GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "kensington"
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 48x48
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Whenever commissioned for a pet portrait, I try to come up with something that doesn't look like it was a shot from the Sears Portrait Studio. Here I cropped the composition very tightly on the face and went extreme with the lighting contrast.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Successful?

allanom
07-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Hey TScottDove: It's been a while!!

It's beautifully done, however it reads as an overexposed photo a bit too much for my taste. I'd go back in a put tone and definition in that blasted out area. I don't think you are flirting with Sears Portrait with this because of the cropping and the stylized, air-brushed look of it.

billmahler
07-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Hey - what's so bad about Sears portraits?
Next to White Castle hamburgers, they're the stuff of dreams.
Nice to see you posting, Scott.
I'm with Allan, just a bit more color in the high value areas and this is a winner.

Spyderbabe
07-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Love it... bet the client does too. 48 x 48 - I would love to see a photo of this with a chair or sofa near so we can appreciate the scale of it!

yarddog
07-28-2009, 02:43 PM
wow...too cool...at that size...I think all the rules change...it has a quality all to itself....it's not even a dog anymore....
I'm soooo not smart enough to contradict the experts...but I actually like the white parts...it's a statement isn't it...?
perhaps a little more gray for the transition..(in fact they may even be there irl?)....
especially the sharp spot on his ear....but just a subtle bit?....
so as not to loose the graphic effect that I'm sure looks very striking in this big format......yd

Corby
07-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Beautiful work scottdove! You even caught the snarl, I can almost hear it!

TScottDove
07-30-2009, 03:16 AM
Thanks, guys.
I think the jpeg might be a little more blown out than reality, but point taken. I need to watch that.

Attached is a pic with me (left) the dog owner, and the dog himself. The owner had contacted me about painting the dog as an anniversary present for the wife, but there wasn't time before the date. He said he'd do it for Christmas...

Just a couple of weeks later, the wife contacts me about doing a portrait for the husband's birthday. So when she brought him by the studio to surprise him, the surprise was on both of them.

laf.art
07-30-2009, 08:21 AM
This is the best dog portrait I've seen for ages, his character just shines through

mooz49
07-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Wow! ....lovely story Scott ....absolutely beautiful portrait!

La_
07-30-2009, 01:10 PM
lol

incredible!

it's brilliant and i wouldn't change a thing!

i've a wolfhound with a perpetual bad hair day that this idea would work really well with!

bravo, i'm betting they Love it and you're gonna get some commissions out of it!

la

Spyderbabe
07-30-2009, 03:21 PM
looks great - and you totally avoided being schmaltzy