PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Nude of Jodie

rkcim
07-28-2009, 09:36 AM
This is a soft pastel nude of Jodie from a photo. I tried putting down different colors than what I saw and worked from a black and white photo. I liked her expression but it didn't come through in this sketch. I suppose I could have took the time and put in more detail but I thought I would leave it as is.

I included the underdrawing here also, done in 2B pencil.

~Kirby:thumbsup:

What do you think of this attempt? Any comments on paper choice, color of paper, color of background etc.

Jodie
9 1/4" x 6 1/4" Soft Pastel on Cansons Mi-Teintes Cream
By Kirby
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2009/191085-Jodie_underdrawing.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2009/191085-Jodie.jpg

AliciaS
07-28-2009, 03:31 PM
I like your drawing very much.
IMO the boobs are too perfect...unless you meant them to look like implants .
but implants are uneven as well..because the natural breast goes in different directions and different shape..
when doing a nude you really don't need to put a whole lot of information on the face since it is a story about the figure...
I would suggest softening up the face and not worry about getting every feature in.
Have you ever studied other artists who paint the figure..that may inspire you as well. Study those paintings and the colors they use on the flesh.
You can also go to the figure forum here..They are very helpful..I have spent alot of time there and they are always helpful to me..
keep at it..you will be very good when you start portraying the body more realisticly..

Kathryn Wilson
07-28-2009, 05:33 PM
I like the pose and the Canson is perfect for sketching and drawing.

You've gotten good advice from Alicia - perhaps hanging out in the figure forum as well as the portrait forum will give you some additional pointers on painting the figure and face.

I think you are doing better than you think - I'd advise working on a larger piece of Canson - you can get better sweeps of the arm for expressive painting and not get so detailed.

Next time, leave the hat or accessories off until last - you'll be better able to judge what you are doing under the hat - I remember what my teachers told me - always draw "through" the figure. In other words, draw the roundness of the figure - muscle tone and bone structure, they all count towards drawing the figure correctly.

Kathryn Wilson
07-28-2009, 05:36 PM
I wandered over to the Figure Forum and found this wonderful workshop for you to participate in:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=574793

DAK723
07-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Getting better at figure drawing is mainly about practice! Kathryn has given us a great link - this looks like fun! I also agree that working larger will help when it comes to the figure.

Your proportions are pretty good! One thing I would look at is the depiction of light and shadow. You have a few dark areas shown, but a clearer depiction of light and shadow will help create depth and form.

Keep on practicing! The figure is one of the most challenging of all painting subjects!

Don

rkcim
07-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Tomorrow Im off to get me some 18 x 24 newsprint. I dont have an easel though maybe I could prop it up on the desk somehow.

~Kirby:thumbsup: