PDA

View Full Version : Shore grass at sundown

Enid Goyers
07-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Hello,
I recently saw this spot and fell in love with it.
Doree-pastel block paper 30 x 40 cm - Jaxell soft pastels, background violet blue with water color.
Admittedly the mirroring is bad and the ripples are not straight (I will correct them). Can anybody help me how to do the mirroring without too much mess?
Thank you for any help or cc, all welcome.
Enidhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2009/133937-K640_P1040268.JPG

Colorix
07-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Hi Enid,

It's beautiful! Did you paint it outdoors, on location? It has that special glow. The soft purples really 'pop' the reeds!

The reflections, the mirror images, look great to me. Slightly duller, slightly less detailed, slightly less contrast -- that's perfect, as usually they look like that. A good way to check angles of reflections is to turn the painting on its side:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2009/117343-Enid.jpg

You did very well, see?

Charlie

joseph01
07-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi Enid,
This is a very strong composition and the complementary colors make those reeds pop! Well done! I totally agree with Charlie... I wouldn't touch a thing.
Joe

Kathryn Wilson
07-20-2009, 06:57 PM
It depends on whether you want a mirror effecto or a more blurred effect -

to blur, I take the back edge of my hand, make a fist and then pull the colors down through the water.

PETE K
07-20-2009, 08:41 PM
I think this looks very good, love the grasses. Kathryn. do you mean something like Bob Ross pulling down some colour with his 3 inch brush instead using your hand? that sounds like a good idear. i'm going to have to give it a try. i would love to the effect i get from it.

Paula Ford
07-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Reflections look great to me also! Beautiful piece Enid. The light is fabulous!

Kathryn Wilson
07-20-2009, 10:07 PM
I think this looks very good, love the grasses. Kathryn. do you mean something like Bob Ross pulling down some colour with his 3 inch brush instead using your hand? that sounds like a good idear. i'm going to have to give it a try. i would love to the effect i get from it.

Exactly Pete - try it in a sketch first so that you get the right pressure. I do it rather firmly. In other small places, rather than in open water, I will use just the side of my pinky finger.

In this example of Enid's, if she wants to keep the grass detail, she doesn't want to use this method.

DAK723
07-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Very nice piece!! The colors really glow against the grayed blues and purples of the background! I wouldn't touch a thing!

Don

paulb
07-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Was gonna say trun it upside-down before Colorix got in ther before me!

Enid Goyers
07-25-2009, 04:30 AM
Hi everybody,
I made some corrections and hope it looks better now.
I used the Bob Ross water mirror technique, the most simple method but not very precise.
Thank you anyway for your cc, I appreciated all of them.
Enjoy your weekend.
Eniodhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2009/133937-K640_P1040334.JPG

jackiesimmonds
07-25-2009, 05:52 AM
looks very nice. Just one thing to remember for the future...ripples close to you will be wider apart than ripples further away. They should be quite close together. It is a perspective thing!

Jackie