PDA

View Full Version : Levitanian landscape

mgranstedt
07-27-2009, 02:38 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-27-2009/132754_Levitan_landscape.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Levitanian landscape
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 55 x 46 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a study of Isaac Levitan and the way he used contrast to create a mood in his paintings.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What can I do to further improve?

crazywoman53
07-27-2009, 03:52 PM
My eye keeps playing with the light green of the background hill verses all the blue in the foreground. The lt green wants to come forward. I see a straight edge on your foreground hill that appears you blocked in the shape and then added a few trees along the edge. It makes the painting appear very geometric to me. I went back and looked at Levitan's paintings and there is a lot of movement in them.. the edges are not hard shapes. I would suggest you look at the shapes of your hills and add some irregular curves to them and perhaps to the water as well to give the painting some softness. I would blue the background hill and lighten the foreground hill with more yellow tones. I am sure some of the more experienced artists will give you better direction than I have. You have a good start here.

mgranstedt
07-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Thank you for your comments! I will do some alterations this weekend and upload it.