me your thoughts on that, or any other part of this piece. :) thanks

crazywoman53
07-30-2009, 11:58 AM
I think this is wonderful. I have a lot of photos of the pow wow dancers but have yet to paint one. I wouldn't finish the bottom mainly because it will bring the image too close to the bottom and since you can't fit his entire lower body on there it wouldn't really accomplish anything. I think you have captured the essence of the expression of this dance wonderfully. The only thing that bothers me is the yellow horizonal line divides your canvas in half and is distracting. I'd leave the dancer alone though.. it's beautiful!

La_
07-30-2009, 01:25 PM
very nicely done!

hmm, i wouldn't 'complete' the bottom portion ... as it is it captures nicely the movement and vibrancy of the dance ... i might lighten the top left corner just a titch ...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2009/84648-Image5a.jpg
maybe? what do you think?

la

Coop
07-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Yea La, thats what my daughter said..i think we all have a dif sense of balance, LOL :) i agree with you and that was my argument, that leaving the bottom as is helped with the feeling of motion. thanks for your input too crazywomen, that wet yellow horizontal line was spontanious...then i went..O crap...do i really want that there ? but then it kinda looked like suggesting desert landscape...so i left it.. as i said..balance seems to be in the eye of the beholder :)

artbabe21
07-30-2009, 02:53 PM
This is a spectacular painting! It's perfect the way it is! La's suggestion is a good one though.

Welcome to WC & the OC forum.

Mikey
07-30-2009, 05:32 PM
I would keep that bottom part. It gives the painting extra vitality and movement.

Corby
07-30-2009, 07:20 PM
I like the wet yellow line, it could be either a tiny bit higher or a tiny bit lower...not dead center. The energy and movement of the piece is wonderful. I think the line gives it something to vibrate around as compared to a blank space. The upper left hand corner...I agree...lighter. I have looked at hundreds of these on computer, but haven't yet painted one. Always meaning to...yours is exceptionally nice coop.

yarddog
08-01-2009, 01:58 AM
a pow-wowerful nice painting.....really really nice.....I like the corner unfinished......ydhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2009/182771-peacepipe.gif

laudesan
08-02-2009, 10:00 PM
It is perfect as is. Beautiful painting!

Dana Design
08-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't complete the bottom! This gives a tremendous sense of movement and it's perfect, IMO!~

seventex
08-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Do NOT "finish" the bottom. You'll lose some of the movement that makes this work and you'll be second guessing your best instincts about the work.

tgsloth
08-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Get some new friends. The current set is not working out.
Oh, and the paintings' perfect.