PDA

View Full Version : An Accentuation Of Aspen Autumn

aspenman
07-29-2009, 03:02 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-29-2009/193926_DSC_0003-1.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: An Accentuation Of Aspen Autumn
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14 x 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Plette knife application done this mo<br>ing 7/29 from a 7x5 plein-air study done early last fall as the aspens leaves started to tu<br> in the Jemez Mountains.<br>For miles away in the fall all you can see on the mountains in Santa Fe is bright yellow as the Aspens take over the local color.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All constructive comments welcomed.<br><br>My intention was to accentuate the beauty of this wonderful part of nature. Color is my emotion.

TScottDove
07-30-2009, 03:38 AM
I'm partial to this over some of your other paintings of aspens. And I like this a lot. Might be the color, but it also seems more vivacious - a little less controlled than the others. I love the dark hues on the ground between the trees, but the lighter grey area in the bottom 1/4 of the piece throws me. If it was the darker shade all the way to the bottom edge, i think the trees might pop more.

aspenman
07-30-2009, 11:10 AM
I agree with you Dave and that has already been changed - I did some color correction with Picasa and the results was the washing out of the bottom. thanks for your comment. In real life the painting is much, much brighter. I started this painting out by applying (in a vertical fashion) Gloss Super Heavy Gel puposely making outlines of "trees" on the surface in various widths. Once dried to clear, I then applied paint with palette knife for the BG and then developed the trees with a palette knife. So there is a lot of raised texture to this piece.

Coop
07-30-2009, 11:35 AM
BRAVO!! The aspens made a great departure point for this journey into ....well...yourself. As an abstract painting..all is well. although from the photo it seems the bright yellows want to pop forward in front of the foreground tree.

Corby
07-30-2009, 07:31 PM
This is wonderful! Up close it vibrates...almost makes my eyes cross! From a distance it dissolves into a beautiful stand of trees...really an outstanding painting from my view.