PDA

View Full Version : Musician

Sam Harrison
07-29-2009, 02:45 AM
Greetings to the pen and ink forum!
I haven't worked in this medium in a long time but upon sorting through my old pens, I found my oldest brush pen had finally given up the ghost, so I figured I'd do a drawing or two with the others.

Working in ink has improved my drawing discipline due to the permanency. It's also been fun learning new ways to shade!

Here are the first two scans of the drawing I'm working on.
My main pens for this are a fine-tip Pitt and a 005 Micron.

A few questions I have:
-The guitar has a bit of a "burst" pattern on the sides. What might be the best way to accomplish this smooth shading?
- There are a LOT of black or near black areas. Since my brush pen is dried out, does it seem reasonable to accomplish this using a mixture of heavy crosshatching and dark marker? I am using a few Prismacolor gray markers for the flannel with hatching to give it some texture.
- This is somewhat unrelated, but what other sorts of paper do you artists use? This is a bleedproof marker paper but I seem to recall bristol board worked well as well, particularly with ink washes or watercolor.

(I know markers aren't the most permanent of media, but I like them with this.)

Thanks for looking!

Jakeally
07-29-2009, 04:02 AM
Hi Sam ... you have a really good start here:thumbsup:
Bristol board and any sort of hot pressed watercolour paper work really well with P&I.
You could use stippling or cross hatching for the shading on the guitar ... possibly stippling would give you a smoother graduation. I always have trouble getting a smooth result with cross hatching but that's just me. Lots of other artists manage it perfectly.
I would say use whatever tools you think will get the job done to your satifaction.
Have fun:wave:

valchina612
07-29-2009, 04:31 AM
Hi Sam,

I really like what you have done so far. I agree with Chris about the stippling for the shading of the guitar -- I find stippling much easier than crosshatching for shading, but like Chris, that's just me. I'll be interested in seeing which way you go. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

IslanderNL
07-29-2009, 07:23 AM
I really like this image. It has a lot of life to it.

I agree that stippling may be your best bet for the shading and design on the guitar. Perhaps you could use that and a wash as well for the base value. My crosshatching never looks perfect when trying to shade, but it can be built up. It depends on the look you're going for. I don't think you'd want too many different textures going on in the drawing, it may distract the eye.

speedbump1
07-29-2009, 04:09 PM
I would say hatching for the second question since you already have lines for the shape. But that could be proven wrong if you did it both ways.

Just do some thumbnails to figure out where to go with the drawing.

Sam Harrison
07-30-2009, 04:52 AM
thanks for the advice so far!

I got a new brush pen and am now showing this drawing who's boss!

Actually I've only used it sparingly so far. I finished the marker part today and am now working on adding in light textures to the coat with regular pen. That coat has been a blast to do because of its... flannel-y-ness.

The guitar headstock hasn't been done yet because I'm afraid of it and therefore am putting it off.

Two questions:
- The guitar is a bit blacker than this but I'm not sure if I should lay down the black ink yet. Would the higher contrast make it look better or is it adequate as it is? Right now I think it blends in with the coat a bit so perhaps black would make it stand out a little more.

- I messed up and dropped a marker and pen. There is now a large spot of ink in the white corner. Is there any way to fix this? So far I've been using a bit of white gauche and white ink to make small corrections but this seems like something that's going to be hard to deal with. It's not big enough to start over for yet it's irritating. I erased it digitally on the scan but imagine a large gray splotch in the upper right corner and you have it.

speedbump1
07-30-2009, 12:22 PM
You could try a electric eraser. I've used one several times to remove a boo boo. It takes a fine touch to remove the ink without messing up the paper, but if you practice first using the electric eraser, you should be fine.

joatmon
07-31-2009, 04:21 PM
How about if you show your work with the grey splotch, maybe one of us will see something in it, that could be incorporated into the background?
LeAnn

tazzy
08-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Once you tackle the headstock and get it finished, I would quit there. Looks very cool just as it is. But that's just me, I always worry that I will try to go too far. Nice work, looking forward to seeing more. tazzy