Dimension: 70x70 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I forgot the red.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments.

MRSBB
07-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I think you did a good job on this painting, but I would find it much more enjoyable if I could see their faces and a touch of color somewhere in the painting.......Lenore

crazywoman53
07-28-2009, 02:14 PM
I find this painting troubling to me. It is painted well but the greyed tones and lack of faces and color makes me feel like the Grinch that stole summer captured this one. Sorry..

myenglishisterrible
07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
MRSBB
I understand but, of course, it's done on purpose.

crazywoman
Yes! That's the spirit!

(by the way, that needs little improvements. For instance, the small part of the faces that you can see is blurred, but not blurred the good way)

future
07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
i think every artist should have different pieces, explore color, texture and subject; when was the last time that you actually used a bright green or orange; i think it is time for a change of palate , dont u crave color!!!!

myenglishisterrible
07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
I know, but I don't like bright colors, at least in my own painting. It's a matter of temper, a matter of light (the weather is often grey, here), perhaps a matter of culture (much belgian painters use a limited palette).
You don't paint the same way in Oostende and in California.

totsy
07-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Hi 'Speaklittleenglish',

I like the lack of color, although I like to paint with color. However, I think this painting would be the 'bomb' (meaning great) if the faces were not hidden. But if this is what makes your boat float and sells...go for it.

La_
07-29-2009, 02:22 AM
i'm very much liking your style! drab color and lack of face is, to me, a very nice change of pace from the normal. tho i don't see a 'grinch' theme at all.

is the striped shirt girls hand too small?

i've challenged myself recently with painting children so perhaps this one especially strikes me as very well done

la

tali
07-29-2009, 06:55 AM
I really like this painting. The limited palette works beautifully with the design. I like the other one you posted recently as well. With the faces on the canvas or rendered clearly, this painting would be too crowded. The cropping let's the viewer enjoy all the shapes and movement more freely. There is a tention that makes me wonder (or dread?) what might be coming next is the story that this painting tells.

thomas w
07-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Great painting. I love the subtleties of this.
You must really have a lot of patience for people telling you to brighten up your paintings.
I love your style, don't ever change.

myenglishisterrible
07-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks to all.

I know it's a bit unusual way of painting, but not so unusual, specially in the contemporary art. I have no problems with people telling me "I don't like this", "I don't like that", ""You should do that", etc. I listen to them, sometimes I must admit they're right. Most of the time I go on working the same way, without changing anything. But any comment is welcome.

Colors, bright or not, must tell something, whatever it is. I don't want to use bright colors only because pictures with bright colors should look more pleasant. I don't try to paint something pleasant. If sometimes it's pleasant, that's by accident.

(sorry, maybe that sounds a little blunt... I don't want to be rude, but myenglish etc.)

tony1
07-29-2009, 08:58 AM
I think the color is fine as is. In fact it beautifully illustrates (in my mind/eyes) the washed out colors of summer's bright sun. I think of myself squinting on a very bright summer's day to ease the brightness. To my eyes you've captured that very well here.

As far as faces yes I would like to see them but I take this painting for what it is and thoroughly enjoy it.

Excellent use of light and color, very impressive.

purplepansey
07-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Don't mind the faces not there however, but since it focuses on bodies and clothing a bit of color would greatly improve it. OMHO!

yarddog
07-29-2009, 12:21 PM
I really like your style....though I was pleasantly surprised with your full figured Lovers....
This one...for me...is about those shadows.....they are just too cool......yd

eyecandy2
07-29-2009, 07:01 PM
It must be the end of the summer when everthing has faded. The excitement is gone and there isn't much left.

DanaLJensen
07-29-2009, 08:40 PM
I really love your contemporary style 'myenglish'... the subdued tones are lovely. There are two areas that bother me and that is of the far left figure - the shoulder, armpit and arm - they seem a bit scrawny, and also the chin of the girl in the striped shirt. And since La pointed out the hand, that too - but it doesn't capture my eye like the other two. I hope this is helpful.

The fact that we cannot see their faces makes the painting so much more intriguing!!

Wonderful!!

babydoll61
07-29-2009, 08:54 PM
I LOVE the no faces thing and the drab colors. You have a wonderful way of using just the parts you do to give a feeling of whatever it is you are trying to capture. With this one the summer theme is exemplified. Don't change a thing!