PDA

View Full Version : Todays plein-air, am againist the sun a bit-

IMaybe
07-28-2009, 05:53 PM
:) Good morning! Today I went again to Hope valley, and this time painted on Wallis---its 10 3/4 by 12--very odd, but thats ok , its mainly to learn, and so I will learn to be more careful with my paper sizes! I began about 8 and painted until 10.00---late for me, but I still got cold! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2009/128302-plein-air_ref-.jpg First a photo to show you where I was, and that it was facing the sun a bit. Much more color in real life, really. I did edit a lot of the trees out, and tried to pusjh others back---I took out the first bush on the left so it wouldn't be a wall not letting you into the scene.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2009/128302-end_of_july_in_hope_v.jpg Do you like the comp? plein-air is great, but boy, its not easy. 2 hrs,here, and I feel tired. I am going to sort my pastel box now. How do you keep it straight? Thanks for looking, and please--c & c's always. oh, using my viewfinder, I didn't push it as far back as you could, so the trees are closer appearing. Only 493 more to go! ( right)

Kathryn Wilson
07-28-2009, 06:43 PM
I like your thought processes - thinking about the comp and incorporating it into the scene as you are looking at it. No scene is perfect and it is difficult figuring out what to leave in and to take out. Believe me, I know it is tiring.

I really like the tree trunk colors on the left. I'm not sure I would have placed that big large, grey rock right in the middle and it does point out that your horizon line is at about the middle too.

I wasn't clear what the dead tree was that is bent over in the middle of the painting and it is confusing until you look at the photo - not sure you needed that in the painting.

All in all, a really nice plein air study!

DAK723
07-28-2009, 07:51 PM
I really like this! I do agree that the bent tree is a distraction and could be eliminated. The horizon line is a non-issue to me. Horizon lines in the middle are only a problem if they divide your painting in two - in other words a sky painting and a ground painting, that aren't really connected. With the mountains, this is a 90% ground, 10% sky painting! You have done an excellent job with the light and shadow!

Don

helenh
07-28-2009, 08:48 PM
I love the crisp, clean colors. The blue mountains are lovely. Definitely agree about the dead tree branch. It should go because it's confusing and doesn't add anything to the painting. Overall, a very nice painting.

Donna T
07-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Nice one, Ida. This was worth getting out there early for. I would lose the dead, bent tree too, because there's nothing else like it in the scene and it kind of draws our attention. The rock is also a solo player and the painting wouldn't suffer any if you left it out. I wouldn't mind a better view of the trees behind it but that's just me. This painting certainly describes the beautiful sunny morning so you deserve to be very happy with it!

Donna

Kathryn Wilson
07-28-2009, 10:36 PM
I really like this! I do agree that the bent tree is a distraction and could be eliminated. The horizon line is a non-issue to me. Horizon lines in the middle are only a problem if they divide your painting in two - in other words a sky painting and a ground painting, that aren't really connected. With the mountains, this is a 90% ground, 10% sky painting! You have done an excellent job with the light and shadow!

Don

Don, I am going to respectfully disagree and tell you why.

When I spoke about the horizon line, I was suggesting to her that when she does plein air, she needs to be very mindful of where her horizon line is. It may not be all that important in this painting, but there will come along a painting that she needs to be very mindful about it as it will make or break a good painting. She did ask about composition and it needed to be pointed out.

I guess I am not disagreeing, but stating why I said that about this painting. :o

DAK723
07-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Don, I am going to respectfully disagree and tell you why.

When I spoke about the horizon line, I was suggesting to her that when she does plein air, she needs to be very mindful of where her horizon line is. It may not be all that important in this painting, but there will come along a painting that she needs to be very mindful about it as it will make or break a good painting. She did ask about composition and it needed to be pointed out.

I guess I am not disagreeing, but stating why I said that about this painting. :o
Yes, A good point and I'm sorry if I seemed to over-react! I just see so many folks so concerned about the "horizon line rule" that I feel the need to comment to alleviate some of the anxiety it creates. It has become a sort of "pet peeve" of mine and I apologize for making it sound like my answer was somehow definitive. It is definitely my opinion that I am stating. Sorry!

Don

Kathryn Wilson
07-28-2009, 11:09 PM
No need to apologize! We just have differing opinions :)

nvcricket
07-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Great to see you getting out there!!! COLD???? 10 am???? What was it all of 80 degrees?

You have garnered some great C&Cs. I know your push this summer has been to get practice with trees, so I'm going to stick to commenting on trees. The branches you have sticking out of the left trees are as thick as the base of the tree. Also that left clump of three trees, the left most looks like it gets thicker in the middle. As it is down stream from the sun rays, through a few shadows over it. For only two hours, and with this size!!! I give you a standing ovation! Great rearrangement of the elements. I kinda like that branch, it sort of is inviting me to come out into the bright meadow and soak up that sun, and warm up a cold artist!!! lol

Have fun for me too!
Carol

IMaybe
07-29-2009, 11:44 AM
:clap:
gee, thanks for all the help---and I totally agree with Katheryn about the dead tree. I hesitanted when I put it in, and fought with it the whole time. Should of known!! Really, the only thing I like is the trees on the right! But this was good for me, and I had a nice day---Next time, water! But really, all the crits are sooo good. Carole is so right about the tree branches on the left! This is Wallis, so I will be changing these things today. And the horizon line IS an important concideration! Really is, And I try to remeber that, if its not in the right place you can't even get trees to look BIG or far away or a number of things. Thanks, I so appreaciate this!:smug: That big rock will get some modification as well!

IMaybe
07-30-2009, 01:23 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2009/128302-fixed_in_july_30.jpg I think I improved it, I hope so! I guess I hadn't edited out enough!! Thanks for your help, I so appreciate it. This is just a study, and I have so much to learn about plein-air---but boy is is fun. C&C's please. I had no idea color and comp. was so hard!! Now on to more!

Kathryn Wilson
07-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Great changes! Glad you are having fun and we enjoy helping.

Donna T
07-30-2009, 02:55 PM
I agree - great changes! The new little rocks are a nice addition - now the big one looks much rockier.

Donna