PDA

View Full Version : river walk

Coop
07-22-2009, 04:25 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-22-2009/16788_WebSan_Antonio.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: river walk
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
just came back to this site after several years, always enjoyed the critique section of this site but only recently have had the inte<br>et speed to post a photo of my work, this one is new, oil is still wet:) give me all you have on comments i DO NOT get my feelings hurt. I want to reach a level i can start to market myself so give me all your thoughts on what and were...thanks :)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
just give me your thoughts...good or bad. Color usage especially

Corby
07-22-2009, 10:15 PM
I like the interest that this presents in the activities and places but also in the unusual viewpoint. It presents a challenge in presenting the light. I like the way it is handled though there is a blurriness to the image that sort of throws one off. It seems to me that you have used tube black to alter the foreground colors? In my mind it kills the finer nuances of the light. A black made up of Thalo Green and Alizarin Crimson or with Burnt Umber and Thalo blue gives a better ability to show both warm and cool blacks. But I hasten to add that I am not a colorist...others could perhaps comment on color with greater authority than I.

billmahler
07-22-2009, 10:39 PM
I can certainly feel that sun, so you've done a good job of portraying the time of day and general feeling of the place.

You're a good painter and I like this a lot - there are no nits to pick - just something I think we all should ponder as we strive for higher levels:

The really top flight paintings I've seen leave me with one, or at the most two, memorable thoughts or feelings.

What would they be here?

laudesan
07-22-2009, 11:02 PM
I had to look to see where you live. This could quite easily be South Bank Brisbane.. I love it...

yarddog
07-23-2009, 12:11 AM
it could be Palm Beach as well.....I like the inside out thing a whole lot...
it seems as though the dark shade would be cooler....with some blues in your mix.....
the sunshine contrast is just too cool...for the shade not to be cooler...hahaha....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2009/182771-icecubesmiley.gif ......yd

Coop
07-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the input so far...yes Corby i did pull out the dreaded mars black which i rarely do but other mixtures without a bit of it were just not getting me there.:( The photo does not seem to show the many dark greens on the left side. Was a fun challange for me none the less. I live in southern NM USA but this was painted from a photo/recent trip to San Antonio Texas. Thanks again folks!

allanom
07-23-2009, 12:02 PM
It's beautfully composed and realized -- especially for such a complicated composition. The walking figure is a prefect point of entry. Nicely done!