Dimension: 40x40 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Study.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

Spyderbabe
07-22-2009, 12:33 PM
It works. The tension of their slant of their bodies counteracts the U shape of the wall. I think the mass of his body and the shadow on her face are all important.
Its funny today to see people at the beach wearing so many clothes.

tommie
07-22-2009, 01:38 PM
I really like this piece. I love monchromatic paintings especially with mostly white. I really do! One thing I think you could improve on is the man. If you want only. He needs a little more definition. The shadow between the two legs needs some reworking. I don't understand the dark triangular shape touching her right shoulder although I like the shape there, it leads you to her face and creates a beautiful negative space between the two faces. I think some negative space between the body and the arm would add interest, but make it very understated, in shadow. Maybe the white of her dress showing through a little. I really like this painting all in all. I love all of the woman and the man's face. I love the emotional connection between the two. I love the composition and balance of this piece. The gesture is great! I also love the fact that it is an older couple on the beach still in love after all these years. It is very tender and special. Good work

Corby
07-22-2009, 01:48 PM
This is astonishing...beautiful just as it is.

yarddog
07-22-2009, 10:38 PM
got a new favorite......
this is well done....comp is killer......yd

laudesan
07-22-2009, 11:22 PM
I love the intimacy of this, and the minimalistic palette.

myenglishisterrible
07-23-2009, 03:59 AM
Thanks everybody. Specially tommie who spent time to write commentaries that can really improve the work.
I'd really love to make a big canvas out of this little study, but that comes from a very little, really bad old photo, on which you see, for instance, absolutely nothing on the suit of the man. That's black. I can draw without model, but that's better with. So I think I will find an old suit, wait for a sunny day, and ask a friend to take some photos of my wife and me.

aludal
07-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Yeah, this is art: a very good play of lights and shadows that work. One thing I don't like is the excessive length of a man's sleeve: the point where their hands may meet in a nice, touching jesture he has that sleeve still running down like a pant. But it's just me, and who knows, maybe it's a symbolical of a tragedy of not achieving intimacy with a guy who's afraid to roll up his sleeves, so to speak? just kidding.

allanom
07-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Yea for old-fashioned love! A terrific composition. And, yeah, if you could solve the man's suit a little better, this would sing.

Coop
07-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Im a fan of this style of painting so i am going to say BRAVO! and taking into consideration how much is lost in photographing art...from what i can see your value control is very well selective especially were extreme darks are. may i suggest a little more attention to middle tones even though the absence of such fusing is part of this style's charm,..but even so...i still think a little more middle tones would keep the viewer dreaming up what they want to be there..give em a little more lead if that makes sense?

tgsloth
07-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Henri,
since you're in study phase I offer some alternates for your consideration. I'd follow the rule that the sky should be the lightest part of the composition which, in this case, makes an agreeable balance with the value of the bench. And then the value range in general could be enhanced with lighter lights and darker darks. I try to illustrate with the apended photoshop. As to the man's suit, let's say he lost a lot of weight since he last visited his tailor.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2009/124239-122009_lovers600.jpg

aludal
07-24-2009, 01:47 AM
I like the original, utterly tragical heavens better.
As for the sleeve length, just a little man's fingertips showing as touching her hand would help. Otherwise, it's kinda hard to decide what his hand is doing down there.

laf.art
07-24-2009, 07:28 AM
So tender. Beautiful work, as are the paintings on your website

myenglishisterrible
07-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks, everybody!
That's a study, and that needs indeed some improvements (coop: specially the midtones, yes).
tgsloth: nice! In a certain way, that's far better. But I'm not sure... maybe aludal is right: the mood is stronger with a dark sky. But it's very beautiful as you did.

pip66
07-25-2009, 12:46 PM
I love this, to me they are stealing time together, like there is some urgency between them yet futility. I think I have seen this expression on my Mother's face. Wonderful.

TScottDove
07-27-2009, 07:23 PM
stunning. don't touch it.
would be beautiful larger - even without additional detail