GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Moose
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20X24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Moose painted from a picture I found on the net. I am a beginner painter.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I want to paint in a loose form and the painting looks rigid. I always get to that stage and I don't know how to finish. I want to have nice shapes on my moose, particularly the face. How can I do that? Can I go bold with contrast on the face?

Corby
07-21-2009, 11:44 AM
jojo2 I would say you are doing quite well. Comparing your moose with the reference it looks like you nicely understand the values involved. The key to what you are seeking lies not so much in painting as in drawing. What the bones are for the body drawing is for painting. Before painting your moose you could get a newsprint pad (really cheap stuff) and get almost any sort of marker and explore the shape of the head. Make lines! Dont erase the line that you may consider to be wrong is important. leave it because it becomes the guide for the next, the more accurate line. If you like what you are doing with lines in the drawing you can just transfer your activity, not the actual image to your canvas and work it up! With time and practice the looseness and the reality will grow stronger and more meaningful.

I really like the sense of bulk, your moose has presence...the head, neck and shoulders are nicely realized. The tail end seems to be weaker...

TurkeyVulture
07-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Wow. Great advice about the marker on a cheap pad, Corby! I'm going to try that myself to improve my own drawing.