Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20X24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Painted from a picture.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like to paint loose but can never get there. Let's say that is an underpainting although there is alot of paint at some places, I erased alot never being happy. I want to bring some life to it and have a loose feeling with my paint. I want to create nice shapes, specially with the face. Can I be bold in contrast with the face? Are choice of colors OK?

Raymo
07-21-2009, 06:46 PM
If you want loose and colorful, Google image ...Diane Whitehead moose ....and checkout how she handles it. You have a great start here.

jojo2
07-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Thank You

Will do

Fulano de Tal
07-22-2009, 02:21 AM
The moose's body looks pastel pasty because you are mixing the brown with white to lighten it. The actual colors of moose fur, ranging from darkest to lightest would be sepia, burnt umber, burnt sienna, ochers and into cad yellow for highlights. There is even some blue in the darkest areas.

If you would avoid white and mix tube colors that have the values you need, it will look better. While adding white does lower the value, it also desaturates the color, causing that pasty look. Don't push the same paint around too much.

jojo2
07-22-2009, 10:45 AM
You're right, I did put some white on the body mostly. I will add some paint on top and try to get it right. I mixed ultramarine with burnt umber for the dark. Thinking to get rid of the orange and replace it with red. Thanks for comments.

Spyderbabe
07-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Two things to try for a loose style - use a larger brush and set a timer - this will force you to capture large masses of values and avoid overworking a piece.

jojo2
07-22-2009, 01:26 PM
I'll go with big brush. Always afraid to screw values when going big.

jojo2
07-22-2009, 11:06 PM
I am done. Thank you all, you got me thinking. There's way to much paint but I've learned something big I think. I am happy with the outcome.

jojo2
07-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Picture not very good. Trying to post but run into problems. Looks better in person. Thank you!

aludal
07-23-2009, 05:54 AM
Very good. I'd be adding more dark holes in the background forest -- blueish dark green, to show a distance. For the same purpose of kicking back the background (where it belongs), I'd be elaborating on reflections closer to that far shoreline While it's wet still, I'd be scratching some jagged teeth pattern on the moose to show its furs, then brush in very lightly it with a lighter tone in lights. And sure, I'd be turning the moose's eye on the viewer for better, scarier effect, but it's just me and my Robert Plant portrait talking, lol.

jojo2
07-23-2009, 08:53 PM
All great suggestions! I cannot paint forest or trees, so I am afraid of adding anything. Scratching with a knife? Going back? Never done that, I could try because I could always add more paint later. remember, I am a beginner and never get anything worth putting on the wall. This one is OK like that for my cottage where nobody cares. I will remember those suggestions! Thank you

aludal
07-24-2009, 01:35 AM
adding paint is too simple as a technique, lol. Lots of miracles in painting can be achieved by "subtracting" paint. E.g., scratching off something with a wooden tip of his brush, with a thumbnail, or even with a thumb was one of the favourite techniques of later Rembrandt van Rijn.

You can start with scratching trunks in the forest.
One more thing that bothered me from the start, just couldn't formulate it: your painting will look much better if you could add to it a piece of canvas of the same size and continue painting the moose's ass on it and a tidbit beyond, lol. Much better compositionally.

jojo2
07-24-2009, 10:24 AM
I will do some scratching but I'm afraid my moose will have to stay assless!! Thank you

jojo2
07-24-2009, 10:28 AM
By the way, being French I had to figure out what lol means. I am also lol!

MRSBB
07-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi Jojo and welcome to the forum. I think your rework is a great improvement over the first one. Great suggestions about the dark in the forest. I would keep this one and try another one again. Thanks for sharing and keep having fun.....Lenore

La_
07-25-2009, 01:10 PM
great advise you've received and i think you did some marvelous improvements, especially the antlers, and much more appropriate colors - i love his expression ... Good Job! :thumbsup:

sign him, frame him, hang him with pride :)
(sorry he got a little over run by pixels when i sharpened your image)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2009/84648-Image1.jpg

la

aludal
07-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
Sweet parable, Lenore. Only I think it's more suited for car drivers. Sorry, I'm just 57 yo Russian which might be too old, or too young, to get into a frame here in CA or in your Colorado. Colorado is absolutely beautiful when looked upon through your eyes/photographs. Please paint it, you did the half of it already: you've seen it lovingly. So I think the best attitude for an artist might be of a seer, a viewer, and not a driver/passer by. Sure I'm just a Russian illegal alien to talk that way, so please disregard everything that may offend you in over ther in Colorado. Like half the Moose, lol.

yarddog
07-26-2009, 07:42 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2009/182771-elgsmiley.gif don't need the backhalf....thankyou....
greatly improved version over first....yd

HRobinson
07-27-2009, 04:26 PM
One of the best exercises for learning how to paint "loose" is to time yourself. So, e.g., on the same size canvas, give yourself 45 minutes and do it again. It works plus, it's fun! You can always trash it but, chances are, with how you have taken and executed nicely on the criticism, it will be even better than your otiginal. -h

jojo2
07-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Thank you all. Just drove my kids to summer camp. Have great ambitions. Maybe a loon. Talk to you soon