PDA

View Full Version : Summer Hay (plein air)

cbcarnell
07-28-2009, 10:00 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-28-2009/62182_SummerHay.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Summer Hay (plein air)
Year Created:
Medium: Monotype
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 6 X 9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This has been one of the most beautiful summers we have had in quite some time. The colors seem more intense, the air is clear, and because of all of the rain we've been getting, greens abound.<br>Yesterday I sat out in a field and painted these bales of hay. It was so therapeutic - I just lost a friend to cancer and it helped ease the grief a bit to be able to be out on such a glorious day listening to the quiet sounds of nature.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All C & C is welcome and appreciated

allanom
07-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Glorious little piece! You have wonderfully captured that high, hot pregnant air and visual splendour of a mid-summer day. I especially love the subtle little purple in the shadow ends of the bales.

Condolences to you on the loss of your friend. Art -- and summer glory -- helps healing.

Spyderbabe
07-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Its a beautiful tribute. I know everytime you see this piece you will remember your friend.

yarddog
07-28-2009, 01:12 PM
.......just perfect....this spot is just down the road from here...you should have stopped by.....
really love this one...love it.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2009/182771-blissysmile.gif ..love it....yd

Chia
07-28-2009, 01:17 PM
This painting evokes a lovely sense on contentment for me. I can almost detect the scent of a rural summer day. The comp. & brushwork are spot on. No critique here, just kudos!

crazywoman53
07-28-2009, 01:30 PM
cb I enjoy all the work you have submitted but this speaks to my heart with the love of country and where I live. I can almost hear the birds singing. I hope it helped to soften the pain of you loss but remember no true loved one is ever gone as long as you keep them alive in your heart.

MRSBB
07-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Claire, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend, it always leaves an empty spot in our hearts.

Your painting is lovely and what an excellent job on the hay bales. They usually don't cut up here until late August or early September due to the short growing season. The background atmosphere is wonderful. I could look at this painting for a long, long time. It makes me feel at home......Lenore

Corby
07-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Claire, the earth is home and where we want to be. You have expressed it beautifully.

cbcarnell
07-29-2009, 01:14 AM
Thank you everyone for your support and compassionate comments. I was filled with such a sadness for days - especially thinking of her three children and how she wouldn't be able to be there when they got married or when they had their own children. Then I remembered her incredible spirit and love - something they can carry with them for the rest of her lives - as all of us will who were lucky enough to know her.

Thank you, Allan. Seeing those bits of purple in the bales was such a pleasure.
Thank you, Kathleen. I met my friend twenty years ago when our daughters played on the same softball team, and she was always so interested in what I was working on. I was alway suspicious that there was an artist lurking in there somewhere!
Thanks so much, yarddog.
Coralie, thank you for your kind comments. I am so glad that you got the sense of peace that I was feeling as I was working on this.
Thank you, crazywoman. I agree with you completely - we carry on those we lost in our hearts and memories.
Lenore, thanks so much for your lovely comments. We have had so much rain here that it seems as though they've been making hay all summer.
Corby - how very true, and I am so grateful to live in a place that has such beauty. Thank you.

mooz49
07-29-2009, 04:02 AM
Beautiful Claire ....I can feel the heat of that sun!

tali
07-29-2009, 07:13 AM
This is just perfect! It's wonderful that you were able to get the time to just observe, enjoy and contemplate the scene, after such a loss. Your sense of peace and renewal is evident in the painting. Your greens are so lovely without being "over-the-top". What colors did you use?

billmahler
07-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Too many painters hide behind the words "plein air" to justify hurried and thoughtless work.
Not so here. Good observation and rendering, Claire.
Nicely done.

purplepansey
07-29-2009, 10:06 AM
I can feel myself transported to that site, listening to the sounds of nature, it's lovely and beautifully painted too.

eyecandy2
07-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Very nicely done. Too bad it is so small. You should do a studio piece from this. It would make a beautiful piece over a fireplace or such. I love the softness of the painting. Keep 'em coming.

cbcarnell
07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi Anne - thanks for your comment!
I appreciate your comments, Tali. I used a fairly basic palette - all of the colors listed below, and then white. For my greens, I used one of these blues - ultramarine deep, cobalt or cerulean - mixed with either cad lemon, cad yellow medium or yellow ochre, then added just a miniscule bit of cadmium red light, permanent rose or permanent alizarin crimson to tone down the greens. In other areas I mixed up a greyish lavender, then would mix it into some green I already had mixed up to create a distant green.
Bill, I agree with your comment "Too many painters hide behind the words "plein air" to justify hurried and thoughtless work". One definitely has to use a different approach when painting outdoors, but I feel that it should never be at a sacrifice to the actual work of art.
Purple - then I have succeeded! Thank you!
Thanks, Phil. I will have to give your comment about doing this on a larger scale some serious consideration. :)

babydoll61
07-30-2009, 12:08 AM
The softness you created in this comp is just lovely. It gives a feeling of familiarity and warmth. Wonderful use of shadow values.

cbcarnell
07-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks very much, babydoll61.