PDA

View Full Version : Sugarmill Stream

PETE K
07-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi All, did this yesterday it's of a stream in Sugarmill. it was an area here in St. Marys long ago where they had a mill that ground sugar. there are still some walls left on the mill but that about it. the walls were made of tabbie. lime, some cement and shells mostly shells. well this stream runs through the plantation. good place for large mouth bass. it's on watercolour paper tinted tan gesso/pumice. 9/12. C&C please.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2009/131537-100_0983.jpg

crazywoman53
07-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Ohhhhh I like this.. the only little nit I have is the lichen on the middle tree appears to be spaced too evenly.. I'd stagger them like you have on the foreground tree. Quite lovely!!!

Susan Jenkins
07-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Pete... this is just wonderful!!! So misty... Looks like the rivers here in Florida.
Nice work!!!
:) susan

CarolaH
07-29-2009, 07:01 PM
beautiful piece.

Kathryn Wilson
07-29-2009, 07:16 PM
My favorite of yours so far!

I agree with Crazywoman - the length and the space inbetween the strands Spanish Moss is too similar.

Donna T
07-29-2009, 07:25 PM
This is gorgeous, Pete! The only minor thing that caught my eye is the reflection of the grass in the foreground seems a little too straight and regular. Maybe vary that reflection a little so it matches the different heights of the grasses?

Donna

pastel lover
07-30-2009, 12:49 AM
Hi Pete,

This is reallly nice! Love your handling of all that greenery, a nice variety. I especially like the passage with the patch of light in the upper right corner.

Tanja

Donna T
07-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Maybe I should have thought twice before saying what I did about the grass reflection, Pete. It's probably better left alone if you don't want a lot of attention in that area. Sometimes I type before I think!

Donna

granddad
07-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Love this piece, it really draws you in. James

PETE K
07-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Hi Crazywoman, thank you very much and i have taken care of it,

Susan, Thank you, this stream empties into the St Marys River about a little over a mile away, and half of the St. Marys River is in Florida. the border of GA and Fl runs down the middle of the river on the east coast. thank you again.

Thank you Carol.

Hi Kathryn, well thank you ever so much.

Thank you Donna, i think your right. in the photo i took it was stright but it would read better if it wasn't. sure do appreciate it. always tell me what you think. if i like the idear i will do it. i think if i change it some and soften it some it would read better and draw less attention. what do you think?

Hi Tanja, thanks about all the greens, thats why i like to get away from them at times. it makes them easyer to do then on the next one. and the little bit of high light on the top i figured it was just enought to to show some depth there. there is one spot down by the grass that did come out real dark. but it isn't the pic came out contrasty. there is a cupple of black tree trunks in there with dark gray/green also which pushes that area back even more but you can't see it in this pic. it just looks black and the river bed also cant see any detail there also in the pic.

Hi James, thats the whole point of painting to me is to get the depth and give you the feeling that it;s real. but i find up close you dont get the feeling as if you were back 4 to 6 ft. back from it, where most people see it from. if it were on the wall of your house. the painting has a whole new look to it. it looks so real then. thanks again.

claydesigner2156
07-30-2009, 11:53 PM
I know the area...not the mill in particular,,,but it looks sooo much like the Florida "water" areas I know. Lived in Fl 19 yrs and can't even count the number of time I've been over the St. Mary's river! It's almost misty. Quite nice.

Yvonne

IMaybe
07-31-2009, 10:50 AM
:clap: Very nice---good usage of greens, and depth is ovbious----the water quite beleivable. Very nice painting

bnoonan
07-31-2009, 11:09 AM
I love watching your progression and this is just wonderful. congratulations for putting so much time into painting and making it work!!! Barb

Donna T
07-31-2009, 04:44 PM
i think if i change it some and soften it some it would read better and draw less attention. what do you think?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's completely up to you, Pete. The more I look at that reflection the more I like it just as it is. A very subtle softening probably wouldn't hurt but I hope you'll be real careful if you do it. This is such a nice painting!

Donna

PETE K
08-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi All, not much time to do everything. a lot of work still to do. and not enought time to do them in.

Hi Yvonne, what area of FLorida, did you live in?

Hi Imaybe, well thank you at times i love my greens but at times i like the different colours also.

Barb, thanks ever so much. I just love to paint. I try to paint one a day. some times it works and sometims it doesn't. but i feel i learn from each and everyone i do, weather it's what i did right. or what i did wrong and then try not to do it again. some times it works. my only thing for the next week is i don't see me getting a chance to paint. or even be on here as much. I'm Going to try tho. thanks again Barb.

claydesigner2156
08-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi Pete,

Moved to south FL in the 70's ...left for 10 yrs.Came back to live in Miami Beach (UGH!) and 3 yrs later ended up in the Orlando area for 19 yrs. 3 1/2 yrs ago the storms made us move north to NC. Know 95 and 4 VERRRY well.. also the west and north parts of FL...and the rivers and swamps. Your painting captures it perfectly.
Yvonne

oakrose
08-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Oooooooh! This is just wonderful!:clap: I want to be there.

The only thing I notice that you might change is the black areas. Although I'm not one who thinks black should never ever be used, I find it grabs my attention here, whereas very dark colors would harmonize with the surrounding colors better. But maybe what I'm seeing isn't accurate to the real painting and it's just the way it translates onto my screen.

Polly

bnoonan
08-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I do exactly what you do Pete.... try painting every day and hope one works.... Barb

RooGal
08-01-2009, 04:27 PM
This is terrific Pete! I would love to set down on the banks and cast a line myself.

Merriel
08-01-2009, 07:09 PM
This is beautiful. You have a wonderful soft touch. I personally wouldn't change a thing in this. Just make note of it mentally and move on. I'd sure put this on my wall.

Merriel

Lynne Vokatis
08-01-2009, 10:52 PM
wow pete this is awesome!!!! I love it its all hot and sultry....sorry i dont think i want to "be"there in that humidity!!!!but i loooove looking at it.you really got the feeling of the place.lynne:thumbsup:

PETE K
08-03-2009, 01:36 AM
Hi All, finaly got a break for a little. i'm tired of nameing pieces, matting, framing, wireing and papering back of paintings and cataloging paintings. just a few more to go. but still 4 more days of other things that have to be done in two different Gallerys. one for my show in a different gallery and one for another artist in my gallery. and we might get a new gallery in my home town. working on that also. so thanks all.

Hi Yvonne, i had an uncle that lived around Orlando, also a cusion in winter haven. and know some other people around hat area it they still live there. thank you again Yvonne.

Hi Polly, thank you, but the black areas are not black in life. thay are different shads of dark grays/greens blues they came out in this pic black only. thank you again.

Hi Barb, i do hope they all work when i start each one. but they don't allways work out as you know. but the more you paint the more you learn.

Hi Pam, it's sure is nice to sit there a fish when you know the gaters are not around. but i still fish but do keep a eye out for them. thank ever so much.

Hi Meriel, thank you very much. i did a few small changes not much. and it's behind glass now. each and every one i do i mentally make notes and try to learn from then in later pieces. thanks again.

Well Hi Lynne, thank you every so much. it is hot down here. and really after the after noon rains the humidity sure does get thick. it's hard to breath at times. more so over a street or parking lot. and the hotest humidit place is on a roof. 95 on the ground and 125 to 130 up there around mid afternoon. well thanks again Lynne,

Hope everyone has a nice day.