PDA

View Full Version : pastel portrait

chdfs
07-23-2009, 12:28 AM
I did this portrait for the monthly portrait challange.

I'm quiet new to pastels and I find it challenging to get the right colors and values. I struggled a lot with color ( and drawing) for this portrait. I would like to hear some contructive critique and how I could improve with pastels.

Thank you

MJGresko
07-23-2009, 12:35 AM
This is really nice for someone not familiar with pastels! I like the colors you used. Are you going to finish it? Portraits are not easy to do so pat yourself on the back for doing a good job!

helenh
07-23-2009, 07:43 AM
You did a great job! For someone starting with pastels I would recommend using a sanded surface. Looks like you used Canson paper. Some folks can get terrific results with it, but I think most people do better with something like Colourfix, Wallis, Uart, Ampersand, etc. They allow so much more layering resulting in richness of color. Also with the sanded papers you can experiment with underpaintings giving your paintings an added dimension.

Helen

DAK723
07-23-2009, 08:16 AM
This is excellent! Your struggles are not apparent in the final result!

Don

gingersnap
07-23-2009, 09:11 AM
wow!!! great job! i like you color choices. i see no struggle!!! i think you tackled this beautifully! ginger

paulb
07-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Agree with the above - it looks fine! Would also agree with whoever suggested sanded paper. Or the smoother side of Canson Mi-tentes (what you've used looks like Ingres to me)

chdfs
07-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the encouragement.

The paper that I used is Daler-Rowney pastel paper. I started a different painting on Ampersand pastel board and I feel the difference.
How do you get very strong darks with pastel withour using black?

Mike_Beeman
07-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Nive expressive quality to this...keep 'em coming!

paulb
07-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the encouragement.

The paper that I used is Daler-Rowney pastel paper. I started a different painting on Ampersand pastel board and I feel the difference.
How do you get very strong darks with pastel withour using black?

Either very dark blue, brown or green. With Sennelier, the numbers you need are 177 (blue) and 002 (brown). Can't remember the number for the green.

chdfs
07-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Thank you Paul

AliciaS
07-23-2009, 01:44 PM
you have a wonderful sensitivity here...the eyes...are beautiful not too much information..
your doing great.

Colorix
07-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Very nice, you're doing just great! There is a live and living person there.

To get darks, the easiest is to buy the extra dark sticks, but you can get very decent darks by layering the darkest one's you have in the red/brown, blue, and green families (the most common ones to have deeper darks) as combined they will result in darker shades than what they have separately. You can also start with a black, and then layer colour on top of the black, it will look much better than putting black over a colour.

Keep them coming,

Charlie

mudfish
07-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I make my own darks because I could never get what I wanted....use a mortar & pestle to completely crush a black with whatever hue you want..green, blue, red whatever. About 2 to 1 color to black. Drip in a few drops of water, mix it up thoroughly and roll it into a stick and let it dry. Careful not to get too much water and don't leave any chunks or you'll get a surprise blob when you use it. I do this a lot for getting various blues for water too.

Aires
07-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Amazing in any medium, much more so when new to pastels. The pensive look and the colors used are well done. :thumbsup:

PETE K
07-24-2009, 10:08 PM
For some one starting this is very well done. don't know anything about protriats so i'm not anyhelp to you, but do know what i like. nicely done

Dcam
07-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey: This is very nice. There is life in that face....good job. The only nit I have is the area where the clothing starts might be smoothed out to a fade with some blending? One of my favorites, "Daniel Greene" says not to use the side of the pastel paper that looks like measured little indentations...use the smoother side. Again: I think you should be proud of this, great work.
Derek

GaryNorthants
07-25-2009, 11:29 PM
I see no struggles here either, good work
Gary