PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion

hewill4giveu
07-24-2009, 11:45 PM
I have just started doing pastels this last month. This is my third picture from colin Bradleys packages. I took out the crack that looks like a tree near the foot after i took this picture. To me it didn't look real and it distracted from the mountain lion. I have never had any artist training. LOL unless you count 6th grade. I'm 62 so thats been a while.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2009/184319-Mountain_Lion.JPG

Kev-B
07-25-2009, 05:49 AM
Hi Jerry ..

Good to "meet" you ..

I like this .. particularly the softly muted sky .. did you do that yourself ? .. and if so, how please ? ... or was the paper already "marbled" ? ...

Bye for now,

Kev ..

ocmd123
07-25-2009, 06:34 AM
Hi Jerry,
Very nice work rendering the lion, and I like the colors in the rock. Is this done in pastel or colored pencil?

hewill4giveu
07-25-2009, 10:26 AM
I did this in pastel pencil faber castell pitt pencils. As for the sky it also was done with the faber. Colin usually has you use the colors you used in the picture for back ground. In this case the greys a tad of the red and golden ocher . He has you put down a good amount of 103 ivory then rub it in with your finger. Then put the other colors down rubbing them in as you go. I did the rock with light grey as a base then added lines all over and put in the ochre along the lines for cracks. i went back over it with light grey it blended and softened the cracks. LOL don't know if this is what a true artist would do or not but its what i did. Thank you for the comments.

GaryNorthants
07-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Hi Jerry, great piece. I would suggest you try Colins technique on a more toothy surface like Colourfix or La Carte and see what you think. He works on Ingres paper and using pencils it can influence the overall picture quite a lot. It is especially noticeable when applying darks as they can be very stark and overpowering. Watching his demos you'll see he takes great care to underpaint lights under the darks to prevent them being overpowering. He calls it cushioning. I you use a more toothy surface then your other colours become more intense and the balance is easier to achieve and you also have the advantage that you can do a bit of finger blending to soften and unite the fur without smudging and flattening everything. Hope that helps
Gary

hewill4giveu
07-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Thank you i will try to find the paper. Just learning and boy do i have a long way to go.

Colorix
07-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Jerry, you're doing real well! The most important thing is that you enjoy painting, and that you're open to learning. This cat is nicely rendered.

Pastel pencils and velour paper seem to go together especially well, so that might be another thing to try.

Keep them coming,

Charlie

PETE K
07-26-2009, 03:24 PM
HI Jerry, this is wonderful, hope you keep at it. it's sure is fun.

Paula Ford
07-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Very nice! He's got lots of attitude.

hewill4giveu
07-29-2009, 01:05 AM
Thank you to all who have commented im open for any suggestions. I wish i could figure out what colors of faber to use on a Golden retriever with redish ears. I have waisted probable 5-10 peices of paper trying to find just the right colors. I have used gimp but seems when i do the colors they are to overpowering or muted. Just cannot find the right mix. Thank you Terry

crazywoman53
07-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Jerry.. I think you are off to a wonderful start! The only thing that bothers me is the dark midline of the mouth running up to the noise. It is a little hard. Try softening it and maybe a tad bit more shaping of the nose so it doesn't look flat there. Keep up the good work!

hewill4giveu
07-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Great point crazywoman53 something i hadn't thought of. Thanks

wrangler
10-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Try again,practice make perfect!.

GaryNorthants
10-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Hi Again Terry,
with reference to your question about the golden retriever consider you have light and dark and warm and cool, pick the mid tones out of your ref and go with what palette you have to hand rather than trying to perfectly colour match. use the complimentary to the local colour in the shadows and you'll be halfway there before you know it and don't forget to keep posting your results
Gary