PDA

View Full Version : San Gabriel Mountains

jmcedeno
07-26-2009, 04:17 PM
This is the view of the San Gabriel Mountains from the balcony of my house in Los Angeles, CA. The house is located on of a hill, this is why I'm looking down at the top of the trees. I started with Plein-Air sketches and I'm working on a 9x12 pastel, although it shows my signature it is a work in progress. I have removed all the house roofs in the area and in the background. I'm not happy with the mountains, what do you think?. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2009/159973-San_Gabriel_Mountains_view_from_my_balcony-IMG_0802.jpg I shall appreciate your C&C.

Kathryn Wilson
07-26-2009, 07:13 PM
What a great view from your window! I think you did a great job on the foliage and trees.

I think you've got the mountains about right, but you might re-think the value of the magenta color - it may be a bit bright and that may be throwing you off. Maybe more of a mauve than a magenta?

Donna T
07-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Hi Jose, This is very nice! I really get the feeling of looking down over the treetops and out to those mountains. What time of day did you do your plein air sketches? I guess I would like to know what the color of the light is - maybe that would help you figure out what needs to be done, if anything, to your mountains. I think they recede nicely but wonder if you might want to soften the differences between the colors on the central mountain with the red-violet areas. Perhaps just a light glaze with some of that blue-violet? I think the dark spaces between the trees might look better with a very dark warm color like a deep, dark burgandy, instead of the intense blue that you have. Some of the shaded areas near the outer parts of the trees may be influenced by the blue from the sky but those very deep interior spaces might look more real if they were not blue. If you have a kneaded eraser you could lift off some of the blue and try putting in a very dark warm instead - just to see if the effect looks more natural to you. This is most noticeable in the foreground and the effect decreases with distance. Sorry to ramble - this is a very nice painting just as it is!

Donna

Punky2
07-26-2009, 07:42 PM
I really like the foreground foliage. I like the colors and the designs that it all makes. The mid-ground trees are very nice too. The sky and distant mountains are well done but I agree about the magenta color. There's a bit of a swirl of magenta with a lighter blue in the center, on the central distant mountain that keeps drawing my eye. Maybe if you changed the colors the swirl would not be there.

Overall this is very nice.

Terri

aolaranora
07-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Great job!
I wish to take a look out of your window...:clap:

jackiesimmonds
07-27-2009, 02:54 AM
I agree about those mountains. Actually, it is not so much the colours you have used on them that is the problem, but the changes of TONE which are very contrast-y. Your magenta is quite a dark tone alongside touches of very pale pink. I think the suggestion of a light glaze of that nice mid-tone lavendar you have used, is a good suggestion, it will reduce the contrasts of lights and darks, and will knit the colours together without losing them completely. Perhaps a tiny burst of fix over the mountain, then keep that touch light, and swipe across with the side of the pastel, it will work beautifully.

Also, squint at your picture. See the strong curve to the left of the "gap" between the foreground foliage? Bit like a coloured ski slope? Well, the central warm green bush on the left, if you make it just a touch more generous a shape, to echo the shapes on other side of the gap, I think it would look better and would have less of a strong downward pull...but this is purely a personal thought about composition/design, you dont have to listen if you feel happier with it as it is.

what is the patch of light thro the gap? Is that water or land?

The overall look of your picture is very harmonious, even the sky works well with the treatment of the rest of the image, I think it will look great when framed! What a view to enjoy every day! Wow. Does it change with the seasons?

jmcedeno
07-29-2009, 10:13 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2009/159973-San_Gabriel_Mountains-IMG_0809.jpg Hi, Thank you very much for your comments you were all right I went back to the painting and applied your suggestions I think it is much improved, now.
Kathryn: I removed the magenta.
Donna: I muted the deep blue between the trees, I tried the deep dark burgundy but got similar results so decided to lift color instead.
Jackie: I raised the tree on the left as you suggested it does make a better composition. The patch of light between the gab is presently occupied by development, I wanted to show how the area was before as it appears in a vintage photo from the 1920's that shows a valley with no buildings just sand.

PETE K
07-29-2009, 10:41 PM
This is looking quite a bit better, really like it now.

Donna T
07-30-2009, 08:17 AM
This is beautiful Jose! The changes you made enhanced an already lovely piece. All this needs now is a frame.

Donna

Kathryn Wilson
07-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Jose, I am going to combine this thread with your original thread so that people can see the progress you've made with this painting. We like to keep these things altogether so the next time you have an update, post in the original thread and alert Merethe or me to put "update" in the title.

crazywoman53
07-30-2009, 01:06 PM
I think this painting has progressed quite well and turned out very nice. Isn't it wonderful to have the input of such talented people to help out? Kathryn how do we notify you to change the title to update?

Kathryn Wilson
07-30-2009, 01:26 PM
You can Private Message either Merethe or me - or you can notify us with that little red/white button up there in the blue bar next to the post #.

jmcedeno
07-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Thank you all for your kind words it give me the enthusiasm to carry on.

Merriel
08-01-2009, 09:16 PM
This is a beautiful painting. I like the changes you made. You have a great view from there.

merriel

jmcedeno
09-02-2009, 08:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2009/159973-San_Gabriel_Mountains-IMG_0809.jpg Hi, Thank you very much for your comments you were all right I went back to the painting and applied your suggestions I think it is much improved, now.
Kathryn: I removed the magenta.
Donna: I muted the deep blue between the trees, I tried the deep dark burgundy but got similar results so decided to lift color instead.
Jackie: I raised the tree on the left as you suggested it does make a better composition. The patch of light between the gab is presently occupied by development, I wanted to show how the area was before as it appears in a vintage photo from the 1920's that shows a valley with no buildings just sand.
Hello from Los Angeles to All, look what is happening to my beautiful San Gabriel Mountain the fire has consumed all the vegetation and it continues to spread burning everything on its path I feel very sorry for the lost of lives and property, thank God I'm a good 30 miles from it but the smoke and ashes take a toll on breathing that's why I remain indoors a great part of the day and only go out wearing a mask. I'm sured you have seen the devastation on TV, in the evening the flares and the orangy glow in the smoke cloud looks like looking at a Volcano's eruption throwing up lava, eerie.
Anyway, is there going to be a Soft Pastel challlenge for Sept's 09 ?
I searched the Pastel Talk Forum and didn't find anything. Please, keep me posted, thank you.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2009/159973-San_Gabriel_Volcano-IMG_0827_edited-1.jpg

Lynndidj
09-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Jim:

So sorry to see the burning going on in California. Your painting is lovely. I have one comment to make to you for future reference. In the first one you showed us, the blue you used for the shadows in the trees was the same hue and intensity as the blue in the mountains in the distance. When I squinted my eyes it would follow the blue around in a sort of circle of the shadows in the foreground and the mountains in the distance. When you dulled that down in both the foreground and the mountains, the mountains then receded back where they belonged, and my eye no longer traveled that circle. Good work!!!

Lynn