PDA

View Full Version : man in deanum jackit

jayd6706
07-30-2009, 01:47 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-29-2009/192667_man_in_denun_jacket.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: man in deanum jackit
Year Created:
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
was drawn from a magazin photo

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
hows my composition and shading

TScottDove
07-30-2009, 03:24 AM
nicely rendered.
composition is very straightforward; taking him off-center either right or left would add some interest. don't be afraid to push the shadows and highlights either

billmahler
07-30-2009, 08:02 AM
You got generally good proportions and values, and that's most of the battle, so you have a good picture.

Next time, center one eye rather than centering the nose. That will move the focus to that eye and make your composition slightly off center and more interesting.

You did a generally good job of using values, rather than lines, especially on the viewer's left side of his nose, but here and there, the lines crept in. The lines on his hair, chin and eyelids should be value changes.
A good exercise for getting rid of lines is to force yourself to keep your strokes going in one direction, the way you did on the nose and mouth.

thomas w
07-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Really nice job. You did good on the eyes, you can tell you spent some time on them because they are darker than anything else in the picture. Try doing that on the the nose and mouth next time as well.

La_
07-30-2009, 12:47 PM
well yeah, good lookin' dude - lovely eyes and i like that they grab me first and pull me into the rest of his face.

only picks i've got is the (viewers) left side jaw seems odd, and the shoulders look a little low.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2009/84648-Image4a.jpg
(check your reference 'cause i'm just guessing here)

certainly there's room to bump up the contrast throughout the piece but i've got nothing against softness

la

Coop
07-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Hard to tell from photos of work how deep your and extensive your value range is...but from the photo i agree with the first post as well...don't be afraid to go dark in some choice places....pull out the ol value scale and see how much more you can ad...just my two cents...other than that its a good rendering...