PDA

View Full Version : Antoinette's Village

eyecandy2
07-20-2009, 04:31 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-20-2009/114934_VersaillesVillageSm.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Antoinette's Village
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I spent 6 days in Paris last month and took many photos. I created this paint from several of the photos that I too when I visited Versailles

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I don't have a specific questions. I would just like to hear some critiques before I sign this painting.

Mikey
07-20-2009, 05:05 PM
This is a delight to the eye. My main crit will be that the compostion suggest the house as a fiical point, whereas my eye is wandering over to that tower which is if architectural interest. I think that could be solved easily with a quick glaze.

cbcarnell
07-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Gorgeous liquidy reflections - this is lovely!

eyecandy2
07-24-2009, 06:57 PM
I would certainly get more comments on this painting. How about it?

crazywoman53
07-24-2009, 07:23 PM
I like this painting in that it probably looks almost exactly like what you saw there. I am also torn at times between painting what was there and changing it to make it a better painting. I agree with the comments above. The biggest thing I see is the tin soldier disease of too many repeatative shapes in even rows. Your forground grasses especially would benefit from breaking that in a row look and bunch some of them up to add interest. I like the swan!

MRSBB
07-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Phil

"I would certainly get more comments on this painting. How about it?"

Phil I think you would get more comments if you comment on other peoples art also...................As to your painting of Antoinette's Village I think you did a good job on it. I like the building on the left as that is where my eye wants to go. I don't think the foreground works for me as it seems to throw the painting out of balance. Were it my painting I would change the foreground to water..............Lenore

laudesan
07-24-2009, 10:13 PM
This reminds me of an English scene. Quite delightful.

totsy
07-25-2009, 12:59 AM
Phil this reminds me of a photo I took in the Brugge, Belgium.

I really like the little islands jutting out into the water, and I really like the small building on the right. What I see though is a sameness in the greens. I think if you do a little tweaking in the values it would add more interest to this painting. I also agree with Lenore that if the immediate foreground was changed to water it would probably improve the painting.

yarddog
07-27-2009, 01:59 AM
this is a really pleasant scene.....the landscape looks very planned and manicured....not unlike Palm Beach County...hahaha
I think the small islands look a bit contrived...to avoid "cutting the canvas" with the water......
but that's likely because I've been there....several times...hahaha
I'm not sure about the foreground....but not sure what it wants....perhaps more weeds.....the plain & fancy affect?....
or as MRSBB suggested...all water?....perhaps some tall weeds that would cross the awkward islands.....
and point my eye at that lovely church tower......all in all....I think it's a pleasant painting..........yd

eyecandy2
07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2009/114934-VillageFromAcrossTheLakeSm.jpg

Made some small corrections and this is where I'm at now. I don't intend to cut the canvas and I can't show you the original because this was painted using several photos as a reference. If you go to Versaille, you won't find this exact view. Thanks for all of your critiques.

eyecandy2
07-31-2009, 06:01 PM
After looking at this painting over and over again, I began to see two paintings in one. I have the feeling that this isn't a good thing to do since it causes a distracting conflice when viewing the painting. Here is what I mean.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2009/114934-TwoPintingsSm.jpg

tali
08-03-2009, 03:20 AM
That's exactly what it needed! How are you going to split it up?

yarddog
08-03-2009, 12:47 PM
well gee...You are so right.....
too bad it isn't watercolor paper....haha...good thing it ain't a board....
can you restretch it/them...?? and hang them together.....or perhaps revisit it all together...?
I'd also like to know how this is accomplished...keep us "posted"?......yd

eyecandy2
08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
It was easy to split it up in photoshop, but I'm not sure of how to do it with the canvas. If I remove it from the stretchers and cut it, I'll lose about an inch and a half of the painting in putting it back on stretchers. However, I could cut it and glue it onto hardboard which would work very well. Any other suggestions?:confused:

purplepansey
08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Phil, I've never been there but I sure like your painting, no crits from me. But since you have it divided seeing two paintings and would not rather go that route, maybe if you change the water to have it curving around from right to left bringing it to the small house it will lead the eye to the larger house

tali
08-04-2009, 03:40 AM
I think cutting it (vvvvvvvvvery carefully) and applying it to hardboard would work great! Just make sure you use a reversable adhesive--I think miracle muck (http://canvaspanels.com/Products,001.html#Anchor3)is the recommended product, but I'm not completely sure. The two would look splendid hanging side by side. If you are handy with power tools, you could even add a nice deep cradle for a frameless display--I've done this with a few of my paintings and the response has been positive. Good luck!